I've just spotted Lindt 85% chocolate on offer in Tesco

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for sharing Swiggy. I buy the Tesco 85% chocolate which I think is £2 from memory - it's one of my treat items I allow myself, the other being a few salted roast peanuts.

Reactions: Debzz_ and Swiggy

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can often get it on offer, so it'd worth keeping an eye out! At the moment Ocado also have an offer on - 3 bars for £5.00, so slightly more than Tesco. And Amazon will sometimes have similarly priced offers on multiple bars (usually 4).

Dark, high % cocoa chocolate can be beneficial as it apparently helps with insulin resistance, so unless you have some specific reason to avoid it, it can (in moderation!!) be a nice, good healthy treat for us.:p

Robbity

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
If anyone ( @Daphne917 , I'm looking at you!) has an empty wrapper to hand, could you post the Carb/Sugar content so I can can compare it with my regular Lidl version?

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for sharing Swiggy. I buy the Tesco 85% chocolate which I think is £2 from memory - it's one of my treat items I allow myself, the other being a few salted roast peanuts.
This chocolate is on offer in my local Tesco for £1.50, and I notice Kerrygold butter on offer at £1.20 and unsweetened Almond Breeze on offer too, but I forget how much for.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I got some very reasonably priced peanut butter from Aldi, own brand.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone ( @Daphne917 , I'm looking at you!) has an empty wrapper to hand, could you post the Carb/Sugar content so I can can compare it with my regular Lidl version?
@nomoredonuts carbs are 34g and sugars 29g per 100g - works out at 3.4 carbs per square. They also do a dark hazelnut one which I've had the (mis) fortune to find which is 42g carbs and 39g sugars. I only have a couple of squares at a time so I still have it as a treat!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@nomoredonuts carbs are 34g and sugars 29g per 100g - works out at 3.4 carbs per square. They also do a dark hazelnut one which I've had the (mis) fortune to find which is 42g carbs and 39g sugars. I only have a couple of squares at a time so I still have it as a treat!
Thanks @Daphne917 , for general information, the Lidl one (J D Gross) Ecuador 70%, is 36g carbs, 29g sugar, which works out at 4.5g carb and 3.6g sugar per square. so not much in it. It probably comes down to what is your local store. Thanks again.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Green & Black's 85% is £1.50 at Sainsbury's at the minute :hungry:

Bigman49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have HEIDI Dark Extreme at 85% cocoa. 80g bars are 41.6g fat; 27.2g saturates; 14.4g Carbs of which 11.2 sugar and 6.8g of Protein (calculated from the 100g figures). They also do a Lime & Lemon and a Orange. Dark intense at 80% cocoa and a Dark Espresso which has 25.6g fat of which 16.8g saturates; 44g carbs of which 43.2g sugar; 2.56g protein and 0.01g salt. all at £1.16 bar at Asda. Sometimes they go on special for £1.00 a bar. Without opening another bar (LoL!) I think there are 8 big squares but quite thin. The L&L and Espresso are very Moorish and the Extreme is pure cocoa indulgence. Half a bar is good but when the BG is below 5 (quite often) I will have a full one as the fancy takes me. Happily I can resist temptation for over a week (sometimes!). I keep one in the car and a bottle of water and change them (in other works eat and drink) once a month. All bars are less than 500 Kcal per bar not that I count calories, as I am eating HFLC the last 2 months and lost 18lb to date.

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Moser Roth, Dark, 85% cocoa.
Per 100g: 608kcal, fat/sat 51/31g, carbs/sugar 18/14g, fibre 15g, protein 11g, salt 0.38g
Per bar 25g, 152kcal, fat/sat 13/7.7g, carbs/sugar 4.6/3.5g, fibre 3.7g, protein 2.9g, salt 0.09g
I think you can buy it from Lidl.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks @Daphne917 , for general information, the Lidl one (J D Gross) Ecuador 70%, is 36g carbs, 29g sugar, which works out at 4.5g carb and 3.6g sugar per square. so not much in it. It probably comes down to what is your local store. Thanks again.
I've got a bar of the Lidl 70% Ecuador with orange. So nice! (£1.29 for 125g bar - 36% carb)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've got a bar of the Lidl 70% Ecuador with orange. So nice! (£1.29 for 125g bar - 36% carb)
I think the raspberry one shaves the carbs down even further. (Must remember my my reading specs when I go shopping!)

kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, Arrogance and warm beer
They are both (Lindt & Green & Black) on the shelves here too and i have been avoiding them, used to love chocolate:angelic:, so it would appear all of the above are ok?
In moderation of course.
Do you mean to say I have been missing out?:(

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco's own brand 85% Chocolate (Ivory Coast & Equador) is £ 1.00 a bar and much nicer than Lindt IMHO

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lidl 81 percent is 24 percent carbs, but I have found a couple of brands of 'no added sugar' chocolate which have their own built in limitation of polyols aka sugar alcohols. It is a mental limit, as I know what happened when I ate three Atkins bars in one hour. Never again. At least it means that I can buy half a dozen bars when I see them and know that I will not go overboard.