is it possible to have a normal license and have type 1

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good Evening,
This will probably sound very stupid, But I'm very worried at the minute about my license. When I applied for my provisional license nearly 10 years ago (17) I filled out all the forms and clearly put that I was diabetic, I then got a questionaire back and I had to put the name of my gp and consultant and addresses if I had any complications if I got hypo warning signs what medication I was on etc etc I sent the form back and assumed that they would contact my doctors then I would get my license. I did get my license about 2 months later, but not far into learning to drive I had very bad control and my consultant siad, and I agreed that it would be a good idea to stop lessons until I had better control. I did but I didn't tell the dvla because I only had a provisional and there was no point as I wasn't driving. Any way fastforward I'm 20 got really good control because of my pump I start driving again and pass my test. Whenever I have my test I let the examiner know I'm diabetic and I'm wearing a pump sorry if it beeps and my bg is 7 etc etc. All fine I pass my test the examiner takes my provisional license and sends it away for me I get my new one in the post. I never realised that Diabetics have 3 year licenses mine is a 10 year one!!! I never knew that we had to renew every 3 years noone has ever mentioned that to me before I started going on this site.
If I call the dvla up will I get into trouble or do other diabetics have 10 year licenses as well?
If I'm not supposed to have a 10 year license where did I go wrong what other thing was I supposed to do? Will this invalidate my insurance or only if I have a crash due to diabetes? For my car insurance I alaways put DVLA aware no restrictions.
Thanks

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
think you do have a normal id license which needs renewing every ten years just to update the picture of you. You do need to contact the dvla asap explain and they will send u the correct form to fill in. insulin users do only get 3 year licences. If dvla are not aware which I don't think they are it would invalidate your insurance. when u contact them they will advise of ok for you to drive while sorting out.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

TonyTruthful

Make sure you let them know mate - even if it is the DVLAs fault they will punish you. Plus any insurance will bend over backwards not to pay out!

TT

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Max is a 3 year license with type 1, agree with others that you should contact the DVLA and let them know about their mistake.

Freya

The DVLA look upon you as a driver to ensure you declare anything that needs to be declared. Basically everyone else is right, you need to at least write to them to let them know. I would say phone but you have no proof of that, if you at least keep a copy of the letter you have done your bit and written to them to clarify if your license is right. Its a huge organisation and they do make errors but if your driving knowing you should have a three year license it all comes back on you! Its not worth the risk!

Hope you get it all sorted out!

sammy boy

Yes. I passed at 17 and have a ten year license. My cousin also initially had a ten year license before changing to 3 years ones later on in life.