is 1200 calories a day too little

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have been on 1200 a day plus exercise the last 8 days and my sugars are great and i feel realy good, someone commented on another forum im on saying "diabetic or not 1200 is WAY to low, you should start with 1800. im 6 foot and weight 13 st 10 lb and im trying to get down to my old weight of 12 stone.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
1200cals is not really sustainable long term but if it's for a short while or to give you a "kick start" it's fine. Ultimately, your body will let you know if you stick with it too long.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Much depends on weight, height and how sedentary you are. Personally I am female, 5ft 4" and wanted to lose 3 stones, sedentary mostly apart from 2 brisk walks a day and normal daily housework etc. I have been on 1200 calories a day since 15th March and feel great, not hungry, not tired and eating well. I have now reached the point where I need to stop losing weight and maintain so have just upped my calories to 1480.

If you use myfitnesspal it will tell you how many calories you need to either lose weight or maintain.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would make sure I'm getting my full protein 70g-85g/ 280-350 cal or what ever an online protein calculator says, then cut a lot of carbs and some fat to make up the rest of the 1200 cal

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
James, I put your figures into a calculator which uses what is considered to be the best equation for BMR, it then adds on calories according to whether you are sedentary or more active. These figures are based on being sedentary. So if you do any movement at all it would suggest that 1200 cal is too low for any length of time. Try it out for your real activity rate (pays to be honest there though) http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html#
You need 2,342 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
You need 1,842 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
You need 1,342 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.
You need 2,842 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week.
You need 3,342 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week.

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
James, I put your figures into a calculator which uses what is considered to be the best equation for BMR, it then adds on calories according to whether you are sedentary or more active. These figures are based on being sedentary. So if you do any movement at all it would suggest that 1200 cal is too low for any length of time. Try it out for your real activity rate (pays to be honest there though) http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html#
You need 2,342 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
You need 1,842 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
You need 1,342 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.
You need 2,842 Calories/day to gain 1 lb per week.
You need 3,342 Calories/day to gain 2 lb per week.

thanks for that, its saying i need about 1600-1700 to loose 2lb a week, im inbetween lightly active and medium, i walk 2 miles about 3 times a week, i do push ups every second night and i do high intensity interval training 3 times a week, i feel really good so im worried about upping my calories but i will if 1200 is considered dangerous

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I wouldn't consider 1200 calories a day dangerous over a period of months, but I would keep in touch with your medical team, and make sure you get enough protein and vitamins if you are restricting the types of food you eat..

I suspect the calculators being quoted here are giving the calories needed to maintain your weight (over a period of years), not reduce your weight significantly over a period of months.

I would also be very interested in what the 'dangers' are considered to be - if you are getting minimum protein (for essential repairs) and essential vitamins then I don't see where the danger lies.

(1) The Newcastle Diet is 8 weeks at 800 kcals/day so you are 50% above that.

(2) You will be getting additional calories from your stored fat as you burn it, so your body will really be getting more than the 1200 to keep it running.

(3) The time to consider upping your calorie intake is when you reach your target weight and wish to stabilise at that weight.

I am also six foot, and started at around 13 stone with a target of getting my weight to the mid-point of the 'normal' BMI scale, which is around 11 stone 7 lbs. I weighed in this morning at 11 stone 13 lbs which is a big motivation event!

I don't count calories (keep meaning to) but I am not eating very much.

So go for it!!

If you are comfortable on a 1200 kcal/day diet and feel good, and your BG control is good then you are doing pretty well and hopefully will be able to meet your target.

Cheers

LGC

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't consider 1200 calories a day dangerous over a period of months, but I would keep in touch with your medical team, and make sure you get enough protein and vitamins if you are restricting the types of food you eat..

I suspect the calculators being quoted here are giving the calories needed to maintain your weight (over a period of years), not reduce your weight significantly over a period of months.

I would also be very interested in what the 'dangers' are considered to be - if you are getting minimum protein (for essential repairs) and essential vitamins then I don't see where the danger lies.

