It was such good advice to test before and after meals.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying to follow lchf for a few weeks now and I certainly don't feel hungry. My fbg has stayed in the sevens and eights but I have been happy that two hours after eating my levels are pretty much back to where they were before eating, usually around 7. My lowest reading has been 6.5.
I tested before dinner this evening and was quite disappointed with a reading of 8.0. I was very disappointed two hours later when I had gone up to 10.0. My meal was 150g minced beef which I shaped like a burger and cooked in the oven and served with a leek that I sliced and cooked in butter and added 60g full fat soft cheese.
Other than that I have had a two egg omelette and several cups of coffee with cream. I can't understand why I went so high but I am so glad that I am testing.
Any ideas?

Reactions: Prem51

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you exercise ? A strenuous workout will raise my BG .. others on here have reported the same.
Also are you feeling OK? If I'm coming down with a cold or bug my BG shows it first

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup. Saturated fat raises me more and I don't come down. I stick to lean protein, little if any cheese, not much butter. Never chicken skin, bacon etc.

Fish, egg, chicken, turkey, shrimp, lean lamb and beef. Lean. Visible fat trimmed. Sat fat is not my freind.

Plant fats like avocado. Olive oil, olives and some nuts are much friendlier than animal fat. Oh and dairy? Nope. Only tiny amounts occasionally. Wish I could gorge on butter, dairy, bacon, burgers but nope. Lean beef nad lamb are great but not fatty mince. For ME

This is my story. Others will differ.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is exactly what happened to me.
I had been getting very consistent results, and suddenly I was getting highs and then soon after, lows.
I can't say exactly why - just that it was the start of changes.
I can only say stick to low carb and see what happens.
If you follow the same sequence of events I experienced you should find that your waist starts to shrink as fat is mobilised.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you exercise ? A strenuous workout will raise my BG .. others on here have reported the same.
Also are you feeling OK? If I'm coming down with a cold or bug my BG shows it first
No, no exercise. I've been much less active since just before Christmas. I'm waiting for a start date for my new job. I don't think that I am coming down with anything, I feel fine.

Reactions: daisyduck

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, no exercise. I've been much less active since just before Christmas. I'm waiting for a start date for my new job. I don't think that I am coming down with anything, I feel fine.
Yup. Saturated fat raises me more and I don't come down. I stick to lean protein, little if any cheese, not much butter. Never chicken skin, bacon etc.

Fish, egg, chicken, turkey, shrimp, lean lamb and beef. Lean. Visible fat trimmed. Sat fat is not my freind.

Plant fats like avocado. Olive oil, olives and some nuts are much friendlier than animal fat. Oh and dairy? Nope. Only tiny amounts occasionally. Wish I could gorge on butter, dairy, bacon, burgers but nope. Lean beef nad lamb are great but not fatty mince. For ME

This is my story. Others will differ.
I have been enjoying the butter and cheese and especially the cream. Maybe I have been over indulging a touch. The mince I had yesterday was quite tasteless, possibly because I just shaped it and banged it in the oven, no fat or seasoning.
I was ready to give up this morning, I get weighed once a week and I haven't lost anything since the end of January. Fbg was 8.6 today and I had coffee and cream and two hard boiled eggs with 100g Hellman's full fat Mayo for breakfast and I was down to 7.0 two hours later.
I feel quite motivated by this and I will carry on but maybe I will look for alternatives to cheese and butter for a while.
Brussels sprouts and mackerel for dinner this evening. I'm looking forward to it.
I haven't got my head around commenting and awarding individual posts but I really do appreciate your advice and thanks to everybody who has taken the time to respond, hug etc. X

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worth testing the same meal again, and see if the same thing happens.
Sometimes things like stress and tiredness can have an impact, as well as the food.

Also, in my case, I find that milk, yog, soft cheeses, etc. will send my blood glucose higher than I would expect from the number of carbs in them. At the same time, hard cheeses, cream and butter have no blood glucose impact at all.

Weird, huh?
Took me ages to work out that it is the whey in the milk, yog and soft cheese, but that whey is removed from the hard cheese, butter and cream.

So, as I say, worth testing, and trying different foods and different combinations, until you have worked out what is going on - which will probably not be anything to do with whey! :D

Glad you are feeling motivated and enjoying the food. I must admit that I wouldn't want to go back to 'normal' eating. I enjoy this sooo much.

