isomalt

Petal50

could anyone tell me if this produce is safe for us diabetics? have found some sugar free sweeties with it in and while browsing the net it says isomalt can give some people stomach upsets.....
any experience????

jaykay

When I was first diagnosed I bought quite a few varieties : mint toffees, pear drops and cinammon sweets. If I had a couple I was fine but anymore than that and it was very noticeable!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
All those non-sugars are bulk laxatives - best avoided.

That does not apply to sweeteners like saccharine & the powders. (e.g. sucralose)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Petal50 said:
could anyone tell me if this produce is safe for us diabetics? have found some sugar free sweeties with it in and while browsing the net it says isomalt can give some people stomach upsets.....
any experience????

Seems to be fairly safe.........however read here.......

It’s quite common to find isomalt used as a sugar substitute, particularly in sugar free or dietetic foods. Unlike regular sucrose, isomalt does not tend to raise blood glucose levels and is considered safe for consumption by diabetics. Animal studies with suggest the product is not carcinogenic or toxic.

This does not mean that isomalt can’t create problems, especially when consumed in large quantities. Studies on people taking isomalt have linked the substance to a high rate of stomach upset, gas and diarrhea. Even in relatively low doses, isomalt can cause diarrhea in about 10% of women who take it and about 4% of men. Just as with sugar, it’s a good idea to keep consumption of isomalt to a minimal amount, more so for the stomach upset it may cause than because of any long-term negative effects.

(Source: Wisegeek)