Is this typical?

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found with mixed insulin when I low carbed I still got high bgs from protein. I reduced protein to be advised to add more fat to lose weight but weight never came down. Once I medium carbed and my bgs reduced with mixed insulin. Only with huge mixed insulin doses to keep my bgs in 4s or 5s did I start lising weight. I kept those bgs low and weight reduced more and more. I went onto seperate insulins and lower bgs fed my weight loss. 4s, 5s and odd 6s keep my weight reduction going. Added orilstat to equation and weight loss is still reducing but slowly.
Being on the correct amount of insulin and taking it at the correct time, is the key.
My mixed insulin was needed to be injected 20-30mins BEFORE food. I needed an injection with protein for supper.
I'm eating far less on seperate insulins. Far less fat too which slowed my digestion even more than my current slow one.
Good to know!

Reactions: ickihun

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For many years high protein lowcarb along with exercise is how I managed my diabetes. When that stopped working I started metformin. That worked and allowed me to eat a lot more carbs. But I started having terrible gastro problems from the pills. My A1c was still pretty low...about 5. The endo dr I had then was great! We ended up trying to go back to just diet and exercise with an almost no carb diet. It was working ok. But then the insurance company started denying almost everything from her office. She ended up retiring saying the insurance companies were not allowing her to practice good medicine. I floated around for a while but finally gave up on our system of medicine. I really was and still am afraid our system would kill me. I didn't see a doctor for almost 2 years. I let too many carbs sneak back into my diet. That's how I became insulin dependant. Now that I'm doing much lower carbs again Imay try just 1 dose daily and then eat mostly protien and fat to see how
I do.
Protein was the missing piece to my puzzle. I have to moderate it to .8-1 g per kg LEAN BODY MASS. For me it's about 4-5 oz divided through the day and then some protein plants like avo and nuts. If I eat more than three oz at a time I have to split my bolus. Some upfront and some an hour or so latter as protein digests slower.

Lchf is not high protein.

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Protein was the missing piece to my puzzle. I have to moderate it to .8-1 g per kg LEAN BODY MASS. For me it's about 4-5 oz divided through the day and then some protein plants like avo and nuts. If I eat more than three oz at a time I have to split my bolus. Some upfront and some an hour or so latter as protein digests slower.

Lchf is not high protein.
Miss read it. Thanks for the clarification. Protein seems to be my perfect food. I can eat as much as I want with out raising my bg much at all. Its the carbs that are my enemy with out drugs. Even some 'good' carbs are bad for me. Oatmeal makes my number shoot up for example.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Miss read it. Thanks for the clarification. Protein seems to be my perfect food. I can eat as much as I want with out raising my bg much at all. Its the carbs that are my enemy with out drugs. Even some 'good' carbs are bad for me. Oatmeal makes my number shoot up for example.
Me too - but it is a grain and so high carb, so high BG is to be expected.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I only started getting reoccuring high bgs once I reduced my carbs to 30-50g carb so my body diverted to protein instead of fat in lchf. I think at the time it was worked out as too much protein thereafter.
At thst time the more protein I ate the more hungry I became. (Like carb cravings but protein cravings) I added weight.
I might one day re-attempt lchf. I never say never!

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I only started getting reoccuring high bgs once I reduced my carbs to 30-50g carb so my body diverted to protein instead of fat in lchf. I think at the time it was worked out as too much protein thereafter.
At thst time the more protein I ate the more hungry I became. (Like carb cravings but protein cravings) I added weight.
I might one day re-attempt lchf. I never say never!
Agreed...what works today may not work tomorrow and vice versa.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Agreed...what works today may not work tomorrow and vice versa.
Totally.
I've had my body in such a state. Its just starting to unravel now.
Stress then burn out, then insulin then lchf then low carb high protein, now low carb, medium fat with not full orilstat med. I take 2 per day not 3. As eating just 2 meals but occasionally 3.
Lost just under 3 stones. (18kgs) Looks like still losing too.
I have another 4-5 stones to lose. Maybe by bariatric surgery as I know my body will just stop losing and then may start adding again. I was nearly bed ridden in winter. In one hellava state! I cannot face thst or even close again.

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Totally.
I've had my body in such a state. Its just starting to unravel now.
Stress then burn out, then insulin then lchf then low carb high protein, now low carb, medium fat with not full orilstat med. I take 2 per day not 3. As eating just 2 meals but occasionally 3.
Lost just under 3 stones. (18kgs) Looks like still losing too.
I have another 4-5 stones to lose. Maybe by bariatric surgery as I know my body will just stop losing and then may start adding again. I was nearly bed ridden in winter. In one hellava state! I cannot face thst or even close again.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Hope I'll get there soon. Right now I'm really just focused on my bs number. I would like to lose weight as well but one thing at a time.