Joint Pain

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, Happy new year! :)

Has anyone experienced joint pain with their diabetes? My hips in particular are really bad.

I was diagnosed in September, am on Metformin and am 46.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Has anyone experienced joint pain with their diabetes? My hips in particular are really bad.

it might be worth looking up metabolic syndrome
some also think that insulin resistance has inflammatory response to carbs and can even trigger arthritis

Reactions: 11 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't take Metformin myself, but a quick Google search says that joint and muscle pain can be a side-effect of taking this drug, as Catherinecherub says best to see your gp and discuss matters with them.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for posting this- I have fibromyalgia and it has progressively worsened since taking the metformin- a few hours after taking it , I'd get lactic acid build up and I wake in the night with joint and muscle pains- My GP switched me onto the SR this week but I've yet to take it as I'd like to see if I get any improvement in my pain levels first being off it. I have noticed it isn't quite so bad in an evening now so it may be worth asking for change in meds.

bethane

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi i was diagnosed some three years ago but over the last six months the doctors have doubled my metformin i have now been suffering joint pains'

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I am also taking Atorvastatin for cholesterol and I checked the side effects. Apparently joint pain is one of the side effects! I will check with doc though. :rolleyes:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Statins are well known to cause joint pain. Google them. I have hip pain, whether I'm on metformin or not, think my joints are wearing out tho.

isleworth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've certainly suffered much more joint pain since taking Metformin. Glucosamin sulphate is good, although the jury is still out as to whether it affects diabetes (the clue is in the name). Good old-fashioned fish oil might better suit the wary.

goose64

I was on artovastatin & had to stop taking it as it aggravated my arthritis to the point where I couldn't walk. As an aside I've recently started taking omega3 for my cholesterol & as a side effect found my joint pain has near enough cleared up & I found out on an arthritis website that other's had experienced this so may be worth a try .

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I can only speculate so no definitive answer but I did have sore hips and lower back on Metformin and I take no statins.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
some also think that insulin resistance has inflammatory response to carbs and can even trigger arthritis

Very interesting post jack412. I had terrible hip pains and reached a stage where I stopped walking because of them.Went to a doctor ,had xrays, said everything perfect "just like an 18 year old youth" if only..... Another doctor said its Bursitis and gave me some Arcoxia, didnt help much, just gave me oedema... . After some time I thought to myself, what the hell do I have to lose ? I shall try walking on a treadmill at very low speeds and see what happens. To my great surprise things got better, very slowly in the beginning and now I can do 6 Km a day at 5.6 Km/hour , six days a week. The hips pains are still present but only very mildly and NOT when I am on the treadmill.

I follow a very low carb diet, take a mild dosage of statins [ 10 mg Simvastatin ] and most definitely have metabolic syndrome.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very interesting post jack412. I had terrible hip pains and reached a stage where I stopped walking because of them.Went to a doctor ,had xrays, said everything perfect "just like an 18 year old youth" if only..... Another doctor said its Bursitis and gave me some Arcoxia, didnt help much, just gave me oedema... . After some time I thought to myself, what the hell do I have to lose ? I shall try walking on a treadmill at very low speeds and see what happens. To my great surprise things got better, very slowly in the beginning and now I can do 6 Km a day at 5.6 Km/hour , six days a week. The hips pains are still present but only very mildly and NOT when I am on the treadmill.

I follow a very low carb diet, take a mild dosage of statins [ 10 mg Simvastatin ] and most definitely have metabolic syndrome.
I wouldn't rule out the exercise either and give that it's due credit for your mobility, but it's common for people to say their aches and pains settle on low carb. Tests show the inflammatory blood CRP markers are less on low carb

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had terrible joint pain in my hips and right knee before I was diagnosed - it was so bad I could hardly climb up a flight of stairs
Since I've got my blood sugar under control, the pain has completely gone so insulin resistance could be a explanation for me. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Glenn46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I too am 46 and diagnosed in September with Type 2, for which I'm taking Metformin. I have done very well with diet and have lost 3 stones! 2 weeks ago I started to get pain in my right elbow 'feels like I have whacked my funny bone', which goes down to my wrist and I have aching in my hand and some numbness too. It is far worse at night and so far I have just taken pain killers, but need to consult my doctor I guess. I too would welcome any advice and hope you get sorted.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I too am 46 and diagnosed in September with Type 2, for which I'm taking Metformin. I have done very well with diet and have lost 3 stones! 2 weeks ago I started to get pain in my right elbow 'feels like I have whacked my funny bone', which goes down to my wrist and I have aching in my hand and some numbness too. It is far worse at night and so far I have just taken pain killers, but need to consult my doctor I guess. I too would welcome any advice and hope you get sorted.
I'd go see a neurologist it sounds like an ulnar nerve entrapment, watch out for muscle loss and numb little finger

A

AnnieC

Th
That sounds like tennis elbow