Have you seen the recipes on the DietDoctor website? They have a fantastic one for Burgers with feta in a creamy tomato sauce. Astonishingly good! Here is the link.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/hamburger-patties-with-creamy-gravy

Reactions: Swiggy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been enjoying the butter and cheese and especially the cream. Maybe I have been over indulging a touch. The mince I had yesterday was quite tasteless, possibly because I just shaped it and banged it in the oven, no fat or seasoning.
I was ready to give up this morning, I get weighed once a week and I haven't lost anything since the end of January. Fbg was 8.6 today and I had coffee and cream and two hard boiled eggs with 100g Hellman's full fat Mayo for breakfast and I was down to 7.0 two hours later.
I feel quite motivated by this and I will carry on but maybe I will look for alternatives to cheese and butter for a while.
Brussels sprouts and mackerel for dinner this evening. I'm looking forward to it.
I haven't got my head around commenting and awarding individual posts but I really do appreciate your advice and thanks to everybody who has taken the time to respond, hug etc. X
I always forget the award things!! I better figure that out.

Saturated fat, especially dairy will not allow me to lose a single ounce. Dairy is a well known weight staller. Of course it is because it tastes so good! Saturated animal fat didn't work for me. If I had chicken wings and ate the skin or a juicy beef burger my bs would keep rising for hours and I always had higher bs the next day or three. I then changed my fat sources to more mono/ plant fats and things got way better. I eat loads of avocado, olive oil, mayo, olives and a few nuts throughout the day for snacks. Since eating an avocado a day and cutting way back on saturated fat my cholesterol was perfect.
I still eat lamb chops and beef but I cut all visible fat off and buy lean steaks rather than mince. If I do eat mince it's a small amount.
Your bf looks like it was very bs friendly. Avocado ( here I go again) would make a good substitute of cheese and butter. I love Brussels sprouts with butter but garlic olive oil and sea salt is just as good to my taste buds.
Are you eating any grains? They go right to my rear end. I use large lettuce leaves ( romaine or Bibb/ Boston) if I want a vehicle like a sandwich. Even low ca b crackers or breads forget it as far as weight for me.
Trying to balance and find new foods is time consuming and can be frustrating. I keep things very simple. Some avocado, some protein and a few veggies. I make different dips/ sauces/ dressing using mayo for a base. I mix in either hot sauce, mustard, horseradish. Gives me variety.

Also to add in the absence of carbs or after you've had enough for maintence and repair, protein turns to glucose. It is said we cannot process more than 3 ounces per meal. I find that to be true. If I eat more than three ounces I will spike. I do a lot of cooking in bulk and freezing my weighed portions in baggies. This is not true for everyone but might be something to look at. I use protein more as a side dish than the main course. Then I add avocado and a few vlc veggies. I use an appetizer plate as a measuring tool. I do weigh all my protein because I have to

Rambling.....
Keep going, just swap the dairy for something else. And to add, most of us eat far more food than we actually need. Keep portions in check.
You're doing great. It's all a learning curve!

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could, of course, have been a rogue reading!
Always worth a re-test when you get an unexpected result.

If it's a meal you like, don't give up on it, or anything else, after just one test.

iHs

I found that eating more fat but less carb tended to make my bg levels go up a bit after a week or so and my bodyweight also increase a little bit so I just increased my basal by about 1u over 24hrs

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
You should be aware of the dawn phenomenon, also called Somogyi effect if it occurs but not near dawn.

If your blood glucose drops too low, your liver will start dumping any glucose it has stored, and also starts
converting proteins into glucose. This may or may not stop when your blood glucose rises enough.

What is the dawn phenomenon that some people with diabetes experience? Can anything be done about it?
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/dawn-effect/faq-20057937

Somogyi effect VS. Dawn Phenomenon
http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/blood_sugar_management/garnero_0106
Divide the blood glucose readings in this article by 18 to get the equivalent reading in the system used in the UK.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tested before dinner this evening and was quite disappointed with a reading of 8.0. I was very disappointed two hours later when I had gone up to 10.0. My meal was 150g minced beef which I shaped like a burger and cooked in the oven and served with a leek that I sliced and cooked in butter and added 60g full fat soft cheese.
Other than that I have had a two egg omelette and several cups of coffee with cream. I can't understand why I went so high but I am so glad that I am testing.
Any ideas?

I'm a couple of weeks into LCHF and find that I get readings I don't understand.

My FBG is knocking around the low 8s. I had the same meal on Monday night and Tuesday night (I cook enough for two nights for the days I am working). On Monday night it raised my BG by 2.9 three hours after eating (up from 7.6) - last night it was only up by 0.7 three hours later (up from 8.0)

Both days very similar in exercise levels etc. The only difference was that Monday was a paperwork day at home and on Tuesday I commuted by car to Sheffield (nightmare journey in and out of the city to the motorway) but still sat at a desk most of the day!

I think it's possibly too early to see any established pattern while our bodies are still adapting to the new regime - perhaps after about 6 weeks we may be a little clearer.

