Is it ok to cheat sometimes?

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Simple question - I'm generally pretty good at sticking to a low carb diet, but sometimes I find myself confronted with foods I really love and cannot stop myself from eating. Recent examples include some wonderful pasta that came unexpectedly as a side with a chicken dish I ordered at a restaurant last weekend, and yesterday some utterly divine baklava (two pieces) that someone offered me. A friend has recently suggested we go and try this new ice cream parlour and again I am sorely tempted go and have something. Is it ok to 'cheat' once in a while or is doing things like this a shortcut to blindness and losing toes? Despite my semi regular cheats I have managed to get my fasting blood sugar down to 5.7 from 11 a while ago, although I've not actually measured my glucose after one of these sessions but I presume my blood sugar goes high for a while when I do this.

Reactions: kokhongw and Freema

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I smiled at the title. I think most people would 'cheat' sometimes. I stopped smiling when I read your post, @NatJS , because it seems you are not just cheating occasionally.
It is so easy for carb creep to catch you out. Test your blood glucose after you have eaten the 'cheat' stuff. That will tell you if it is ok for you. Don't just assume the effect, test.
You have done well to reduce your fasting level. Would be a shame if that is wasted effort.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Simple question - I'm generally pretty good at sticking to a low carb diet, but sometimes I find myself confronted with foods I really love and cannot stop myself from eating. Recent examples include some wonderful pasta that came unexpectedly as a side with a chicken dish I ordered at a restaurant last weekend, and yesterday some utterly divine baklava (two pieces) that someone offered me. A friend has recently suggested we go and try this new ice cream parlour and again I am sorely tempted go and have something. Is it ok to 'cheat' once in a while or is doing things like this a shortcut to blindness and losing toes? Despite my semi regular cheats I have managed to get my fasting blood sugar down to 5.7 from 11 a while ago, although I've not actually measured my glucose after one of these sessions but I presume my blood sugar goes high for a while when I do this.

Carbohydrates = increased blood glucose. The more you have, the higher it goes unless you treat it with insulin. That said, never eating any carbs ever again seems a bit strong to me. If your doc says no carbs then no carbs. Follow your docs advice and stay healthy :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Think if well controlled it is okay for me to cheat fully 1 day a month But not every other day

Reactions: Liam1955

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @NatJS ,
Check your blood before you do. & check after..
Have a look at what you have got, then see the result after the "cheat."

Your BS meter will be the most honest "council" you will ever get!

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I want to keep all parts attached too! I'm new to this and I'm still not sure how black and white or not the rules are. It's doubly confusing because on some other diabetes websites you see the official advice saying that it's ok to eat pasta, for example. I've had pasta exactly once since I was diagnosed and my way of justifying it to myself was that these other websites say it's fine, and I thought that since my carb intake is probably 1/10th of what it was pre-diagnosis, it might just about be alright. Same with the baklava. I guess I need to be much stricter. I asked because I've seen other people say they've cheated but it's not clear what extent that's the case and how acceptable that is. I guess in not measuring after these cheats there is a level of self denial in my behaviour so I shall reevaluate my thinking.

Hotpepper20000

Also depends what your definition of "Cheat" is.
I can have a few French fries with protein with rising out raising my BG. But I never have a full serving. Only a few from Mr Hotpeppers plate. I consider that a cheat because I know if I eat it regularly I will not continue to loose weight. I love stone fruit. I will have a small piece when it's in season.
But ice cream and sweet cakes and such are a no go for me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@NatJS , what you are experiencing is quite a regular occurance a short while after diagnosis. Initially it is a shock, then you get determined to alter diet, then the realisation sets in. Can be daunting to think that you have to make permanent changes in order to stay healthy.
You have had the realisation stage, and are already moving forward by recognising you cannot cheat and get away with it for long. Some other websites do follow the guideline of carbs with every meal. That is also the advice from NHS. Many here followed that advice but found their blood glucose levels were still not good. They choose instead to eat a low carb diet, as you did. You say you have reduced fasting BG by following low carb. So the choice is yours. Why not check out the low carb programme here, and make substitutions for the foods you are missing? It doesn't have to be a chore.

Reactions: lizdeluz

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been a few forum posts recently from people who have gone "off the rails". Presumably starting with a few high carb treats and then finding they cannot stop and ending with extremely high blood sugar levels. It is best to avoid "cheats" if at all possible.

Reactions: connie104

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't cheat but I do build treats into my food plan. I have a hierarchy of treats lol - I have once a week treats such as a couple of squares of chocolate- once a month ones, once every 3 month ones etc etc right up to once a year ones lol

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have been a few forum posts recently from people who have gone "off the rails". Presumably starting with a few high carb treats and then finding they cannot stop and ending with extremely high blood sugar levels. It is best to avoid "cheats" if at all possible.

