Is Metformin a slimming drug in disguise?

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor says this drug causes weight loss and I my case he doesn't want me to lose anymore weight so wants to reduce dose. Is he correct!!!

Is this a slimming drug in disguise??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is known to be an appetite suppressant, and therefore likely to help with weight loss.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm still waiting for it to work but it is on pause til after a scan. I hope it does help me lose weight, again.
When I first used it on the trials in London in the 90s I lost 2stone. Stopped it for ivf. Added 2 stone then more.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I think I read somewhere that it was originally developed as a weight aid loss and then the benefits for diabetes patients were found later. Couldn't take it anyway (my tummy definitely didn't like it!).

A

asparagusp

I have been on Metformin for 16 years and it hasn't made me lose weight but there again maybe it has prevented me putting it on! Who knows! There are other health benefits associated with taking it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zand and MikeTurin

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I read somewhere that it was originally developed as a weight aid loss and then the benefits for diabetes patients were found later. Couldn't take it anyway (my tummy definitely didn't like it!).
I don't think the story right because similar molecules were used to lower the glucose level for diabetics - Metformin has way less side effect so got in widespread use.

It should be an appetite suppressants, but for me didn't work like this, I have a lot of appetite!

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way I think that also having to cut on yummy foods has an effec on weight, I I have to limit pizza and ice creams and say bye bye to Nutella and Kit Kat,I suppose that one is going to lose weight...

Last edited:
A

asparagusp

Metformin was prescribed to my non diagnosed diabetic sister ..... for weight loss but she suffers from fibromyalgia and cannot take them.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I did initially lose weight with metformin, but the last couple of months, I have lost no weight

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It can have an effect on reducing calorie intake especially for those who are insulin resistant resulting in weight loss. The effect though can wear off long term. It isn't dramatic on its own though - some studies suggest an average of 2-4kg.

Reactions: Janet shade

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It suppresses my appetite and takes away some of the taste of food for me. I don't want to eat unless I am hungry and am hungry less often too. I asked to go back on it (after over a year without it) for this reason.

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The only way I lost any weight using Metformin was because I was permanently on the loo, with stomach problems and diarrhoea :(:(.
Even the slow release stuff upsets me if I take more than a 1000mg a day

maisie_hoggs

I was the same as last post. Both metformin and slow release metformin just gave me stomach cramps and diahorrea. If i needed to go to the toilet it was immediate.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been using it for years and I've never lost weight, in fact using it with insulin I'm bigger now than ever before, I don't get upset stomach problems or diarrhoea, I just keep on taking it

joneb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not helped me lose weight but haven't put any on either. I still have e a big appetite for my age.