Is this possible?

sweetnsuga123

Hi there,
I went to the GP about a month ago with really bad thirst and dry mouth and she did a test for diabetes. My HBA1C was 33 and my random/fasting glucose was 3.8. Now I have developed oral thrush that won't go away despite using very strong anti fungals and the GP says she is perplexed as to why I would be getting it as a 19 year old. I read that oral thrush is common with diabetics because of the high amount of sugar in the saliva. I was wondering if I could still be diabetic but just experiencing a lot of highs and then I overproduce insulin to lower it which would factor for the lows which would still make my HBA1C and glucose test look normal but the highs are causing the thrush? Basically what I'm asking is can someone who has my results still be diabetic?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you just had some random tests done then in theory it could be possible that you just missed all the high spots. This is not true of the Hba1c and a reading of 33 is definitely not diabetic. The thirst is one of the symptoms of diabetes but I am forced to think that something else is causing yours.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Hba1c reading is I believe an average over approx 3 months, so 33 would make you non diabetic.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,
I went to the GP about a month ago with really bad thirst and dry mouth and she did a test for diabetes. My HBA1C was 33 and my random/fasting glucose was 3.8. Now I have developed oral thrush that won't go away despite using very strong anti fungals and the GP says she is perplexed as to why I would be getting it as a 19 year old. I read that oral thrush is common with diabetics because of the high amount of sugar in the saliva. I was wondering if I could still be diabetic but just experiencing a lot of highs and then I overproduce insulin to lower it which would factor for the lows which would still make my HBA1C and glucose test look normal but the highs are causing the thrush? Basically what I'm asking is can someone who has my results still be diabetic?
That's in the non diabetic range even though you have some symptoms. I think you need further checks to see what the problem is.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes the HbA1c is an unsuitable test for certain high glucose conditions and won't pick up high levels followed by a crash. You may be better asking for an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT). This involves a fasting test followed by a high glucose drink and then subsequent tests at an hour and 2 hours. Your GP should be able to arrange this for you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1cs may be unreliable for a number of reasons, including (but not restricted to) genetic factors and anaemia.
But I believe that the result is often inflated (in the case of anaemia) so would result in higher numbers, whereas your are low.
I have no idea whether raised iron levels would have the opposite effect.
Have a read of this.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150513210744.htm

I agree that a few random tests, or the glucose tolerance test that Buletit suggest would help would give you a good idea of what is happening.

And also, whether or not your symptoms are related to diabetes, then keep pushing until you understand what is going on. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sweetnsuga123 I would push for more tests to see if there's a cause for the thrush. I notice you said you had a dry mouth and then got oral thrush. A chronic dry mouth can make you more prone to thrush. That might be something your GP could look into.

Other conditions can make thrush more likely too, so some general blood tests might be a good idea just to rule other things out.

Good luck :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@sweetnsuga123 Can I move this thread to Ask A Question for you?

I've noticed your previous posts show you're worried about your blood sugar, but the results I've read are fine. My advice is to chat to your GP and keep an open mind about what might be causing the thrush. Your GP has been pro-active and done an HbA1C for you - which was normal - so ask about other possible causes of the thrush. Sadly, some (non-diabetic) people are just unlucky and get it lots, while others don't.

Keep pushing politely until you get some answers and some treatment that works. There are quite a few out there, so hopefully one will do the job for you :)

I've never had oral thrush but a friend's baby had it and I do know it took a couple of weeks or so to clear up.

robin47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've noticed your previous posts show you're worried about your blood sugar, but the results I've read are fine. My advice is to chat to your GP and keep an open mind about what might be causing the thrush. Your GP has been pro-active and done an HbA1C for you - which was normal - so ask about other possible causes of the thrush. Sadly, some (non-diabetic) people are just unlucky and get it lots, while others don't.

Keep pushing politely until you get some answers and some treatment that works. There are quite a few out there, so hopefully one will do the job for you :)

I've never had oral thrush but a friend's baby had it and I do know it took a couple of weeks or so to clear up.

Hi, I've got it right now. It's the first time I've had it but I downloaded " The Ultmate Candida Diet" by Lisa Richards. Basically you cut back on sugar and carbohydrates, avoid tobacco & alcohol, take probiotics, take antifungals like garlic or ginger and you also might get Nystan from your doctor. Today after 3 weeks I now feel totally clear!​

Reactions: azure