Is this HbA1c a good enough result?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN has just rung me with my HbA1c result (tested yesterday). This is my first proper 3 month test, although I had a sneaky one in between.

14th January 53 (7%)
4th March 52 (6.9%)
15 April 50 (6.7%)

My DN said my next one in 3 months will show a bigger improvement because the one yesterday was only 6 weeks after the previous and is still averaging some of my "older" glucose. She seemed very pleased with me AND ...... she has left a meter on reception for me to pick up!!!!

Should I be pleased with this result, or should I be trying harder??

Reactions: 3 people

Karbstruck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice
You should be very pleased, especially after what the DN said. Congratulations! :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Bluetit

I think you should be pleased with that, I would be!

I wonder whether bringing your max daily carb down a bit would be beneficial?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit

I think you should be pleased with that, I would be!

I wonder whether bringing your max daily carb down a bit would be beneficial?

I have been gradually reducing the carbs and am now down to an average of 110g over the last 10 days. I started at 150, reduced to 130, then to 120. I think I have just about reached my limit now if I want to sustain it. I've also lost 20lbs and still losing. Hoping to keep off the meds.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are reducing your carbs exactly the right way - gradually. When you start testing you will see how different foods affect your glucose levels and which foods raise your blood sugar levels more than others. Any queries on when is the best time to test, come back here and ask. There are many people on here to offer you advice from their own experience.

Best wishes,

A

Reactions: 2 people