Iron and running

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
A few weeks ago I had my bloods done and my iron levels were at 55 ug/dl , which is on the low side threshold.

My running performance had steadily got worse since Easter to the point where I couldn't even complete a 7 km run . I was hitting the wall after the 3km point and either had to slow down significantly or stop and walk. I felt really tired all the time.

I started taking floradix with iron and have noticed a marginal improvement after 2 weeks. I can complete my runs again and my pace is almost back to my best from 2016.

What I am concerned about is when to stop taking the iron supplement as I have heard it can be toxic. Doctors say they won't test my iron again until next year and initially advised my iron levels would slowly increase over 6 week period or more.

As I have seen an improvement in two weeks can I assume my Iron levels / hemoglobin are back to normal ? If I keep taking the supplement will I see further improvement.

The first week of taking the supplements I felt like I was 20 again :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I needed iron tablets after a big blood loss during labour. I stopped taking them when I felt nauseous after having the tablet and when my poo got to be almost black. Sorry probably TMI for this time of day, :eek: but that's all I know on the subject.

Edit: I think I only took the tablets for 3-4 weeks. Since then all my iron test levels have come back as slightly above normal. Hope this helps.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I stopped taking them when I felt nauseous after having the tablet and when my poo got to be almost black.

LOL I'm already at that stage :) I understood that the dark stool coloring was unabsorbed iron in stomach and not really a indicator of iron levels.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL I'm already at that stage :) I understood that the dark stool coloring was unabsorbed iron in stomach and not really a indicator of iron levels.
OK here's a more scientific method if you're worried and can afford it. There's 4 iron tests listed on the page, not sure which one would be best for you.

https://www.medichecks.com/search/iron levels

I have used this company before and find their products to be really useful when my GP is limited to the number of tests he can give me via the NHS

Edit: I would think one of the cheaper tests would do. You obviously aren't producing too much iron so don't need the £299 one! :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not absorbing the iron, and you are sure that you are not deficient in vitamin D then you have been topped up.
The Vitamin D is essential for absorption of iron from the diet - though there is pernicious anaemia - unlikely though.
Sometimes I think my brain is too much like a vacuum cleaner -
Maybe stop taking the tablets and see how you feel.
A lot of iron in the diet can make your blood very thick and very red - if you test your blood have you noticed any change in the appearance of the blob on your skin?

Reactions: zand