Job trial tomorrow... Nerves.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am doing a job trial tomorrow for two hours. Not long, but I'm worried I'll get nervous and have a hypo. What to suggest doing beforehand? It's at a nursery, so not sure what they'll have me doing. I'm guessing just interacting with the children and getting to know activities etc.
Also, not really to do with diabetes(my bad) but at the interview, they asked if I had any holidays booked. I said no, but in this last week my boyfriend has randomly booked a holiday for us for a week in November. Can I tell them? I mean surely, I can as I'm not even employed by them yet? Thank you!!!

Reactions: Freema

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As you said no holidays booked then if you are given the job you can not expect to be given time off for a holiday after a couple of weeks can you?
Obviously check your bloods before you start your assessment and if in doubt top up with a few carbs.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am doing a job trial tomorrow for two hours. Not long, but I'm worried I'll get nervous and have a hypo. What to suggest doing beforehand? It's at a nursery, so not sure what they'll have me doing. I'm guessing just interacting with the children and getting to know activities etc.
Also, not really to do with diabetes(my bad) but at the interview, they asked if I had any holidays booked. I said no, but in this last week my boyfriend has randomly booked a holiday for us for a week in November. Can I tell them? I mean surely, I can as I'm not even employed by them yet? Thank you!!!
Unfamiliar circumstances (such as a new job) can make your BG drop, but you'll probably find that you're more likely to run a wee bit high as a response to stress hormones. I'd just do as you do normally, regular testing and carry some glucose tablets or sweets in your pockets, but you should be fine:)

You can be honest and say that your partner has booked a last minute surprise holiday for you. As you are not yet employed, the employer should already have available staff to cover.

Good luck with your job trial!

Grant

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

yes tell them about the holidays ... maybe they would like to have holidays off with their children and therefore asked you ... but you didn´t know...about your boyfriends surprise..
it is so nice to be with all the chlldren don´t be nervous...

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As you said no holidays booked then if you are given the job you can not expect to be given time off for a holiday after a couple of weeks can you?
Obviously check your bloods before you start your assessment and if in doubt top up with a few carbs.

I know, but the thing is this interview was a week ago. Got my trial tomorrow and I won't know if I've got the job for a while. Seeing as I'm unemployed surely I can't turn it down? Haven't had a break in so long and it would be nice if they could understand lol
Okay I will do thank you :)

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
yes tell them about the holidays ... maybe they would like to have holidays off with their children and therefore asked you ... but you didn´t know...about your boyfriends surprise..
it is so nice to be with all the chlldren don´t be nervous...

Thank you I'll tell them anyway x

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unfamiliar circumstances (such as a new job) can make your BG drop, but you'll probably find that you're more likely to run a wee bit high as a response to stress hormones. I'd just do as you do normally, regular testing and carry some glucose tablets or sweets in your pockets, but you should be fine:)

You can be honest and say that your partner has booked a last minute surprise holiday for you. As you are not yet employed, the employer should already have available staff to cover.

Good luck with your job trial!

Grant

Okay, thank you :) I'll just have food in my bag just in case! And yes I was thinking this. As I'm not on a contract in allowed surely? Ah I dunno: don't wanna leave a bad impression but kinda could do with this week

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know, but the thing is this interview was a week ago. Got my trial tomorrow and I won't know if I've got the job for a while. Seeing as I'm unemployed surely I can't turn it down? Haven't had a break in so long and it would be nice if they could understand lol
Okay I will do thank you :)
I would suspect if you wont cancel the holiday if given the job and thus make yourself as if refusing the terms and conditions you are making yourself unemployable and JSA will be docked if you are on it. But you wont know until you are offered the job :)

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would suspect if you wont cancel the holiday if given the job and thus make yourself as if refusing the terms and conditions you are making yourself unemployable and JSA will be docked if you are on it. But you wont know until you are offered the job :)

If they say no then I'll cancel the holiday. But I was just wondering. It's an apprenticeship and surely I'm not employed as of yet so I'm allowed to agree to something like this? If they have a problem with the week off then I'll just cancel.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
can´t you have planed holidays in GB when being unemployed ?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If they say no then I'll cancel the holiday. But I was just wondering. It's an apprenticeship and surely I'm not employed as of yet so I'm allowed to agree to something like this? If they have a problem with the week off then I'll just cancel.
It all depends on when the start date is doesn't it? An apprenticeship is a contract. If I were your potential employer and you insisted on holidays within weeks of a start date (if the case) I would show you the door.

