Is there any point to testing my blood sugar first thing in the morning?

fullenglish22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the morning test relevant to my diabetes? Won't carbs or sugar be removed from my blood overnight? And is the result of my three monthly HbA1c a true picture of how well my insulin is working or is it affected by how much carbs and sugar I have eaten in that time?

Reactions: hazelzac

fullenglish22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the morning test relevant to my diabetes? Won't carbs or sugar be removed from my blood overnight? And is the result of my three monthly HbA1c a true picture of how well my insulin is working or is it affected by how much carbs and sugar I have eaten in that time?

Also has anyone watched Neal Barbara on iTunes who has a completely different take on reversing diabetes and says it can be done by reducing animal fat ?

Reactions: pjayem1964

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The importance of the morning test is debatable. I still do mine, but it is more from habit than anything else. There are too many things that can influence it, most of which are a mystery and outside our control. If you want to see what your normal base-line level is, the best time to test is before evening meal providing you haven't been snacking.

The HbA1c is a reasonable test for diagnosis purposes, and in people with standard red blood cells it is useful to see how much control you have generally. Not everyone has standard red blood cells. (I don't) What it does not do is catch the post meal spikes that cause the damage.

What is important are the post meal spikes. This is why it is advisable to test after meals to gauge what sort of control you have.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The importance of the morning test is debatable. I still do mine, but it is more from habit than anything else. There are too many things that can influence it, most of which are a mystery and outside our control. If you want to see what your normal base-line level is, the best time to test is before evening meal providing you haven't been snacking.

The HbA1c is a reasonable test for diagnosis purposes, and in people with standard red blood cells it is useful to see how much control you have generally. Not everyone has standard red blood cells. (I don't) What it does not do is catch the post meal spikes that cause the damage.

What is important are the post meal spikes. This is why it is advisable to test after meals to gauge what sort of control you have.
I agree, I don't bother testing in the mornings any longer... It depresses me to see fasting of 6.0 or above continually... Nothing I can do changes it either.... I've tried everything to no avail, so I gave up.

What mattered to me was flat lining if possible after eating and I now pretty much have nailed my diet with zero spikes above 1.0 so very rarely if ever go over 7.8

This reflected well in my a1c last week so I think I have the right approach for me now.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Also has anyone watched Neal Barbara on iTunes who has a completely different take on reversing diabetes and says it can be done by reducing animal fat ?

What a silly man! If reducing animal fat reversed diabetes then there wouldn't be any vegetarian or vegan diabetics - and I personally know three of them.

cadd79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, I don't bother testing in the mornings any longer... It depresses me to see fasting of 6.0 or above continually... Nothing I can do changes it either.... I've tried everything to no avail, so I gave up.

What mattered to me was flat lining if possible after eating and I now pretty much have nailed my diet with zero spikes above 1.0 so very rarely if ever go over 7.8

This reflected well in my a1c last week so I think I have the right approach for me now.

That's wonderful! What are you doing to get it that low?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me the morning test became a matter of simple economics. 1 test /day equates to 1 pak of strips per month. Ask yourself how long has it been since you made a change to your lifestyle or meds based on a morning reading? Does it tell you anything you need to know (i.e. if a driver, it may be necessary)

I do occasional spot checks just as reassurance, but no longer need it.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have said before on this board that I don't see the point of the morning test and I definitely don't see the point of the official fasting test. They take blood hours after I get up at an appointment time suitable to them and presumably after I have had liver dumps.

On a normal day I have breakfast and a morning walk and only then do I think that testing is of any value.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What a silly man! If reducing animal fat reversed diabetes then there wouldn't be any vegetarian or vegan diabetics - and I personally know three of them.
My hba1c dropped significantly when I stopped all animal fats :)

Reactions: OrsonKartt
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I never eat animal fat and my levels have still be well over 10. So I don't think it helps at all.
Welcome to the forum :) What do you eat? What kind of diabetes do you have and are you on any medication? This information will help people to help you (if you want help).

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
For me the morning test became a matter of simple economics. 1 test /day equates to 1 pak of strips per month. Ask yourself how long has it been since you made a change to your lifestyle or meds based on a morning reading? Does it tell you anything you need to know (i.e. if a driver, it may be necessary)

I do occasional spot checks just as reassurance, but no longer need it.

The test strips are **** expensive

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What are the pro n cons of the liver dumps?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are the pro n cons of the liver dumps?

They keep us alive is a very good pro. If the liver didn't dump when our glucose becomes too low for our energy needs, such as when fasting, we could go hypo and die. I'd say that is a very big plus.

A con is when they do dump, if our cells resist and won't let our insulin push the dumped glucose into our cells we end up with too much insulin and too much glucose in our blood stream, neither of which does us any good at all.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. ..im the opposite. .i check first thing in morning and before meals..as well as when driving..but rarely check 2 hours after meals... i figure the checks im doing are showing me that my insulin is working..worrying about 2 hours after is a bit late...what ive eaten is in me already ..lol..being careful with carbs ...avoiding /replacing where i can ...i eat at usually the same times every day so my pre meal reading gives me a good idea of how much insulin to take...it seems to work for me...i guess we all have our preferred ways..lol...take care all.

Reactions: Bexsy

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They keep us alive is a very good pro. If the liver didn't dump when our glucose becomes too low for our energy needs, such as when fasting, we could go hypo and die. I'd say that is a very big plus.

A con is when they do dump, if our cells resist and won't let our insulin push the dumped glucose into our cells we end up with too much insulin and too much glucose in our blood stream, neither of which does us any good at all.

Appreciation! Does it mean we should panic less when the reading is a bit high in the morning?