Juicing Success for Health & Weight Loss - 45 year Type 1 from Colorado

Scott Norby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Everyone!

I just joined and wanted to say hello to everyone. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

I've had some success in the past couple of years losing weight and reducing my insulin. I wanted to share my story and hope it will benefit some of you.

I'm 51 years old. In the last 3 years, I’ve lost 52 pounds, cut my high blood pressure meds in half, and reduced my insulin intake by 60 percent. I've been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 7 years old.

When I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1972, managing diabetes was far different than it is today. There wasn’t an option to check your own blood sugar and insulin was taken once per day. There was not an easy way to regulate blood sugar levels, and as a result, my diabetes was always out of control. My doctors repeatedly told me that if I couldn’t manage my diabetes better, I would end up with kidney failure, go blind, and more than likely, have my legs amputated. My future was looking rather dismal. I did set goals as a child; I wanted to live to be 10, 13, 16, 18. I never made plans to attend college since I didn’t think I would live that long. Even so, I did the best I could, and when I was in my twenties, I began to move past the fear of dying. However, thoughts of future complications due to my diabetes continued to loom.

In addition to regulating my blood sugar levels, I had ongoing issues with my vision. When I was in my early thirties, I had multiple hemorrhages in both eyes and ended up having laser surgery 8 to 10 different times. The hemorrhaging was causing loss of vision and would eventually lead to blindness. Fortunately, my vision stabilized after each surgery, but annual trips to the optometrist still meant a slight bump in power for my contact lenses and glasses.

In 2014, I decided I needed to make a lifestyle change or I wouldn’t be around much longer for my three children (ages 12 and under) and my wife. I tried several trendy diets and saw progress but nothing substantial.

6bdd2fa835d1b47ee56f4e807d20f1c8.jpg
On March 7th, 2016, I watched “Hungry for Change.” This documentary was an awakening for me. The next day I purchased a juicer and began juicing and eating cleaner, more organic foods. I noticed results immediately. I had much more energy and was happier. My skin and eyesight both became much healthier, and with my last three visits to my optometrist, my vision has actually improved!!

I changed the way I eat and was able to see major benefits to my health, which has been an ongoing challenge because of my diabetes. Many friends and colleagues have noticed my significant weight loss and health improvement, and I have started assisting them on their way to health and happiness. Don't hesitate to reach out if I can help any of you.

I've attached a pdf document with a summary of what has worked well for me.

Thanks!

Scott

Attachments

• Scott Norby - Health & Weight Control Guidelines.pdf
    264.6 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done on your bg control and your weight loss. My youngest son is into juicing and is showing signs of changing body shape (he is 21 and wants to develope higher upper body strength to aid in the rugby he loves). I must admit that I have had a few glasses and they are very tasty even with kale which I loathe.

Scott Norby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on your bg control and your weight loss. My youngest son is into juicing and is showing signs of changing body shape (he is 21 and wants to develope higher upper body strength to aid in the rugby he loves). I must admit that I have had a few glasses and they are very tasty even with kale which I loathe.
Thank you very much!! I'm not a fan of the taste of kale either but when mixed with other veggies and a little fruit I don't notice the taste, but I do feel the results!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hey Everyone!

I just joined and wanted to say hello to everyone. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

I've had some success in the past couple of years losing weight and reducing my insulin. I wanted to share my story and hope it will benefit some of you.

I'm 51 years old. In the last 3 years, I’ve lost 52 pounds, cut my high blood pressure meds in half, and reduced my insulin intake by 60 percent. I've been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 7 years old.

When I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1972, managing diabetes was far different than it is today. There wasn’t an option to check your own blood sugar and insulin was taken once per day. There was not an easy way to regulate blood sugar levels, and as a result, my diabetes was always out of control. My doctors repeatedly told me that if I couldn’t manage my diabetes better, I would end up with kidney failure, go blind, and more than likely, have my legs amputated. My future was looking rather dismal. I did set goals as a child; I wanted to live to be 10, 13, 16, 18. I never made plans to attend college since I didn’t think I would live that long. Even so, I did the best I could, and when I was in my twenties, I began to move past the fear of dying. However, thoughts of future complications due to my diabetes continued to loom.

In addition to regulating my blood sugar levels, I had ongoing issues with my vision. When I was in my early thirties, I had multiple hemorrhages in both eyes and ended up having laser surgery 8 to 10 different times. The hemorrhaging was causing loss of vision and would eventually lead to blindness. Fortunately, my vision stabilized after each surgery, but annual trips to the optometrist still meant a slight bump in power for my contact lenses and glasses.

In 2014, I decided I needed to make a lifestyle change or I wouldn’t be around much longer for my three children (ages 12 and under) and my wife. I tried several trendy diets and saw progress but nothing substantial.