Many find that if they start to eat high carb foods again they crave more, like an addiction. This has happened to me in the past.
I do like the mindset of @lovinglife . To have 'cheats' is such a negative way of looking at it. Scheduling in 'treats' occasionally is a much more positive outlook.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't cheat, it really isn't worth it. I have been suffering from really intense cravings the last few days but I have to keep reminding myself that I don't want to die early, I want to lose weight and I want to have good numbers. I'm a numbers geek and get a real kick when I see the good ones. In fact, I'd say my need for numbers is as strong as my cravings sometimes.
If you can, find low carb substitutes for sweet treats.
My opinion is that carb addiction is as dangerous and as strong as heroin addiction. Ok, so I might not steal for a carb addiction but the physical side effects are just as fatal, and yes you can over dose on carbs and the result is high BGs, feeling like **** and all the associated downsides to diabetes.
Sometimes you cannot help but cheat, especially when you are staying at someone else's house but if you are type 2, sometimes the wisest option is to do some intermittent fasting whenever there is no good food about.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that safe treats are the way to go, instead of undermining ourselves with the grotty idea of cheating. I guess we all need some treats: planning them will be half the fun, keeping healthy as a result will be the other half.:)
Edited to add: let's not call it cheating! Many of us, me included, find that sugar, and carbs generally, are very addictive, like some other well-known substances. If I include them in my diet, they are quite likely to harm me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really do sympathise with you, I don't have a particularly sweet tooth but I love crisps and a good peice of chocolate. It is hard to resist these things! However I feel that this is not just a struggle for diabetics NOBODY should be eating cakes sweets and chips everyday. Yes there are many dangerous side effects of high blood sugar but, obesity can kill anybody. An occasional treat is ok I believe but it needs to be that occasional, be honest cake on your birthday is fine cake on every bodies birthday is not. It is cruel that nice foods are addictive but once you go a while without them you want them less. Don't be hard on yourself though - I went off the wagon at easter but I've put that behind me and I'm back making informed choices and feeling better for it.

Reactions: NatJS and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ok. Listen.
For most diabetes is for life.
What life do you want?

Myself I cheat but then pull the reigns in and then have a few years of excellent control.
I think what I'm telling you is some people suffer from burn out.
Burn out occurs because you feel you don't WANT to eat properly and maintain your bgs, all the time. You get fed up of nursing your diabetes.
Solution: well for me. I occasionally have a treat and then get back on the horse.
It's the getting back on and staying on I admire the most in people.
We all have choices to make in life and eating well for our diabetes is one of them!
You're diabetic and your body needs things a certain way to help you live a long and healthy life. Give it a hand, don't damage what you have been given.
Some don't even get that!
Enjoy life but feed your body what IT needs. Nurture it.

Your fellow diabetic soldier. ;)

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
@NatJS

Don't look at it as a cheat, but perhaps a monthly treat? With the large gap between treats your body will have adjusted to going 'without', and I think you will be surprised at how you see these foods in a different light.

Certainly I have 'tried' foods and treats I used to adore when on a high carb diet, but now find they taste quite different to how I remembered them, cause a spike and then you feel ill afterwards - it's really not worth it and of course your body has ways to remind you to say 'No' to them.

If you find lchf works for you, them after a while of settled BGs you have a 'staple diet' you can refer to but can experiment with different foods to see what does and doesn't work for you.

The best person to tell you what you can/can't eat is your own body; and be guided by what your meter tells you. Keep a basic diary to remind you of what results you get from certain food types, and very quickly you can build up a large 'menu' of foods you can eat and what rises (if any) they will give you. This in turn gives you the confidence to go end eat out with friends, and enjoy some really tasty dishes. I have found in recent years if you ask the restaurant/pub/cafe for amendments to a menu (perhaps swap a side or ingredient) they are happy to oblige, and have even been told it helps them with their menus to create a healthy nutritious meal, which can be enjoyed by more people. Rarely has this created any increase in cost - which was an early fear and I didn't want to feel an awkward customer; however my requests have always been well-received.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @NatJS, I would be very wary of so called "treats", especially dessert based as they tend to be sugar bombs. When I was first diagnosed, my great family already used to make home made cakes following the recipes; we found we could halve the sugar and the end result was still sweet (through education then moved to Xyilotol, still at lower measures). We also used to go half white flower. My point is that off the self food does not make compromises, it is a disaster zone for diabetes and non diabetics.

My lovely wife made rubbard crumble yesterday using flax seed, almond flour, butter and a small amount of Xyilotol. My daughter makes almond meal and hazelnut biscuits which taste amazin.

If ice cream is your thing, I would try a little plain Oppo (Waitrose). This is great on berries.

Reactions: Bon83