Insulin

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi this might sound abit strange but my blood sugars seem to be high since I've been on holiday and now I'm home there even higher but I've been taking my insulin as normal could it be my insulin isn't working anymore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea but if I reply your question will stay on the top of the bulletin board and you may get and answer.

Reactions: djry

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you changed vials of insulin since you came back? Is there any chance your insulin could have gotten hot whilst travelling, breaking it down and making it less effective? How long have you been running high? It doesn't sound strange, sometimes diabetes does throw a spanner in the works.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Also, did any of your insulin get put into the hold on the plane. Some plane holds are not temperature controlled so can be subject to freezing conditions, and therefore spoiling the insulin.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Weather changes matter. I've had to almost halve my insulin as the weather is much cooler.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a possibility that your insulin was spoiled during travel like others have mentioned. But then again there could be a number of other reasons why your sugar is now running higher. I'm having that problem at the moment and trying to figure it out. I hope you can get your numbers moving in the right direction soon. I wish you the best. :)

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @djry,

This happened to me after a longer than expected holiday in Mexico. Couldn't get my levels down but put that down to stress.

I woke up one morning, about a week after getting back (using the insulin I'd taken with me) and felt awful. My ketones were through the roof and I had to be admitted to hospital.

My DSN couldn't be sure but did suggest it could be due to the insulin I took with me expiring due to heat/altitude so told me to throw any bottles of insulin away that I'd brought back from holiday.

I hope this helps. My only other suggestion would be if you are feeling unwell or aren't quite back in a routine yet?

Keep testing and check your ketones