Is it possible to have type 2 diabetes but gain weight?

Hampshire_Lad

Hi,
I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes but am worried reading all the diet plans on this website that I have no option but to lose weight in order to reduce my Hbac1 glucose level down from 61.
I'm 6 foot 3 and 12 stone and very skinny. I cant face losing weight and becoming even skinnier because as it is I stick out like a sore thumb

So my question is, does it go hand in hand that if you have diabetes then you cannot healthily put on weight by choice? Or is there a diet plan out there that can either help me gain weight or at least maintain my current weight please?

Reactions: toonlad66

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was a 'healthy' weight on diagnosis, I lost one and a half stones and I'm still a healthy weight. I do not wish to lose any more weight so I am experimenting with reintroducing some carbs (by way of carrots and peas, anything that does not spike my bg) and have regained 2lbs. I will continue to do this until I can maintain my weight but not at the cost of rising bg. Hope this helps.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is perfectly possible not to lose weight, and even to gain weight. Keeping carbs low is essential if you want to control your blood sugar levels, but you can still use proteins and fats to keep the weight on. If you do some calorie counting, and maintain a correct calorie balance for your size and lifestyle, you can gain the calories you lose from reducing carbs by adding calories from proteins and fats. It will be a balancing act, with lots of trial and error, but it can be done.

Reactions: No2D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure you are type 2? I don't know how you've been diagosed or how long you've had diabetes, but there are still GP's around who don't know grown-ups can get type 1 as well. It tends to start slower than it does in children and looks a lot like type 2 at the start. Skinny + high blood sugars might be LADA (type 1 in adults). Please don't take offence if you already know all this. Good luck!

Mark_1

I'd look at increasing calories from fats and protein whilst lifting weights to increase muscle. Heavy weights and compound exercises like squats, dead-lifts, presses, rows etc, the exercises that you can lift the most weight.

Hampshire_Lad

Are you sure you are type 2? I don't know how you've been diagosed or how long you've had diabetes, but there are still GP's around who don't know grown-ups can get type 1 as well. It tends to start slower than it does in children and looks a lot like type 2 at the start. Skinny + high blood sugars might be LADA (type 1 in adults). Please don't take offence if you already know all this. Good luck!

Hi. No offence taken at all as I'm a newbie and all info is gratefully received.
The doc and the diabetic nurse both told me I was type 2 so I suppose I have to trust their diagnosis.

Hampshire_Lad

It is perfectly possible not to lose weight, and even to gain weight. Keeping carbs low is essential if you want to control your blood sugar levels, but you can still use proteins and fats to keep the weight on. If you do some calorie counting, and maintain a correct calorie balance for your size and lifestyle, you can gain the calories you lose from reducing carbs by adding calories from proteins and fats. It will be a balancing act, with lots of trial and error, but it can be done.

Hi, thanks for your post.
When you say to eat proteins and fats which type of foods do you mean?
I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question but If I can have an idea of specific foods that will help me maintain my weight I can plan my eating regime more effectively.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for your post.
When you say to eat proteins and fats which type of foods do you mean?
I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question but If I can have an idea of specific foods that will help me maintain my weight I can plan my eating regime more effectively.

I mean fats and proteins such as eggs, cheese, oily fish like salmon, meat, fish, avocado, mayonnaise, olive oil, nuts, dairy foods (except milk).

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd definitely go along with Bluetit and Mark: eggs, cheese, mayonnaise will allow you to put weight on without (hopefully) raising your BG. Walnuts, almonds and pistachios also make it relatively easy to put weight on. I like to have aubergine/ eggplant stirfried with fatty beef or duck- my bloods are low after, but it's very nutrient rich. If you're young and tall and reasonably fit, those sort of rich healthy meals might be good?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm 6 foot 3 and 12 stone and very skinny. I cant face losing weight and becoming even skinnier because as it is I stick out like a sore thumb.

At diagnosis last February I was 81KG (12.7 stone) and I am 6'4" so slightly taller than you. I am a naturally skinny body type. I went on a low-carb diet and now weigh 71KG (11.2 stone). My BMI is still in the "normal weight" range albeit right at the bottom of the range.

But the key thing is that I completed reversed my T2 diabetes. As to sticking out like a sore thumb, well, I've just learned to live with it since the teen-age years (I am now 60).

I also considerably increased the amount of daily exercise, including some physiotherapy designed to bulk up the muscle in my legs and glutes. The increase in muscle has been moderate but presumably still helpful.

The results see for themselves (see below). Good luck!

Last edited: