Januvia and tinnitus

FierceViking

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Need som advice here. I was dianosed T2 in March and have been on metformin and Eucreas before going on Januvia. The metformin-based drugs were a PIA due to side effects so my diabetic nurse put me on Januvia instead. They were reluctant on putting me on other drugs mostly due to cost efficiency...
A week or so after using the 100mg pills x 1/day, I started noticing this annoying ringing in my ears at all times. It's come to a point where I really have to consentrate to not let this high pitch noise ruin my day to day activities, and it's driving me nuts! My hba1c rose almost 1% before I was put on Januvia, and my fasting bg is now (after a month on the new meds) anything from 7,5-10...
I have never had any problems with tinnitus before, so I'm guessing the meds are to blame, but googling for info doesn't give me very much.

Can you please share your thoughts and experiences?
I'm not due for another appointment with the diabetes nurse for another month, so I'm considering going off meds for a few weeks to see if anything changes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, I take januvia (sitagliptin).
And they can give you tinnitus as a side effect.
Ask your GP or dsn to change to a different gliptin.

I don't believe, I've had any side effects!

FierceViking

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I got off the phone with my diabetes nurse this afternoon, after calling her on Friday to ask about the side effect... She said, without listening to me, that she had checked up on the possibility of Januvia causing tinnitus, and there were "no reports". I tried telling her that I'd done some research and that I found a study where a small percentage of the patients on Januvia had reported this... I don't know if I got trough to her, but I was scheduled an appointment on Thursday to be started on Victoza. Kind of looking forward to trying something else, but also a bit scared of the side effects...

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I would print off the summary of the study that shows the tinnitus side effect and leave in reception marked for her attention. But my GP always says to me that if I want to convince him of something, I have to give him proper medical evidence.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App