Is this possible?

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Folks,

My HBA1C was 55 in March and to be honest I kind of brought it on myself when the Doctor told me it was 48/46 I thought to call his bluff that I was diabetic so I consumed lots and lots of sugary foods and drinks for a period of about 6 months between the first HBA1C and the second.

What I am wondering is if all people get a rise of blood sugar to around 7 then if you consumed sugary drinks every hour then you would have a constant 7 a majority of the time regardless of how good your pancreas is.

This majority e.g. 5 days per week drinking 6 hours per day sugary drinks and food would then push a resting HBA1C upto 55 temporarily?

I've been measuring my bloods for a while using acu-chek aviva and I've been getting

4.2 On waking
5.2 - 6.0 2 Hours after a meal.
6.0 - 8.0 30 minutes (if a very carb heavy meal)

Given what I've been reading those are largely within acceptable limits of normal?

Today I went for my 6 monthly blood tests so we shall see if it drops though I have now embraced a very tight diet of 100carbs per day with (some exercse).

If people had of told me Low Carb looses weight I would have been alot lighter long ago. Sliming world restricted all foods LCHF has good alterantives and if eating Low carb you can bend the rules a little. e.g. 100 per day.

I know this isn't what people want to hear but I have had problems trusting my doctor and now I am diabetic I feel like I am stuck with him as he knows my medical history and it wont be that easy to just 'Up and Go'

With my doctor I suffered from Depression and he looked at me like I had two heads when I told him my worry.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi @sheepie123

https://chriskresser.com/when-your-normal-blood-sugar-isnt-normal-part-1/

if you read this you will see that 99% of the time non diabetics have blood sugars under 7.8 Thus it really is only very very occasionally that they will ever go above 7.8 at any time. Your numbers seem to be pretty close to that already , so hopefully with a more mindful diet and a less sugary drinks, you will be able to keep within the normal range reasonably easily and your hba1C move back into the non diabetic zone. The advice about avoiding eating " empty " calories and sugar laden stuff remains valid no matter who we are.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sheepie123 welcome!

That's great news that you caught your diabetes early and are now on the low carb diet.

I haven't read the Chris Kresser article yet, but your A1c of 48/46 indicates that you have type 2 diabetes though it's now in remission thanks to the low carb diet. Keep doing what you're doing. :)

I think you might find this lecture by Ivor Cummins, The Fat Emperor, interesting...

Increased insulin levels - (aka insulin resistance) - precedes type 2 diabetes by up to a decade.

Last edited:

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure about that I'm a worrier and like I said if I pushed 48 to 55 in 6 months because I deliberately ate sugar I can't be wrong saying the overall average would be up?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Confused. Your 48/46 A1c is equal to a 6.5%/6.4% A1c, prior to your sugar experiment. An A1C level below 5.7 percent is considered normal. An A1C level between 5.7 and 6.4 percent is considered prediabetes. An A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates type 2 diabetes.

The good news is that if you make some changes to the way you eat now, you can probably reverse your diabetes. If I had the option of reversal as opposed to remission, I'd go for it! :)

Don't worry about it. Do something about it.