I'm doing a test on how exercise affects my BG levels today as a lunch last week shot me up to 11.3 and the only difference was a quick walk into town and back before eating.

I'm sure perseverance and a bit more data will let us see what our bodies are up to :)

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a couple of weeks into LCHF and find that I get readings I don't understand.

My FBG is knocking around the low 8s. I had the same meal on Monday night and Tuesday night (I cook enough for two nights for the days I am working). On Monday night it raised my BG by 2.9 three hours after eating (up from 7.6) - last night it was only up by 0.7 three hours later (up from 8.0)

Both days very similar in exercise levels etc. The only difference was that Monday was a paperwork day at home and on Tuesday I commuted by car to Sheffield (nightmare journey in and out of the city to the motorway) but still sat at a desk most of the day!

I think it's possibly too early to see any established pattern while our bodies are still adapting to the new regime - perhaps after about 6 weeks we may be a little clearer.

I'm doing a test on how exercise affects my BG levels today as a lunch last week shot me up to 11.3 and the only difference was a quick walk into town and back before eating.

I'm sure perseverance and a bit more data will let us see what our bodies are up to :)
Thanks Ultramum, I will stick with it. After the pancakes last night I am 9.9 this morning. You are right, as time goes by we will learn more about how different things affect us.
Good luck with the exercise test.

Reactions: Ultramum

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In case you are interested this is what happened when I tested the effect of exercise today ...

I walked 1.5km in 15 minutes so at 100m/m which is a fast pace for walking (only just able to hold a conversation) and tallies with my 'avoiding loitering shoppers' pace when in my lunch hour!

The results are in:

10.00 am ... 8.0 - pre exercise
10.20........ 8.5 - 5 mins post exercise
10.45........ 9.4 - 30 mins post exercise
11.15........ 8.5 - 1hr post exercise
11.45........ 7.4 - 1.5hrs post exercise

I now need to repeat the same tomorrow (or Friday having looked at the weather forecast!) but at what I call my 'dogwalking pace' = reasonably fast but no effect on conversation. It may be I need to moderate my exercise pace until I've licked the diabetes beast a bit more and my BG levels are more controlled.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In case you are interested this is what happened when I tested the effect of exercise today ...

I walked 1.5km in 15 minutes so at 100m/m which is a fast pace for walking (only just able to hold a conversation) and tallies with my 'avoiding loitering shoppers' pace when in my lunch hour!

The results are in:

10.00 am ... 8.0 - pre exercise
10.20........ 8.5 - 5 mins post exercise
10.45........ 9.4 - 30 mins post exercise
11.15........ 8.5 - 1hr post exercise
11.45........ 7.4 - 1.5hrs post exercise

I now need to repeat the same tomorrow (or Friday having looked at the weather forecast!) but at what I call my 'dogwalking pace' = reasonably fast but no effect on conversation. It may be I need to moderate my exercise pace until I've licked the diabetes beast a bit more and my BG levels are more controlled.

A similar thing happens to me. When I'm out on a 3 hour dance night, a few almonds nibbled at regular intervals seems to keep it in check.
I usually do my fast 40 min walk after tea which is my largest meal of the day and that seems to lower BG too.

Although you have dropped below pre exercise levels after 1.5 hours so that's good.

I'm not sure how these exercise spikes affect Hba1c levels ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight loss has stopped too - which is good - I think, I hope that I am now using insulin to remove glucose from my blood and store it away rather than having it going around causing damage.

Insulin is the fat producing hormone. I am eating small enough amounts of carbohydrate for my weight to stay stable so things are in balance - but I can see my shape changing, fat is being mobilised - normal things are going on.
When I can remember to take my Thyroxine tablets every day, and the weather is warmer and I can make good use of my bus pass, I am sure that my weight will begin to go down again.

David22272

Just thought I would mention that I am a little uncomfortable with the ingredients breakdown for Hellman's mayo. These include sugar but there is a zero against carbohydrates. The percentage for sugar is not listed so you can't even guess the carbohydrate level.
A reminder that your glucose absorption is strongly affected by the GI rating of your food, so when testing before and during exercise, if you wish to lower your carbohydrate absorption rate add some low GI food. and then do your testing again to see if this has an effect.
There is some reference to carrots, carrots are quite high in glucose. I made this mistake earlier on and have now considerably reduced my carrot intake.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I would mention that I am a little uncomfortable with the ingredients breakdown for Hellman's mayo. These include sugar but there is a zero against carbohydrates. The percentage for sugar is not listed so you can't even guess the carbohydrate level.

Hellmanns Real Mayo has 1.3g carbs per 100g, of which sugars are 1.3g grams per 100g. Very acceptable amounts. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254884595

Reactions: Ultramum