Is there a "normal" dosage of Metformin?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Friends, I've been on 3 x 850 mg metformin/day for years, but I was told this week that the max daily dose has been revised to 1g/day and I've been reduced to 2 x 500- anyone else heard about this?

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I am taking 2x1000mg Metformin SR (Glugophage) and there has been no suggestion of changing it.

Reactions: mansingh01

willie01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all,

This may seem like a very innocent question .......but is there such a thing as a normal dosage of Metformin? I suppose I am needing to know what the maximum is before insulin is the next option. I was diagnosed as Type 2 at the start of this year and was prescribed 2000mg Metformin daily......building up over a few weeks from 1000mg to 1500mg and now 2000mg. My Doctor does not think that diet alone would do the trick. I realise that we are all different - but I'd like to know if others would consider this a high dosage. Many thanks.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I am currently on 500mg a day of Metformin SR. At diagnosis my HbA1c was 78 and was put straight onto Gliclazide 80mg a day, that was then reduced to 40mg and then taken off and put on Metformin which my body did not like and now I have been on Metformin SR. Still having issues like nausea, loss of appetite and weight loss but back at the doctors tomorrow.