Do you actually know the start date if you are successful?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It all depends on when the start date is doesn't it? An apprenticeship is a contract. If I were your potential employer and you insisted on holidays within weeks of a start date (if the case) I would show you the door.

Okay. There is no need to be rude lol. No I don't. If I'm successful then they will have to run a crb check etc so I have no idea. If they have a problem I'll just say it doesn't matter

Reactions: Freema

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Okay. There is no need to be rude lol. No I don't. If I'm successful then they will have to run a crb check etc so I have no idea. If they have a problem I'll just say it doesn't matter
I wasn't being rude I can assure you just pointing out the obvious. You will probably be fine as it takes a month of Sunday's to run CRB checks :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would say that's rather harsh CarbsRock.

Whilst not ideal @Chloesnavy , I think provided you tell them tomorrow, and make it clear you didn't know or you would have declared it last time, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. I would hate to think that was the only reason they have interest in you over other candidates.

Were you to wait until offered the job, then tell them, although they might honour your holiday, it might leave them with a niggle over your integrity, which nobody wants.

Enjoy your day, and I would get telling them out of the way early on in your time with them, so that you can relax and enjoy the experience. Having that in the back of your mind could impair your performance on the day.

Good luck tomorrow, and let us know how it goes.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure most employers realise that when recruitment processes are drawn out things like a suprise holiday can crop up - just mention it tomorrow, that since you last answered your bf has booked you a holiday. I'm sure it won't be an issue and its better to up front with these things.

On the blood sugar front, test before you go in, maybe take in some low GI complex carbs and hopefully that will keep you steady over the two hours. But be prepared to test and have hypo treatment available.

Good luck!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would say that's rather harsh CarbsRock.

Whilst not ideal @Chloesnavy , I think provided you tell them tomorrow, and make it clear you didn't know or you would have declared it last time, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. I would hate to think that was the only reason they have interest in you over other candidates.

Were you to wait until offered the job, then tell them, although they might honour your holiday, it might leave them with a niggle over your integrity, which nobody wants.

Enjoy your day, and I would get telling them out of the way early on in your time with them, so that you can relax and enjoy the experience. Having that in the back of your mind could impair your performance on the day.

Good luck tomorrow, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you. I mean, I was kinda put in an awkward place. I couldn't exactly say no to my boyfriend as I only had an interview and that's it. If I had already been offered the job I 100% would have declined my boyfriends offer. But I didn't as I'm still technically unemployed. It's stressing me out quite a lot tbh as I don't know whether they'll get annoyed. But thank you, I will:)

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sure most employers realise that when recruitment processes are drawn out things like a suprise holiday can crop up - just mention it tomorrow, that since you last answered your bf has booked you a holiday. I'm sure it won't be an issue and its better to up front with these things.

On the blood sugar front, test before you go in, maybe take in some low GI complex carbs and hopefully that will keep you steady over the two hours. But be prepared to test and have hypo treatment available.

Good luck!

This is what I was thinking. Thank you for your advice!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I mean, I was kinda put in an awkward place. I couldn't exactly say no to my boyfriend as I only had an interview and that's it. If I had already been offered the job I 100% would have declined my boyfriends offer. But I didn't as I'm still technically unemployed. It's stressing me out quite a lot tbh as I don't know whether they'll get annoyed. But thank you, I will:)

That's why I say get the telling out of the way. Once that's over you'll be able to be more yourself.

Oh, and were he mine, I'd like that my BF had been good enough to book a holiday, but I'd threaten hom with a Chinese burn should he repeat the timing!

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: catapillar