insulin times

yule1yule

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I AM TYPE 2 DIABETIC CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVICE - DO YOU HAVE TO GIVE HUMULIN 1 INSULIN AT THE SAME TIME EVERY DAY OR CAN YOU GIVE IT AT DIFFERENT TIMES EACH MORNING

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @yule1yule
welcome to the forum !! :)

here is a copy and paste about Humulin 1

Humulin I contains a type of insulin called isophane insulin. This is known as an intermediate-acting insulin. When injected under the skin it starts to work within 1 to 2 hours and its effects last for about 16 to 24 hours. It helps to give a background control of blood glucose throughout the day.

if you are only taking Humulin your care team will be hoping that by taking a "background" insulin it will help to keep your BG's controlled , along with your diet.

it really should be taken at the same time each day !

Reactions: Struma

yule1yule

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there @yule1yule
welcome to the forum !! :)

here is a copy and paste about Humulin 1

Humulin I contains a type of insulin called isophane insulin. This is known as an intermediate-acting insulin. When injected under the skin it starts to work within 1 to 2 hours and its effects last for about 16 to 24 hours. It helps to give a background control of blood glucose throughout the day.

if you are only taking Humulin your care team will be hoping that by taking a "background" insulin it will help to keep your BG's controlled , along with your diet.

it really should be taken at the same time each day !
THANKYOU FOR YOUR REPLY . I ALSO TAKE SITAGLIPTIN 50 mg DAILY . THE REASON I ASKED IF IT HAD TO BE GIVEN AT THE SAME TIME EACH DAY IS THE DISTRICT NURSES ARE SUPPOSE TO BE COMING TO DO IT AS I AM DISABLED - THEY SAID I WOULD HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT AS THEY COULDN'T COME AT THE SAME TIME EVERYDAY [EVEN THO THEY ARE COMING ALTERNATE MORNINGS TO DO SOME UNRELATED TREATMENT] . I WAS ON HUMULIN 1 BEFORE AND IT WAS CHANGED TO WEEKLY EXENATIDE BUT GOT SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS FROM IT SO IT WAS STOPPED AND I WAS PUT ON SITAGLIPTIN AND PIOGLITAZIDE BUT MY HbA1c HAVE CONTINUED TO RISE . SO I AM RESTARTING BACK ON THE HUMILIN 1 ON MONDAY . WHAT I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHEN I WAS ON IT BEFORE THE NURSES USED TO COME EACH MORNING AND ADMINISTER IT BETWEEN 9.15 AM AND 11.45 AM - IT WAS NOT THE SAME TIME EVERY TIME - SO IN YOUR OPINION WOULD THE LATTER TIMES BE OKAY ?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the less difference between the times given would be better but if its a case of having it or not then a two hour difference I think would be ok. (I used to me on mixed insulin's a long time ago)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @yule1yule
that does make things a bit more difficult.
as Humulin I is an intermediate isophane insulin , it lasts around 16 -24 hours and although not critical that it is taken at the exact same time each day - it is just an extra amount of variability in your daily routine you could do without.

are you testing your blood sugars at all ??
monitoring your blood sugars on a daily basis at the same times ( upon waking ) or just before you eat , will give you a picture of whether the timing of doses is having an impact on your blood glucose levels.