Is this normal?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep going up and then dropping in weight. Yesterday, I was 9 stone, today I am 8 and a half stone??? Is this normal? I have only been diagnosed a year and 3 months. I was told it was going to happen by the doctor at the diabetes clinic but I didn't think it would happen like this.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Alex_B Obvious question, but how accurate are your scales? I find mine can vary depending on how I stand on them and what surface they're on, and I treat them as a rough guide rather than a spot on measurement.

Also, how are your blood sugars? If you're high, you can lose weight quite quickly. Such a big change though seems more likely to be your scales though, unless you're very dehydrated.

I'm guessing you're not trying to lose weight - is that right? If so, I can move this thread to Type 1 for you.

Reactions: GrantGam

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@azure I don't know if their accurate, probably not. Just thought it was a bit weird. I do keep dropping in weight as sometimes when I go to my nans I use her scales and it says the same.

My blood sugars are high at the moment, but probably because I haven't eaten yet. Will do soon though.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure I don't know if their accurate, probably not. Just thought it was a bit weird. I do keep dropping in weight as sometimes when I go to my nans I use her scales and it says the same.

My blood sugars are high at the moment, but probably because I haven't eaten yet. Will do soon though.

Yes, it is a bit weird, but I've edited my post above to make clear I think it's probably the scales on this occasion.

But if you're losing weight over time, then that might be something to look into or speak/email your team about. High sugars will cause weight loss over time, and improving control can help, if that's the case.

Controlling Type 1 long term can be tricky because there always seems to be something happening, or something that needs tweaking. We all know how annoying that is, so do ask for input if your sugars are being a pain.

If you haven't eaten yet this morning and your sugars are high, that could be a waking rise. My sugars go up if I don't eat first thing. It's a nuisance, but happens to a lot of people.

Just keep an eye on the general direction your weight is going in :)

Reactions: Alex_B

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often find my weight can very substantially depending on when I way myself. If I weighed myself first thing in the morning and compared it to just after a large meal - I could find a pretty big difference.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I keep going up and then dropping in weight. Yesterday, I was 9 stone, today I am 8 and a half stone??? Is this normal? I have only been diagnosed a year and 3 months. I was told it was going to happen by the doctor at the diabetes clinic but I didn't think it would happen like this.
It sounds a little like fluid retension and loss, but the amount throws doubt on that argument. That is a rather big swing in a short time, so I would check the scales again.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you don't fluctuate half a stone day to day, scales are inaccurate