Is this a hypo ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
consider that your body may not be handling carbs too well ... it could be that simple.
Keep testing to get the idea of the rhythm

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think I may have to adapt as well, going to bed later certainly doesn't work as I still wake at 5 and I too get extremely tired.

I've suffered low sugar occasionally for over 20 yrs but my way of controlling it was to eat little and often, what is the correct thing to snack on I'm not sure, are bananas allowed, I still eat them.

If you don't mind me asking do you have to buy your test strips ? I'm finding them expensive at the moment, I have the Accu- Chek Aviva Nano monitor. 10 of them cost over £6. I like the finger pricker though as it doesn't hurt !

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
consider that your body may not be handling carbs too well ... it could be that simple.
Keep testing to get the idea of the rhythm

I will do, you may be right . Thank you.

How will I know it's not handling them, by readings ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think I may have to adapt as well, going to bed later certainly doesn't work as I still wake at 5 and I too get extremely tired.

I've suffered low sugar occasionally for over 20 yrs but my way of controlling it was to eat little and often, what is the correct thing to snack on I'm not sure, are bananas allowed, I still eat them.

If you don't mind me asking do you have to buy your test strips ? I'm finding them expensive at the moment, I have the Accu- Chek Aviva Nano monitor. 10 of them cost over £6. I like the finger pricker though as it doesn't hurt !
It's basically the same diet as for diabetics... and, little and often. Certainly no sugar!

The Accu-check Nano was my first monitor. It's great ! I get my strips off of eBay at about half the price the chemist charge.
Doctors only prescribe strips to Diabetics (and some, to only insulin-dependant ones)

But I also bought a CodeFree monitor and their strips are £7 for 50 and it's a nice little monitor.

I know that some DIabetics avoid bananas.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does it mean that if my test comes back pre diabetes I can't have sugar at all ? The type I mean is the sugar sprinkled on cereal and tea, I never use refined but know the unrefined is still sugar.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, if you needed to you could count it in your diet but make allowances for it. For instance, if a diabetic person wants chocolate he could allow himself one or two pieces to satisy him but he might have to forego something else in the way of carbs ... it all depends on how your own body reacts to sugar.

For instance, in my case, my readings are very near pre-diabetic range, so I keep tabs on them to avoid high spikes, as that is when the damage to tissue etc occurs. But if I eat a high carb meal, my readings go up to about 9 and they can stay there for 2 or 3 hours.... if I eat a square of chocolate, it can trigger a splurge of insulin from pancreas and it comes down to around 8. Any more than one piece and it goes back up again, even higher.

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
I don't think HbA1cs are ever done as a fasting test.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I had two Oatibix, which one is better , Oatibix or weetabix .

Hi Pegi, Oatibix are higher in carbs but slightly lower in sugar than Weetabix, all breakfast cereal contains sugar unfortunately. I'm following a low carb diet so would not eat either, but this doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't eat them!

Good luck with your results and let us know how you get on

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hypoglycemia in People Who Do Not Have Diabetes
Two types of hypoglycemia can occur in people who do not have diabetes:

• Reactive hypoglycemia, also called postprandial hypoglycemia, occurs within 4 hours after meals.
  • Fasting hypoglycemia, also called postabsorptive hypoglycemia, is often related to an underlying disease.
Symptoms of both reactive and fasting hypoglycemia are similar to diabetes-related hypoglycemia. Symptoms may include hunger, sweating, shakiness, dizziness, light-headedness, sleepiness, confusion, difficulty speaking, anxiety, and weakness.

To find the cause of a patient's hypoglycemia, the doctor will use laboratory tests to measure blood glucose, insulin, and other chemicals that play a part in the body's use of energy.

Reactive Hypoglycemia
Diagnosis
To diagnose reactive hypoglycemia, the doctor may

• ask about signs and symptoms
  • test blood glucose while the patient is having symptoms by taking a blood sample from the arm and sending it to a laboratory for analysis*
  • check to see whether the symptoms ease after the patient's blood glucose returns to 70 mg/dL or above after eating or drinking
A blood glucose level below 70 mg/dL at the time of symptoms and relief after eating will confirm the diagnosis.
NOTE: The oral glucose tolerance test is no longer used to diagnose reactive hypoglycemia because experts now know the test can actually TRIGGER hypoglycemic symptoms.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
my diabetic nurse had lows at lunch time. digestive biscuit and milk she swears by it. or lucozade and banana this is watch a paramedic gave me.

I think a lot of it is to do with whether the sugar intake triggers an insulin surge. Usually in Diabetics it doesn't . If not, then it's fine to eat the biscuit.
In someone who is not Diabetic a slower acting carb produces the desired result.

Last edited by a moderator: