Irregular heart beat

Elc1112

Hi all,

Over the past week or so I have been having episodes where my heart quickly increases for a few seconds and then quickly settles back to normal. Never had a problem like this before and no idea why it is suddenly happening.

My usual resting heart rate is 50-55. It keeps rising to around 100-130 for a few seconds and then returning to normal. I downloaded some sort of heart rate monitor on my iPhone and have been testing usin this. I do realise that the iPhone is possibly not the most advanced diagnostic tool in the world! When my heart rate is rising it feels like it is in my throat - very strange feeling.

This is happening when I am sat at my desk working. I've felt generally tired and lethargic recently, but have been under a lot of stress recently so just assumed it was that.

I've been diabetic for 22 years and am 29 now. Exercise 5-6 days a week, blood pressure normal, cholesterol normal, HBA1C was 6.1 at last check. Generally fit and healthy.

Anybody else experienced similar or got any suggestions?

Thanks, Emma

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Emma, I would see your gp and explain the racing heart beat to them, always best to get these things checked out just to be on the safe side.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Emma.
Please do pop along to ask your GP about this... :)
As no-one here is medically qualified to suggest anything about your 'engine' heart.
It is better to see a medic with matters of the heart even if it feels like a query?
Please do let us all know how you go on.
Anna.

Elc1112

I've got an appointment for Monday to get it checked out. Better safe than sorry and all that! I've got a terrible habit of using Google to diagnose myself. Must stop doing it as all it ever does is make me worry! Hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but definitely want to get it checked out.

D

Deleted member 45091

Hi yea having similar problems iam 32 had diabetes for last 22 years aprox, everything was fine up until several years back iam not saying your situation is the same but i was perscribed anti depressants at first because of these irregular heart episodes which i didnt really take. My diabetes has gone abit hay wire tho HBA1c 10% i drink a little and smoke so not ideal. Mine started off during the day etc then it progressed mainly at night times just as iam falling asleep felt like i was going to die, had to jump outa bed and try and get my heart rate normal again. My cholestral is around 6.2 also. But after a continues heart rate monitor for 24 hours they sorta said it is a condition that makes the heart irregualr which i cant remeber. They dont want to start me on medication jst yet and see if it sorts itself out. think if i make some more lifestyle changes hopefully things should improve.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Emma.
Please do let us know how you go on - on monday with your doctor.
I know it must be hard NOT to fret and worry over this...
Try to think positive and not get stressed with over worrying :?
This may make it seem or feel worse!
Till monday take good care of yourself and keep being reassured
that your doctor will get you sorted soon. :thumbup:
Its the waiting isnt it? Not knowing etc... thats hard to bear for now.
Much love and thoughts.
Anna.

Elc1112

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply. I'm getting them day and night at the minute and am getting quite a lot of them. If I exercise it seems to stop them for a few hours, but then they come back. I am hoping the doctor says its nothing to worry about. As I said in my original post, I've been under a lot of stress recently so it could just be that.

Hope you manage to sort things without medication. How long ago were you diagnosed with the condition, if you don't mind me asking? Also, was it linked to your diabetes?

Thanks

Elc1112

Hi Anna,

Will definitely let you know how I get on and will try not I stress over the next few days :)

Thanks and take care,
Em

D

Deleted member 45091

Hi been diabetic since 10 years old 22 years ago but started geting weird heart things about 3 years ago. Cut along story short fainted at work with a shooting pain down my back and not been totally right since. They originally put it down to really bad anxiety etc. Ive never bothered with anti depressesants hate taking tablets. But ended up struggling at work tired all the time shaky etc and **** diabetes all over the place so ended up leaving. Then started smoking couple years back which wouldnt help. I still get them regualr but mainly at night but sorta got used to them now. had loads blood tests kidneys liver eyes blood pressure etc all ok. Not sure if its diabetes related or not all i know is the more activity i do the less i get so could be some circulation issue. The problem is cos sugars are abit **** dont have alot of energy at the minute. But hey when ya say to a doctor you smoke and like a pint i spose some of it may be self inflicted, but am slowy geting things back on track. Iam gona leave it a while longer and go for another checkup, considering your sugars are ok and you excersise regular just sounds like abit of stress. Oh and one more thing and proberbly have nothing to do with it but i get alot less now iam back on my 2 injections a day, cant get great controll at the minute but i personally found levimir and the nova rapid way to strong. but ul be fine just chill :thumbup:

Fraddycat

Hi Elc, is there anything you can do to reduce your stress? Is it stressful at work? In your personal life? Both? Stress is really not good for your body, your brain or your blood glucose, so anything you can do to manage this will really help. If its work related remember that its only a job, and your health is much more important. Can you take a couple of days off so you can really chill? Be good to yourself!!

