itchy

sue999

hi, is there anybody else out there suffering with embarissing itchyness down below? just want to see what other people have to say on here about it before i see the doctor, would be gratefull for any advice

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This can be caused by high blood sugars, do you know what your blood sugars are ?

sue999

i dont know what my levels are, was diagnosed with t2 in november & the level was 12. doctor wouldnt let me have a testing machine. said it was"nt neccesary. this problem is really getting me down

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
When you visit the doctor you should get something that will help with the itch.

You really need to be able to test your blood, you need a tester, to help control your blood sugar.

Try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

carolynjw

when I was first diagnosed, and badly controlled, I used to have thrush regularly. Hope that helps.

Carolyn x

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I had this problem too before I was diagnosed. If your doctor does not prescribe test strips perhaps you could purchase a meter and purchase you own strips from the manufacturer or online as this is cheaper than buying at the chemist. The strips are expensive so you manufactureres will often give one free so look. Getting your blood sugar under control will help to stop the itch from returning again.

sue1959

I had this problem for ages before plucking up courage to go have a test. I knew it was one of the signs of having diabetes. I found that thrush creams worked but in a day or two Iit was back. A soon as I started on my meds and cut sugars out all together it cleared up. Now when I stray a bit and perhaps have a chocolate or 2 (well it is Christmas) I start itching again so needless to say I don't do that often!

sue999

thanks for everybodys replies, well i went to the drs this morning & they have confirmed its thrush and have give me some tablets to take . said this would clear it up as the creams dont always work. also asked him for a meter so i could keep an eye on sugar levels.he said no but if blood test still comes back high in a couple off weeks he will reconsider. if not i will have to buy one. do the test test strips work on all machines?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
do the test test strips work on all machines?

No, each manufacturer has their own test strips . If you buy a meter make sure that you can get the test strips on prescription in your area, ask the chemist about this as not all meters have test strips on the NHS.

sue999

well i am going to try really hard from now on & see what the blood test comes back in a couple off weeks. hope to feel better soon. thanks everyone :D

diales51

Dislikes
Not having any chocolate to eat.....
Hi All,

Yeah, i have started having this itchy problem myself, but, i have noticed it is since my blood sugars have been high, the Dr's keep threatening to put me on insulin, but, i do not want to go on insulin, because as far as i know, it is the last form of medicine which can help us Diabetic, if any one knows different please post and let us know....
Also i suffer with a lot of Thrush too, because of the Diabetes....
I got my Free blood testing machine, needles, and strips from my Diabetic nurse, but previous to that i had to buy my own one from the chemist, also that is where i could buy the strips and needle, from the company who supplies the blood testing machine, i hope this helps...xx....
Luv Les, x.

jjankh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there
I'm new to the forum and recently diagnosed T2, so glad I joined as I have the same 'itchy' problem that has been going on for a while. Had a course of antibiotics now on a 2nd course, even trying thrush cream etc. :oops: What a night mare, hate it and feel in pain all the time. Diabetese is in the family on my mum's side and now my two brothers are on insulin. I am just on statins and metphormin tablets but still getting used to all this. :? jjankh

Pumpkin

I'm a bloke and have had similar problem for years. In the past had relied on all too regular reliance of canestan HC cream. Recently worsened. Saw doc and he gave me anti thrush cream with strict regime of wash, apply, repeat twice a day for ten days. Then no more canestan HC. The he said to apply vaseline every day. IT WORKS!

By the way, doc told me that relying on anti-thrush cream over a long period is not good.

PS. Am horrified to hear of yet another idiot doc refusing test kits. Change your doctor.

jjankh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Things have finally calmed down now, but needed to take meds that sorted me out e.g. cream, antibiotics, soluble solution to drink. Still keeping an eye on things. Heard that natural yogurt is really good, anyone tried this one? Not sure what the effects for for men and how you manage this but it is a nightmare for women. The worse thing is that it transfers to partners if not cured properly, what a game.

sue999

hi pumpkin, thanks for the advice . most drs are against self testing. i could change drs & still not be given meter/strips on perscription. or do you ask surgerys before you register?

Pumpkin

Hi Sue - some Health Trusts might not encourage self testing owing to cost of providing strips. (£25 a tub of 24?) Or it might merely apply to that particular practise. However most are enlightened. Perhaps the best route is to request a visit to your area/hospital diabetic centre for a discussion about your diabetes - including the use of self testing.

betic

same here..get your sugar under control ...mine was hell until i started the exercise routine which after a couple of weeks started to calm down, and the itching decreased...the relief was immense..
i had the thrush tablet on two occasions this helped me alot until the exercise and diet regime kicked in, which took in my case about two weeks...
good luck!!