Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

jayice11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi new to the forum. T2 diagnosed for around 6 years.
Currently on metformin and gliclacide twice daily. Just stopped forxiga and insuman basal and started today on m3. 40am 20pm to start.
Mobility is my demon, brittle asthma since 36 years ago. With all the Meds and conditions that has bought with it over the years :(
Suffering with 'mild, hip to leg pain.
And over the last year or so this has combined to allow my mental health to have a serious decline, but that's a whole other can of demonic worms there!
Would like to hear of anyone's real world thoughts/ advice on pros and cons of m3 ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Poks15

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your name?
Paula
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
female
- Which country are you from?
UK
- Which city/area do live?
Devon
- Are you religious?
No
- Pick three words to describe your personality
Ummmm not sure in this
- Do you have any pets?
No
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
- Do you get angry easily?
Depends on situation
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
5 tattos in my arms for my children Husband and Dad 3 percings ears tummy and a daith piercing as i suffer with Hemiplegic Migraines
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Ne-yo Whitney Houston Mairah Carey shania Twain Celine Dion
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
I am an 80s girl at heart but if it has a beat ill listen to it
- What is your favourite flag?
English
- Ever gone camping?
Yes,
- Ever been in love?
Yes, with my hubby
- Ever used fake tan?
No
- Which countries have you visited?
Wales
- Favourite city?
Plymouth or Exeter as there close
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Home & Away Game of Thrones Prison Break Greys Anatomy Prison Esstenders
- List your five favourite films.
Save the last dance Dirty Dancing Annie original Annie new Kickboxer
- Are you wealthy?
No
- Do you work? If so, as what?
not right now
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
school subjects and Health & social care
- What do you like most about yourself?
Not much
- What do you like least about yourself?
my tummy

Petrolhead276

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Beuracracy
Hi all.

My name is David age 61 (Oct). And we live in SE Essex between Southend & Basildon.

I am not diabetic but my wife is Type 2 diabetic and I am overweight enough to be in the diabetes risk category.

My wife's medication has just been changed from a second tablet, can't recall name of it, to a Victoria 6mg/ml (prefixed Liraglutide) in addition to metformin.

For a number of years she had no meter from our GP just a blood test every 3 months.
Personally I find that approach stupid and an NHS cost saving excercise, whilst it's the 3 month rolling values that are important, waiting 3 months between each means one cannot manage ones bloods and a monthly test with GP reviewing the changes over a 3 month rolling timeline would be more appropriate, especially for newly diagnosed patients.

Therefore so I got one of the free meters from the companies and bought the test strips & lancets. Even with this she was unable to adequately control her blood sugar levels.

She now has a meter from our GP, and I have obtained the free cable from manufacturer turner to be able to offload the results to a PC for us to review.

My wife is also obese and has never really eaten a great deal, personally I believe she has a low metabolic rate and this is part of her problem as I am constantly reminding her that she needs to eat regularly but she says she is not hungry.

To top it all, we have a severely physically disabled son, whilst he no longer lives at home, he still requires our support for financial & health management and he himself underwent bariatric surgery and my wife has been visiting him 3 days a week for the last year, spending all day wife him and motivating him, but it takes its toll on her and she then cannot motivate herself to manage her diabetes.

She won't join a local diabetes group to talk with people who have been through it either.

Hence this post to see what else is an option for me to try with her.

P

pollensa

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to. Blond, brown and surfer!
- What is your name? Jennifer Douglas
- How old are you? ripe young age of 68 and getting better every year.
- Are you male or female? female
- Which country are you from? British passport, mentality Australian, reside by choice Mallorca,Spain, Balearic Islands
- Which city/area do you live in? Pollensa
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Happy, outgoing, honest
- Do you have any pets? Two beautiful white golden retrievers,Surf and Alba
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? surfing.
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No, dont even possess a mobile phone how about that
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. four tops, supremes, Tina Turner, Celin, Whitney houston
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? 1970
- What is your favourite flag? Australian
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes, and currently with my spanish husband of 33 years
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Tunisia, france, spain, australia fiji, Mallorca, South Pacific Islands,
- Favourite city? Paris
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Only documentaries and House interior programmes
- List your five favourite films. Born Free, Gorillas in the Mist, Soul Surfer, Titanic, Dirty Dancing
- Are you wealthy? in Happiness yes.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Retired, volunteer advocate for release of Dolphins from Cement Tanks Seaworlds, supporting Ric O.Barry the man who trained flipper the Dolphin. No dolphin should be held in captivity worldwide, my work is following my passion for Dolphins.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Art, Interior Colour Scheme design, Law
- What do you like most about yourself? prefer to give rather than receive, truthful and honest
- What do you like least about yourself? Cant resist speaking my mind, got that from living in Australia, where they call a spade a spade, can get me in trouble sometimes, people dont like to hear the truth unfortunately.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Careful @pollensa .... only a trait Australians really understand. Many think they do, most don't

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is your name?
Yassin

- How old are you?
Male

scotland

- Which city/area do you live in?
Fife

- Are you religious?
Converted to Islam in 1981. Never regretted it.

