Treatment type
Diet only
Both - depending on the cheese it will have different content of both

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Different cheeses have different amounts of fat and protein in them.

100g of cheddar has 26g protein and 36g fat
100g of feta has 16g protein and 20g fat and 2g carbs

The list is very long!

Reactions: LawrenceP

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Cheese is just a big lump of goodness.
Its the red wine that goes with it you need to worry about............

Tony

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't worry about red wine except when I can't afford it
CAROL

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is an antioxidant and very good for the heart. Tastes better than statins too. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Never worry when I have wine :)
I haven't explored red wine benefits for a few decades. It agreed with metformin 20yrs ago. Although the info leaflet said no alcohol.
I still have fatty liver which is due to carbs. Unless im very low carbing it hangs about.
Im due a liver detox. Spring and summer make it ideal. Bring out the low carb foods (cheese) and walk more.
Fingers crossed i can if cleared of blockage in arteries on friday. I'll top-up painkillers to allow.
Breathing is better on 150g carb diet. Co-incidental? Im unsure.
Cheese anyone?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese is just milk without the part which goes bad fastest and wine is just fruit without the part which goes bad fastest, bottled to stop oxidation.
Consumption of both either together or separately and we can but hope to get some advantage from their preservative properties.
At least that's my take on the situation....

Reactions: tim2000s

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue cheese + red wine (used to) = killer migraines for me :(

Mind you I get virtually no food related migraines now since I've been low carbing, so maybe I can try a little red wine again too.

Dark chocolate was also a killer but I can eat smallish portions of Lindt 85% cocoa bars without problems now, and that's supposedly good for us too.

@MilaMILA - many food are a combination of carbs and/or fats and/or protein, so you have to consider the proportions of each, and sometimes it may have to be a bit of a compromise.

Robbity

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Blue cheese + red wine (used to) = killer migraines for me :(

Mind you I get virtually no food related migraines now since I've been low carbing, so maybe I can try a little red wine again too.

Dark chocolate was also a killer but I can eat smallish portions of Lindt 85% cocoa bars without problems now, and that's supposedly good for us too.

@MilaMILA - many food are a combination of carbs and/or fats and/or protein, so you have to consider the proportions of each, and sometimes it may have to be a bit of a compromise.

Robbity
I've always prefered dark chocolate too. Black magic was my only choc request but then thorntons started toffee covered in dark chocolate. All pre diagnosis thou.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Answer: fatty protein with some added with carbs.

A great filler to transform from high carb to low carb. Too much adds weight thou.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi
Here is a snip from my database that shows how variable cheese is.
upload_2017-4-26_8-56-46.png

At the end of the day (literally), I choose a cheese that will put me back on target for my fat and proteins.
The K/KA ratio by the way is a measure of how ketogenic the food is, anything greater than 1.5 likely to produce ketosis.
(All values from cheese wrappers and per 100g cheese.)

Last edited:

GrinderColumn

Hi
View attachment 22714
At the end of the day (literally), I choose a cheese that will put me back on target for my fat and proteins.
The K/KA ratio by the way is a measure of how ketogenic the food is, anything greater than 1.5 likely to produce ketosis.
Thanks for sharing!

Langa

Hi
View attachment 22714
Thanks for sharing.