insulin resistance

lilibet

Apparently, yes

Its called 'double diabetes'. Dont know much more than that, maybe google it and see?

L

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
my dr thought i was so id metformin for a couple of yrs, now ive lost a lot of weight im not :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes. Over years/decades, (assuming for the moment there are only two types and ignoring the autoimmune process) type 1 and type 2 move towards being the same condition, in that in T2 the beta cells eventually pack up completely, whilst type 1s gradually become more insulin resistant.

Like everyone else (diabetic or not) Type 1s are more insulin resistant when the body is under stress, hence our bs/insulin doses climb when we get flu etc, so there's no reason that can't happen due to excess weight, steroid treatment etc.

That said, there are veteran T1s here still on small doses, so the above clearly isn't inevitable. Partly the luck of the draw I guess, like complications.

jopar

It is aslo possible to be classed as T1 and T2 together :roll:

How they come about this tag both ways I'm not 100% sure though

Part that it's to do with family history, your medical history they consider firstly, there is the c-peptide test and also a GAD test (but I'm not 100% sure if this is one of the same) or how they use it to determin what!

But as insulin resistance, as already pointed out there are several things that could effect resistence, even the your current blood glucose level, I have several calculations of insulin/mmol/l if I have to correct a BG, not only do I have to consider the time of day, but my actual BG reading as well... As different BG will need a slightly different raito to bring my BG down by a set amount if that makes any sense!

So if I'm below 10mmol/l I would use about 0.3 units to bring my levels down to around the 4 marks, but if I'm above 14mol/l then I need about 0.75 units to lower my BG by 2 mmol/l's as I'm more resistant to insulin at higher levels