Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was at the gym today, my usual programme of weights and cardio. A trainer who has seen me there but who is not my trainer stopped for a chat.
The inevitable “what are your goals?” Question came up. I explained that I’m T1 so want to stay healthy and use exercise as part of my sugar control.
He immediately asked if I low carb, suggested fasting and gave me some unasked for lc tips.
Just my gym or has anyone else had similar?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
At our local gym one of the personal trainers basically insinuated when he found out that my GS was low carb keto and training, that people following a keto or low carb regime are in some way retarded so maybe it's just your gym.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
At our local gym one of the personal trainers basically insinuated when he found out that my GS was low carb keto and training, that people following a keto or low carb regime are in some way retarded so maybe it's just your gym.
Wow, hug to your grandson. Although I guess GS could probably take care of himself.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The cheek of them! Wow. I think we know who the retarded one is. Idiots!

Reactions: KK123

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
He immediately asked if I low carb, suggested fasting and gave me some unasked for lc tips.

He sounds as though he is well informed. The gym I have used (currently looking after my back) stepped back a bit when being told I was type II. Although they could have advised their one rule fits all dietary regime, I think they recognised that one rule doesn't fit all. They have never suggested upping my carbs although I did hear that many years ago.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He sounds as though he is well informed. The gym I have used (currently looking after my back) stepped back a bit when being told I was type II. Although they could have advised their one rule fits all dietary regime, I think they recognised that one rule doesn't fit all. They have never suggested upping my carbs although I did hear that many years ago.

He's not well informed about type 1 though is he? I'm betting he heard the word 'diabetes' and gave no thought to anything else.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Diakat @ickihun

Yes he can take care of him self ok he merely smiled and pointed out the difference in their physiques.

Thing is he looks like a jock all muscle but he is also extremely bright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diakat

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at the gym today, my usual programme of weights and cardio. A trainer who has seen me there but who is not my trainer stopped for a chat.
The inevitable “what are your goals?” Question came up. I explained that I’m T1 so want to stay healthy and use exercise as part of my sugar control.

I was at work the other day and a similar conversation took place, in my case the person said 'diabetes?, go low carb and you can get off insulin'. Efforts to explain that going low carb or not, everybody requires some insulin in their bodies to live (ie basal) left him looking blank and clearly doubtful. No he said, we don't need carbs and therefore we don't need insulin. As for that gym instructor he needs to stop giving out potentially dangerous medical advice whilst clearly knowing NOTHING about insulin users or type 1.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was at work the other day and a similar conversation took place, in my case the person said 'diabetes?, go low carb and you can get off insulin'. Efforts to explain that going low carb or not, everybody requires some insulin in their bodies to live (ie basal) left him looking blank and clearly doubtful. No he said, we don't need carbs and therefore we don't need insulin. As for that gym instructor he needs to stop giving out potentially dangerous medical advice whilst clearly knowing NOTHING about insulin users or type 1.

Maybe he just needs the difference pointed out to him.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe he just needs the difference pointed out to him.

Hi John, I think with some people they simply refuse to accept the fact that they are wrong. I tend to find I am constantly having to explain it all and it's not easy to sum up the variants of all types of diabetes in a minute (even if I knew them all which I don't) and after a minute their eyes start to glaze over. x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
He's not well informed about type 1 though is he? I'm betting he heard the word 'diabetes' and gave no thought to anything else.

I concur with you, even with no carbs, bacon and eggs, I still have to take Insulin, there is no getting away from it.
The Instructor has made a sweeping statement regarding 'diabetes' and not the type.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi John, I think with some people they simply refuse to accept the fact that they are wrong. I tend to find I am constantly having to explain it all and it's not easy to sum up the variants of all types of diabetes in a minute (even if I knew them all which I don't) and after a minute their eyes start to glaze over. x

In my work, I am with a driver and on different runs, 3 of them, male's, had type 2 diabetes, but they knew little about type 1, so on the route, with just the two of us ( no children on board) I told them my history and how type 1 is different.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I didn’t bother trying to explain anything- I was stretching and about to get back to work. Might try if I catch up with him again.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction

He just want u to sign up some sessions with him.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
He just want u to sign up some sessions with him.
Always a possibility but he knows I have another trainer there. Bad form if they are poaching each other’s clients.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@KK123
Not only would you need basal insulin without carbs, you would need bolus for the protein due to gluconesis (or some such word which I forget but means proteins broken down to . glucose if insufficient carbs available)

Gluconeogenesis that is. Gluco + neo + genesis (sugar-new-making).

The problem is that people have heard "the doctors who still say you need insulin are wrong, it's been proven, people with diabetes can get off insulin with low carb and exercise."

Since they have been convinced "the old-school thinking is wrong" or "we are being lied to by pharma" they immediately think you haven't heard this great news or haven't been convinced yet.

You can try showing that you have heard and believe the news. "Yeah, that's right! That's helped lots of people come off insulin. Unfortunately I have a different type of diabetes where that doesn't work because there's a different root cause."

It will only work some of the time. ;) I recently had someone at work insisting I try aniseed because their "type 1" parents both find that it helps. I couldn't convince them otherwise.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Witch is pretty handy to have on hand as the testes, erythrocytes and kidney medulla exclusively utilize glucose for ATP production.

But is very expensive in energy terms as a lot of energy has to be put in to get glucose at the end so in some respects is not going to be the bodies first choice.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The problem is that people have heard "the doctors who still say you need insulin are wrong, it's been proven, people with diabetes can get off insulin with low carb and exercise."

Since they have been convinced "the old-school thinking is wrong" or "we are being lied to by pharma" they immediately think you haven't heard this great news or haven't been convinced yet.

You can try showing that you have heard and believe the news. "Yeah, that's right! That's helped lots of people come off insulin. Unfortunately I have a different type of diabetes where that doesn't work because there's a different root cause."

It will only work some of the time. ;) I recently had someone at work insisting I try aniseed because their "type 1" parents both find that it helps. I couldn't convince them otherwise.

Or...you can just say 'Shut up'. Seriously though, I do attempt to educate such people (!) but then I find myself sounding very defensive as if I am saying 'I'M type 1' which inadvertently insinuates that it is the type 2s who need such advice and somehow have caused it themselves. These days I say diabetes is a health condition that some people get through no fault of their own and me (and many others) work hard to improve'.