Stubborn, loyalty, loner

- Do you have any pets?
No

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple every time

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Rugby Union

You bet. Known not to suffer fools gladly

No

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Offspring, Status Quo

Rock

The Saltire

- Ever gone camping?
Yes and I love it

- Ever been in love?
Yes and still am

- Ever used fake tan?
No

Canada, USA, Zambia, South Yemen, UAE, Oman France, Holland to name but a few

- Favourite city
Edinburgh

Very rarely watch TV

Chariots of Fire, Braveheart, Zulu,

- Are you wealthy?
Depends how you define wealthy I suppose

Community Pharmacist for 43 years

Pharmacy at University

My warped sense of humour

- What do you like least about yourself.?

My short temper

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What is your name?
Yassin

- How old are you?
Male

scotland

Fife

- Are you religious?

Stubborn, loyalty, loner

- Do you have any pets?
No

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple every time

Rugby Union

No

Rock

The Saltire

- Ever gone camping?
Yes and I love it

- Ever been in love?
Yes and still am

- Ever used fake tan?
No

- Favourite city
Edinburgh

Very rarely watch TV

- Are you wealthy?

Pharmacy at University

My short temper
Hi there and welcome. You just reminded me how much I enjoyed visiting Scotland and how I must one day see Edinburgh Castle for real.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
What is your name?
Yassin

- How old are you?
Male

scotland

Fife

- Are you religious?

Stubborn, loyalty, loner

- Do you have any pets?
No

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple every time

Rugby Union

No

Rock

The Saltire

- Ever gone camping?
Yes and I love it

- Ever been in love?
Yes and still am

- Ever used fake tan?
No

- Favourite city
Edinburgh

Very rarely watch TV

- Are you wealthy?

Pharmacy at University

My short temper
Welcome to the forum.

layladream

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all.

My name is David age 61 (Oct). And we live in SE Essex between Southend & Basildon.

I am not diabetic but my wife is Type 2 diabetic and I am overweight enough to be in the diabetes risk category.

My wife's medication has just been changed from a second tablet, can't recall name of it, to a Victoria 6mg/ml (prefixed Liraglutide) in addition to metformin.

For a number of years she had no meter from our GP just a blood test every 3 months.
Personally I find that approach stupid and an NHS cost saving excercise, whilst it's the 3 month rolling values that are important, waiting 3 months between each means one cannot manage ones bloods and a monthly test with GP reviewing the changes over a 3 month rolling timeline would be more appropriate, especially for newly diagnosed patients.

Therefore so I got one of the free meters from the companies and bought the test strips & lancets. Even with this she was unable to adequately control her blood sugar levels.

She now has a meter from our GP, and I have obtained the free cable from manufacturer turner to be able to offload the results to a PC for us to review.

My wife is also obese and has never really eaten a great deal, personally I believe she has a low metabolic rate and this is part of her problem as I am constantly reminding her that she needs to eat regularly but she says she is not hungry.

To top it all, we have a severely physically disabled son, whilst he no longer lives at home, he still requires our support for financial & health management and he himself underwent bariatric surgery and my wife has been visiting him 3 days a week for the last year, spending all day wife him and motivating him, but it takes its toll on her and she then cannot motivate herself to manage her diabetes.

She won't join a local diabetes group to talk with people who have been through it either.

Hence this post to see what else is an option for me to try with her.

Hi David, just read your post and feel that you and your wife have a lot to cope with. My hubby is also diabetic and not very mobile and is way over-weight. We both have arthritis and pain stops us exercising as much as recommended but we're trying to do more exercise as I know it will help with losing weight and also mentally, due to the release of happy hormones (can't remember the right word!!). Has your wife ever had her thyroid checked? I have under-active thyroid and that does cause you to put on weight and find it hard to lose weight. I wonder if maybe your wife would benefit from a talking therapy. I appreciate she may not want more tablets but I've been finding my mood has suffered as a result of the diabetes and my nurse put me on something to bring my mood up a bit and help me sleep (hasn't done the sleep bit). Do you feel that your wife (and you) are getting the support you need? Caring can be emotionally draining as well as physically draining. I know you said that your son doesn't live with you but you don't stop caring just because your children don't live with you and as your son needs your support for health management that will be a huge drain on you both.