Elc1112

Hi Fraddycat, it's a bit of everything at the moment! Just bought a new house and am in the middle of a renovation project. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, and I am sure it will be worth it once it's done. Work is a bit of a nightmare at the minute. My mum, who lives 350 miles away, is ill and that's been quite hard to deal with. Few other things going on too, but I won't go into that here. Everything seems to be happenin at once and it's getting a little much! I've got a holiday coming up in October where I plan to turn off all forms of communication and just have a week of pure peace and quiet. Cannot wait!

The heart palpitation things (real medical term) are probably just a reaction to the stress, but I do want to get them checked just to be sure. Maybe the NhS will agree that a week off is exactly what they need and, with any luck, they'll pay for my holiday?! I'm becoming delusional now! ;)

Em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Elc1112 said:
Hi Anna,

Will definitely let you know how I get on and will try not I stress over the next few days :)

Thanks and take care,
Em

Good luck and best wishes for Monday :thumbup: RRB

ps I have found a good way to deal with stress at work. I go out towards the loo area, small place at the back, so no one around, and say to myself " its or they, are not important enough for me to bother with" and then shake my hands out like Tommy Cooper :lol: and thinks, right, thats it gone ( I know , but it does help, honestly) or another way is to take slow deep breaths and count to ten.

Fraddycat

Hi again Elc, glad you are going to the Drs, its best to get it checked, and hopefully the holiday in October will help too. I can imagine how stressful things must be at the moment, its a healthy list of stressful things, but your health is important too. Hope you have time to take care of yourself - best wishes, Jane

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Elc1112 said:
Hi Fraddycat, it's a bit of everything at the moment! Just bought a new house and am in the middle of a renovation project. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, and I am sure it will be worth it once it's done. Work is a bit of a nightmare at the minute. My mum, who lives 350 miles away, is ill and that's been quite hard to deal with. Few other things going on too, but I won't go into that here. Everything seems to be happenin at once and it's getting a little much! I've got a holiday coming up in October where I plan to turn off all forms of communication and just have a week of pure peace and quiet. Cannot wait!

The heart palpitation things (real medical term) are probably just a reaction to the stress, but I do want to get them checked just to be sure. Maybe the NhS will agree that a week off is exactly what they need and, with any luck, they'll pay for my holiday?! I'm becoming delusional now! ;)

Em
Hi Emma.
No wonder you are stressed ...!
There is a lot going on all at once, when you have a week off.
Try making a small list of things to treat and do "just for you" ...
Maybe read a book or listen to a cd , watch a goood film ?
Take time out to completely chill and pamper just YOU :D
I do know what its like when doing renovation project(s) in the home!
We are currently doing 2 huge rooms now - had house full of
builders/plasterers/joiners etc...
It can and does get bit chaotic and manic with things!
So I do - sooo get how you must feel with this plus 'more' going on
with you now.
Remember to let us know what your GP advises on monday.
Anna.

shop

Hi Emma,

Hope you get on Ok at the Docs on Monday. There are lots of causes of palpatations ( which sounds like what you are experiencing, but only a Dr can confirm this! ) from too much caffine, stress, overactive thyroid to heart probs. I have had them and they are horrible. Wheather it is stress that is causing it or something else, stress undoubtably will make it worse. Take some nice slow deep breaths when it starts and just take a minuet to yourself ( if you can )

Best wishes for Monday and let us know.

Lucy xxx

Elc1112

Hi all,

Just want to start by saying thank you to everyone for the replies. Had my hospital appointment this morning and thoughts I'd give you a quick update...

Start with the good news - try didn't find anything overly worrying. Had some blood taken, blood pressure checked, ECG check etc. Bloods will take a few days to come back, blood pressure 100/60, ECG showed a few palpitations, but nothing too sinister. I fainted hope I was at the hospital but they couldn't see any obvious reason for it. It happened just after a heart palpitation which they said is not too unusual.

I have to wait for all the results to come back. They then want to do a 24hr trace so that they can track my heart rate for a longer period. If that is inconclusive they will look at doing some more tests.

So, still no idea why it is happening but they have at least ruled out anything too serious. Been told to take it easy for the next few days - not so easy when you've got builders knocking walls down around you!!

I'm feeling a lot better this week, but definitely not 100%. Roll on holiday!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully the test results will be fine Elc, a worrying time just the same and hope you enjoy your holidays when they arrive.

catmiaow111

My mum doesn't have diabetes but she suffers with AF, which has only just been diagnosed and she has a irregular heart beat which beats too fast. She is on medication which sorts out the heart beat and warfarin for the clots. She needs to have a defibrillator as soon as she has a warafin test of 2 or above.

It is important to get this sorted as you don't know what will happen if you don't.