(1) The Newcastle Diet is 8 weeks at 800 kcals/day so you are 50% above that.

(2) You will be getting additional calories from your stored fat as you burn it, so your body will really be getting more than the 1200 to keep it running.

(3) The time to consider upping your calorie intake is when you reach your target weight and wish to stabilise at that weight.

I am also six foot, and started at around 13 stone with a target of getting my weight to the mid-point of the 'normal' BMI scale, which is around 11 stone 7 lbs. I weighed in this morning at 11 stone 13 lbs which is a big motivation event!

I don't count calories (keep meaning to) but I am not eating very much.

So go for it!!

If you are comfortable on a 1200 kcal/day diet and feel good, and your BG control is good then you are doing pretty well and hopefully will be able to meet your target.

Cheers

LGC

thanks for reply, have you been exercising or just watching what you eat? im happy at 1200, im monitoring all my vitamins and calcium and protein, i have ordered multi vitamins to take to boost them , i do need to eat more protein , perphaps i might have to take a shake to help boost it

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I was exercising, had 4 weeks off because of a gout attack, now back on the exercise.
I more or less held my weight steady with no exercise but I think I was well over the 1200 kcals/day.

I am trying to go as low carb as possible and eat sensibly - however I think I am still going at above 1200 kcals.
Downloading myFitnessPal for a quick carb count.

However now I am back to cycling I should be burning around 5-600 kcal/hour extra, so if I can get back to my 50k 2.5 hour rides every other day I should be burning quite a reasonable amount.

You need very little protein - opinions vary but around 75g might be enough, which is under 3 ounces (so a quarter pounder at 4 ounces is more than enough).
I would be wary of protein shakes - I think there are some threads about it currently.
Cheese?

The big problem, which is winding me up at the moment, is how to avoid carbs, avoid much protein, eat sensibly.
Basically just variations on fat, but butter, olive oil etc. all count.
Any protein above the minimum required for body maintenance is converted mainly to glucose, only far more slowly than carbohydrates.

I have just started out with myFitnessPal and it has given me a target of 2,000 kcals/day to lose 5lbs in about a month.
However I need to investigate further than a few quick button presses.

Anyway, if you can stick to 1200 kcals/day whilst feeling good I think you will be amazed how quickly the weight comes off.

I am working towards a recommendation from the Newcastle Study that it is good to be at or below the mid level of 'normal' BMI but I am getting there.

Cheers

LGC

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
A nice way of adding fat and avoid protein and carbs is having bullet/fat coffee, mixing butter and coconut oil well into it, if you don't like coffee try tea or mix hot water with cocoa powder, butter and coconut oil (splash out with some vanilla powder). Home made bearnaise, hollandaise and choron sauce (basically egg yolk and butter) is a very nice to increase fat level.

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A nice way of adding fat and avoid protein and carbs is having bullet/fat coffee, mixing butter and coconut oil well into it, if you don't like coffee try tea or mix hot water with cocoa powder, butter and coconut oil (splash out with some vanilla powder). Home made bearnaise, hollandaise and choron sauce (basically egg yolk and butter) is a very nice to increase fat level.

is there a benefit to adding fat? i thought i should be avoiding fat?

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Cut carbs, keep moderate level of protein and increase fat, you will satiety and yes the fat will help you loose fat if you keep your carbs low, you'll be using fat from the diet and your body as fuel. I'm having less then 10 grams of carbs, 0,5 grams of protein per lbs and at least twice as many grams of fat per day. I know this is a very low carb version and I'm doing this for 90 days to get a good kick in fat burning, then I might return to about 20/30 grams of carbs.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I live on 1200 cals a day. I am in a wheelchair and cannot exercise. If I have more than 1200 cals, I gain weight. But I do have extra vitamins.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
is there a benefit to adding fat? i thought i should be avoiding fat?
Ear fat to get slim, less carbs and more fat will help the body burn fat, choose good healthy fats like butter (ideally from grass-fed cows),coconut oil, lard and olive oil, full fat cream (double cream) yoghurt, cheese