Coming on here is important as you can learn things that other people are willing to share and have experienced. Also, support is on offer and I have found it invaluable. Would your wife be willing to look at the site with you? That could be the first step towards her finding the support that she needs. Please don't think I'm saying your support is no good, I'm not saying that at all. I know how valuable the support I receive (and give to) from my hobby is to me.

Your wife is so blessed to have you, Dave, and I'm sure she knows that. Give her a big hug and encourage her to deal with her diabetes better. I'm learning that diabetes is something I can do something about it. Maybe your wife feels that she's stuck with the diabetes and can't change it.

Something that has just occurred to me (sorry, I've just realised I am going on a bit!), her lack of appetite. If she's not eating properly, her doctor needs to know. maybe she could have meal supplements like Complan. Easy to make and drink and nutritionally balanced.

Anyway, enough from me. Look after yourself and your wife, Dave. Thinking of you both, layladream

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I am Ram Sharma. I am from the background of five generations of astrologers, the hallmark of astrological research and spiritual findings for the betterment of humankind. With my utmost dedication, I am helping people to succeed in all the spheres of life, e.g., Personal Relationships, Education, Films, Businesses, Industries, Politicians, Bureaucrats, Foreign and Medical related etc., in India, Russia, U.K, Europe, U.S.A, and around the world for the last 45 years.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sharma.acharya :)

What type of diabetes do you have? Or are you here for a friend or family member? If so, what type of diabetes do they have?

Daryl69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? Daryl
- How old are you? 48
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Shirebrook, Derbyshire
- Are you religious? Belever in Spirituality, Karma.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. GSH, Spritual, Loyal Soul.
- Do you have any pets? 4 dogs, but 3 belong to my daughter, lol.
- Microsoft or Apple? Both, i'm techno greedy lol
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Used to play football, can't now as i'm disabled with spine injury. Watch Football on tv, Formula 1, Winter Sports, Olympics, World Cup, 1 Day International Cricket.
- Do you get angry easily? Takes a lot to wind me up, but i get frustrated easily.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Right ear pierced, right arm tattooed from shoulder to elbow of a dragon.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Led Zepplin, The Doors, U2, Queen, Blue Man Group
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Quite few tbh, but Prog Rock is my current fav. i'm exploring right now.
- What is your favourite flag? The Union Jack
- Ever gone camping? Yes, then bought a caravan instead.
- Ever been in love? Yes, still am to my wife of 28yrs
- Ever used fake tan? No, i naturally go brown, due to my glucose levels caramelising.
- Which countries have you visited? France, Belgium, Holland, Luxemborg, Switzerland, Italy.
- Favourite city? Florence
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Harbeat, Lark Rise to Candlford, Startrek ( All spin offs), Stargate (All spin offs)
- List your five favourite films. The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 years a Slave plus 100's more
- Are you wealthy? Yes in the people around me
- Do you work? If so, as what? Unfortunetly no due to disability, but would love the chance to work for myself.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. 6 CSE's from school, City & Guilds in Radio Communications. ( I'm an Amateur Radio Operator)
- What do you like most about yourself? I'm a good gardener.
- What do you like least about yourself? Lack willpower to say no

I'm a type 2 diabetic, was diagnosed in 2000 and it runs in the family. I also suffer from a slippage of the spine ( Spondylolisthesis ) and currently dealing with a twice operated on spinal abscess.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What is your name? Pauline.
How old are you? 58 but feeling every hour of 66.
Are you male or female? Female.
Which country are you from? England.
Which city/area do you live in? Yorkshire
Are you religious? Atheist, all day long.
Pick three words that describe you. Fiercely loyal, passionate and forthright.
Do you have any pets? Sadly, no.
Microsoft or Apple? Both.
Which sports (if any) do you play? None, occasionally watch a bit of footy.
Do you get angry easily? No, I simmer.
Do you have tattoos or piercings? Certainly not.
List your five favourite musicians/bands. Gabrielle, Lighthouse Family, Queen, Milly Jackson and Erasure.
What would you say your favourite music genre is? R&B
What is your favourite flag? Union Flag.
Ever gone camping? No.
Ever been in love? Oh yeah!
Ever used fake tan? No.
Which countries have you visited?
Be easier to list those I havn't visited.
Favourite city? Rotterdam.
List your five favourite TV programmes. GoT, Gogglebox, Line of Duty, Red Dwarf and Gardeners World.
List your five favourite films. True Grit, Planet of the Apes, The Searchers, 12 Angry Men and To Catch a Mockingbird.
Are you wealthy? No.
Occupation. Retired.
List the subjects you have studied. Rocket surgery and bottom knockering.
What do you like most about yourself? Dry sense of humour, patience and tenacity.
What do you least like about yourself? I tend to burn my bridges.

