totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya ,
i was just on lantus and metformin but was having bad hypos as i said in a earlier thread,a diff doctor last wk took me off metformin and lowered my insulin from 28 units to 20,in the last week ive only had one hypo and my bloods are up/down,last 2 days bloods b4 meals were 5.9,10.3,7.4,11.8,today 5.6 and 8.0.doc is giving me a wk to see if it settles down,i just wondered if anyone else has managed on just lantus...and what are other diabetics blood glucoses before meals ? what is acceptable?
thanks in advance :wink:

donnamum

Can't help on the only on Lantus bit, as my daughter is on novarapid and Lantus. We always find that when her Lantus is changed the BG readings are all over the place for a few days. Then after about 4 days settle down into a pattern.

Sweet3x

hmm, remember that Lantus doesn't do anything apart from release a tiny amount of insulin, very slowly, into your system. It doesn't work like the old long acting stuff, which needed carbs in order to prevent hypos, and it doesn't work with the carbs you eat. It releases insulin into your system at such a low rate, it's almost not there. I'd go back, chat to your doctor, and ask him if he really thinks you should be off your .. metawhateveritis. I'm not a T2 expert, so don't realy know how it works for you, but some T2 aren't on medication anyway, so maybe this is a better way to control things for you, once you get yourself sorted out :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
thanks for the advice,i arent type 2 either
amanda

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Totsy,
Metformin is a medication usually prescribed for Type-2s because it doesn't make the pancreas produce more insulin, but instead it makes the cells more receptive to insulin so it reduces insulin resistance. Your GP must have suspected that you had some degree of cell resistance to have put you on it. As insulin resistance is not exclusive to Type-2s it has always surprised me that it rarely seems to be prescribed for type -1s.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya dennis,
thanks for that, i am a type 1 but only on the lantus now so im worried that alone wont work?
amanda

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Amanda, I suspect your doc just doesn't know what he is doing. For us type-1s Lantus is usually used for a basal/bolus regime. The lantus keeps your basal levels down( or not!!) and a rapid acting suchas novorapid or humalog gives you a bolus for your meals. The beauty of humalog is that it gives you enough to cover u for your meal, and is pretty much straight out of your system afterwards. Your blood sugar may stay high after a meal and further on to before the next meal,if you had no extra short acting to cover that meal. The dose of humalog can be varied depending on how much carbohydrate is in the meal. For instance if I go for an Indian meal, I know I'll prob have rice and popadoms, lots of carbs, then I will take an extra 2-4 units of humalog to cover.

Lantus claims to have a flat profile but I, and many other people found this not to be the case. As you know, I came off it last week,and changed to pork isophane.I already feel different, more awake, and my BS control in much better.

Quite a few years ago I used managed to live for approx 2 years on just long-acting Insulatard. I had come off actrapid due to a bad experience. I'd had a night-hypo which resulted in my husband waking up to find me in a coma. when I came round I couldn't speak and the paramedics wanted to take me to hosp. It really was a terrifying experience and I know how lucky I am that my husband woke when he did. I told the hosp clinic, and asked for an alternative to Actrapid, that didn't peak at 2 then 4 hours. The doctors criticized my regime, but didn't offer an alternative. I subsequently was told by a friend about Novorapid and Humalog.
Contact the Independent Diabetes Trust-they're really helpful and know their stuff Phone no. is on web-site. Also Diabetes UK sent me a booklet on inuslins, which shows the action and effect of each one. I think you'd find that very helpful.
Let us know how u go. :)
Jus