1. Find out how you can help us spread the word about the Diabetes Forum. Click HERE
  2. Hi there, Guest. Welcome to the forum!
    Need some guidance? Check out our Forum Video Guides

Intermittent Fasting with type2 diabetes and metformin.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by 'V', Dec 8, 2012.

1. 'V'

'V' Member

Hi,

There has been a recent article by Dr J Briffa to say that intermittent fasting is beneficial for health. I can not see this being possible if you have type2 and on medication like metformin.

Please can some one give me any ideas about this.

Many thanks,

'V'
  2. Daibell

Daibell Well-Known Member

Hi. Although I agree with much of what Dr Briffa says, this sounds a bit cranky to me and I suspect there is little evidence to support it. Many of these 'trendy' ideas may not be needed. As diabetics we do not process glucose correctly hence we need to reduce glucose producing food to the extent needed by the severity of our diabetes; simples. Diet and exercise are the first priority, then meds if this isn't enough
  3. Patch

Patch Well-Known Member

I suggest you do a little research yourself before you say that.

The solution to this is simple. Don't take Metformin (or moderate your dose) on the days that you are fasting.
  4. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

My first thoughts are that blood glucose may rise ; think of the rise in BG that people often have overnight after fasting. ( and not even taking into account the idea of reducing met which works to a large extent by reducing the glucose released by the liver)
    Chris Kresser agrees with me: http://chriskresser.com/intermittent-fa ... lood-sugar.
  5. hanadr

hanadr Well-Known Member

There's been a lot written about intermittent fasting lately.All I've read, by several writers, suggests it works well. I can't see that it would be too difficult on Metformin. Metformin doesn't usually cause hypo and if you cut out a dose, it doesn't kick back.
    Hana