A little more... I have no time for people who refuse to learn or who are so fixed in their opinions that no amount of evidence presented will cause them to rethink.

Reactions: ziggy_w

tsaghosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everybody,

I am a new member.
Please see below my details:

- What is your name? - Ajayghosh
- How old are you? - 60 Years
- Are you male or female? - Male
- Which country are you from? - India
- Which city/area do you live in? - Trivandrum, Kerala
- Are you religious? - Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - Decent Educated Gentleman
- Do you have any pets? - No
- Microsoft or Apple? - Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? - Football
- Do you get angry easily? - Occationally
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? - No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. - Musicians in my locality
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - Melody
- What is your favourite flag? - Nothing
- Ever gone camping? - No
- Ever been in love? - Yes
- Ever used fake tan? - No
- Which countries have you visited? - Singapore
- Favourite city? - My city
- List your five favourite TV programmes. - News programmes
- List your five favourite films. - Films in my mother-tongue
- Are you wealthy? - Average
- Do you work? If so, as what? Retired Engineer (Joint Director)
- List the subjects you study/have studied. - Electronics and Communication
- What do you like most about yourself? - Independent thoughts/views I am following
- What do you like least about yourself? - My physical disabilities

I am pre-diabetic since two years and managing with Metformin SR500. Had a heart bypass surgery two years before. Recently started following LCHF diet.
Present blood sugar level: FBS - 120 to 145 and PPBS: 93 to 115
Morning sugar level is found very high.
Can anybody suggest the exact reason for this and the methods to reduce this?

Friends, I hope I can be more active in the coming days.

Thanks, Bye...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody,

I am a new member.

- What do you like most about yourself? - Independent thoughts/views I am following

I am pre-diabetic since two years and managing with Metformin SR500. Had a heart bypass surgery two years before. Recently started following LCHF diet.

Thanks, Bye...

Greetings @tsaghosh ,

A warm welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining us..

Your high morning sugar levels could be due to a glycogen dump into the blood stream by the liver. We call it "Dawn phenomenon."

Please feel free to ask questions or even start your own thread topic on the forum.

We look forward to hearing back from you! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tsaghosh

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi everybody,

I am a new member.

Thanks, Bye...
Hi @tsaghosh .. and welcome
You have certainly made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

You will come across a lot of conflicting information around but the key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Unless you are prescribed a test meter and strips by your doctor (unlikely), it is a top priority that get yourself one and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

Reactions: tsaghosh and Jaylee

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@tsaghosh Here in my signature are links to the Basic Information and Low Carb Program we give to new members which I hope will be useful to you. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

Reactions: tsaghosh

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
-What is your name?
Ineke

- How old are you?

Female

Netherlands

- What are you looking for on this forum?
In two years time we would like to move to England. So now I am learning as much as I can about being a diabetic in the UK. If possible I would like to get in touch with other T1 diabetics who moved to England to share information.

Curious, creative, sensitive

- Ever been in love?
Definitly! And still very happy with Marc.

- Ever used fake tan?
Yes, I had carrot-coloured legs.

drzac2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
boy/girl bands
Include a photo here if you wish to. - Done - avatar :)
- What is your name? David
- How old are you? 46
- Are you male or female? Mmmmmmmmm depends how I feel at the time :)
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Southampton
- Are you religious? Not at all; no evidence to support existence of deities
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Informal, evidential, intolerant
- Do you have any pets? Nope
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft all the way; hate all apple products!
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Archery mainly
- Do you get angry easily? Not really
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Nope; completely natural!
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Anything except boy/girl bands
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Anything
- What is your favourite flag? Union Flag
- Ever gone camping? Yes, but not for long time; would love to do more but family not interested
- Ever been in love? Yes and still am :)
- Ever used fake tan? Nope; not needed to. Sunbathe often and all over tan achieved naturally
- Which countries have you visited? Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Isle of Wight
- Favourite city? Rome
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Like most TV programs except American reality
- List your five favourite films. Like most films;
- Are you wealthy? In relation to who?
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, accountant and run my own business doing so
- List the subjects you study/have studied. History; just completing MA in it
- What do you like most about yourself? Everything; 100% body confidence and body positive
- What do you like least about yourself? Nothing