6bdd2fa835d1b47ee56f4e807d20f1c8.jpg
On March 7th, 2016, I watched “Hungry for Change.” This documentary was an awakening for me. The next day I purchased a juicer and began juicing and eating cleaner, more organic foods. I noticed results immediately. I had much more energy and was happier. My skin and eyesight both became much healthier, and with my last three visits to my optometrist, my vision has actually improved!!

I changed the way I eat and was able to see major benefits to my health, which has been an ongoing challenge because of my diabetes. Many friends and colleagues have noticed my significant weight loss and health improvement, and I have started assisting them on their way to health and happiness. Don't hesitate to reach out if I can help any of you.

I've attached a pdf document with a summary of what has worked well for me.

Thanks!

Scott

Why dont you just eat whole vegetables and get the whole nourishment from them with the fibre?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have a cuisinart smoothie /soup machine so that I can gain extra nutrients and fat...

I can only eat tea plate of food so this helps increase my nutrients when needed.

Smoothies and you still get the veg / skin. I can have apinach for my iron in a smoothie but cant eat it in its purest leafy form. So a smoothie / soup maker that also cooks and cleans itself is better for me as I get nutrients from yogurts and coconut milk that can go straight in the smoothie maker without faffing around.

Did you lose weight purely luving on juice, nothing else?

Reactions: Scott Norby

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Very inspiring Scott. You looked at what you can do when it would have been easy to just get by. Your story and actions will help many.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Juicing can be quite hard to manage with carb counting too. As can smoothies as you really do not know how sweet or how much glucose are in the veg/fruit...
How did you guess your carbs for injecting whilst juicing?

What happened to your hba1c whilst juicing?

Scott Norby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a cuisinart smoothie /soup machine so that I can gain extra nutrients and fat...

I can only eat tea plate of food so this helps increase my nutrients when needed.

Smoothies and you still get the veg / skin. I can have apinach for my iron in a smoothie but cant eat it in its purest leafy form. So a smoothie / soup maker that also cooks and cleans itself is better for me as I get nutrients from yogurts and coconut milk that can go straight in the smoothie maker without faffing around.

Did you lose weight purely luving on juice, nothing else?
That's awesome!! It sounds like you're doing really great. I think if everyone focuses on getting the nutrients they need via blending, juicing, eating whole, smooothies, whatever the means, we will see benefits! I should get something to make soup. That sounds really great! I lost my extra weight not only by juicing but by eliminating processed foods and a bit of exercise. There is some great insight in the documentary Hungry for Change. If you haven't seen it you should check it out.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Scott Norby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very inspiring Scott. You looked at what you can do when it would have been easy to just get by. Your story and actions will help many.
Wow, thank you very much!! Thank you for making my day brighter.

Scott Norby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Juicing can be quite hard to manage with carb counting too. As can smoothies as you really do not know how sweet or how much glucose are in the veg/fruit...
How did you guess your carbs for injecting whilst juicing?

What happened to your hba1c whilst juicing?
I pretty much make the same juice all of the time, I may tweak or switch out a couple of ingredients. I am able to take the same amount of Novalog each time I drink a juice and that's worked for me. I did speak with another type 1 that really wanted to juice but it raised his blood sugar levels quite dramatically. I haven't had any issues.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great post @Scott Norby; I'm very happy for you:)

The Mrs is juicing just now so I think I'll jump on the bandwagon once I'm back home from work!

Scott Norby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great post @Scott Norby; I'm very happy for you:)

The Mrs is juicing just now so I think I'll jump on the bandwagon once I'm back home from work!
Thank you, @GrantGam!! Give it a go, brother. Even if I hadn't seen the weight loss I would still be juicing based on energy and vitality it's given me. And I used to never be much of a fan of fruits and veggies. I sure am now. Please keep in touch and let me know how you're coming along with it.

Reactions: GrantGam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, @GrantGam!! Give it a go, brother. Even if I hadn't seen the weight loss I would still be juicing based on energy and vitality it's given me. And I used to never be much of a fan of fruits and veggies. I sure am now. Please keep in touch and let me know how you're coming along with it.
Fully agree, will be good to get a lot of nutrients on board without feeling stuffed. As Jason Vale says, it's an easy way to get loads of goodness on board without eating huge amounts.

I'll be sure to get in back in touch:) Will still be eating a normal diet, but using juicing as a means to incorporate more fruit and veg easily.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum and well done on your successful juicing, your story is inspirational.

I watched "Fat, sick and nearly dead" and bought a juicer which her indoors immediately consigned to the "lean to" because it took up too much counter space. Seems all the other junk like kettle, toaster, bread bin, slow cooker . . . . . are OK.

I'm currently dabbling with a very low calorie diet (Newcastle Diet ish) which is entirely vegetable based with some fruit, being type II some veg eg carrots and beet, can be a slight problem with BG so avoided. Methinks the juicer might be retrieved although I do have a Nutribullet and I see from several articles that there's a good old debate going on about pure juicing vs blender/nutrition extractor.