Just been diagnosed today and I'm shocked and worried

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting good food in a diabetic diet is hard enough without being vegi as well. Read and watch video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

All you need to do is reduce wheat flour from your diet, that single thing will make a big change

Jack - I'm not a veggie, so can't comment on that angle, but to be honest, finding good food for this particular diabetic (i.e., me) hasn't been too tricky at all, and as I move forward it gets easier, not more difficult.

Whilst it may be your clipped antipodean style of communication, I do feel your posts can be bold to the edge of questionable. Thankfully they aren't often directed at me.

< grump off / >

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack - I'm not a veggie, so can't comment on that angle, but to be honest, finding good food for this particular diabetic (i.e., me) hasn't been too tricky at all, and as I move forward it gets easier, not more difficult.

Whilst it may be your clipped antipodean style of communication, I do feel your posts can be bold to the edge of questionable. Thankfully they aren't often directed at me.

< grump off / >
Thank you, perhaps it's best if you think this is bold to the point of questionable.
There is an ignore function on the forum that may be of use.

Most would agree LC vegi is harder without animal proteins and fats. From my link
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetarian/tp/Low-Carb-Vegetarian-Protein-Foods.htm

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, perhaps it's best if you think this is bold to the point of questionable.
There is an ignore function on the forum that may be of use.

Most would agree LC vegi is harder without animal proteins and fats. From my link
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegetarian/tp/Low-Carb-Vegetarian-Protein-Foods.htm

To quote your original post again, : " Getting good food in a diabetic diet is hard enough without being vegi as well........... "

I am highlighting what I have found to be untrue, personally. I can't comment on the veggie angle, not being one.

@Nicel - Apologies for bickering with Jack. I'm sure it's not helpful to you.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps you should investigate a low carb vegi diet without animal protein and fats, before you suggest that it is easy.
One only has to look on today's posts to see people who are having difficulty getting good food into their diabetic diet including animal product

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the nhs eat well plate and I will throw it away. I have a good understanding of food already so changing my diet shouldn't be too difficult. I'm trying for a baby and will just cross that bridge if I get pregnant. I will be buying a meter thanks for the advice on which one. I'm feeling lots better today and more positive and I'll do what I have to do to not get any worse and end up with full type 2. Thanks again lovely people

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you should investigate a low carb vegi diet without animal protein and fats, before you suggest that it is easy.
One only has to look on today's posts to see people who are having difficulty getting good food into their diabetic diet including animal product

I'll rephrase my original post then:

"Personally, I haven't found finding a decent diabetic friendly diet to be difficult, but I'm not veggie."

That's my last post on it.

@Nicel - Again, I apologise. I hope you find a way forward that creates a comfortable way of eating for you.

There are a good number of veggies contributing to this forum, and there are a number of threads posting recipes, including those suitable for vegetarians. I think @Avocado Sevenfold has raised her head as a veggie, and an active participant in the forum. @Avocado Sevenfold 's meals (as posted on the "What have you eaten today?" thread) always look interesting, and the feedback I have noticed suggests they are also delicious. A search on the forum should throw up lots of relevant reading matter for you. It is all a bit of a puzzle at first though.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Instead of apologising why don't you message me ?
I'm happy with the content of my post that even without limitation a lot of people find it hard, it's even harder as a vegi without animal product

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@jack412, I found your post a bit off tbh. It came directly after my post in which I said that I found the low carb vegetarian way of eating doable and effective for good bg control. I was talking from personal experience and was trying to be positive to help the worried OP . Your post directly after made it look like I was talking rubbish. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

@AndBreathe :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@avocardo it wasn't in response to your post...I'm typing with one finger on a phone with old eyes, so I often miss a lot. I was quoting OP, I later posted this that you may have missed and I can't recall if your post before mine prompted it, but more than likely did

seaspray1998

What no one and nowhere do I see about those who are struggling to actually afford food, let alone healthy food, when yr on a very limited budget.

It's an enormous constant struggle (and find it very stressful) and although I've managed to lose about 3 stone, this is only after a very long time.

And any so called help has been to say the least, thin on the ground and less then useless.

They just dont understand that my weight is a complex issue, and it's got nothing to do with me being stupid and a cuecumber never passes my lips!

It's just all so incredibly frustrating!

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi seaspray. I can understand your frustration with budget and food as I went on a healthy eating plan in January and changed my diet to be natural and nutritious and my food bill for me and my husband went up from 50 a week to 80 a week. It's a shame trying to live a healthy life cost so much. Hope you work something out

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi seaspray. I can understand your frustration with budget and food as I went on a healthy eating plan in January and changed my diet to be natural and nutritious and my food bill for me and my husband went up from 50 a week to 80 a week. It's a shame trying to live a healthy life cost so much. Hope you work something out
I know! The "official" word is that eating healthier doesn't have to cost more...but who are these people? Because I can confidently say that my shopping budget went up after diagnosis!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only found my shopping budget went up a bit, in the first couple of weeks, whilst we modified our diet.

We only ate one preprepared meal a week - a curry on Saturdays, but as well as that, our alcohol consumption (a glass of red with dinner, and maybe a G&T on a Saturday or Sunday) decreased. I never snacked, but my OH gave up his mid morning Hobnob, and chocolate for a while. In the early weeks, we ate out less whilst we got the diet act together, so overall, our food spend actually reduced.

@Loobles - Have you factored in any ad hoc spending on snacks or the like that you might be doing less of now, or that you may have been stocking up on different store cupboard staples, which will last a while?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I only found my shopping budget went up a bit, in the first couple of weeks, whilst we modified our diet.

We only ate one preprepared meal a week - a curry on Saturdays, but as well as that, our alcohol consumption (a glass of red with dinner, and maybe a G&T on a Saturday or Sunday) decreased. I never snacked, but my OH gave up his mid morning Hobnob, and chocolate for a while. In the early weeks, we ate out less whilst we got the diet act together, so overall, our food spend actually reduced.

@Loobles - Have you factored in any ad hoc spending on snacks or the like that you might be doing less of now, or that you may have been stocking up on different store cupboard staples, which will last a while?
I guess we're spending less money on restaurants and eating out - that would have been a different budget. Trouble now is that I'm buying more cheese and dairy, which I wasn't really into before and that seems to have bumped up the price a bit. And I'm also eating more meat, which is proving to be more costly. Previously I woud have eaten much more carbs, which tend to be pretty cheap and convenient.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess we're spending less money on restaurants and eating out - that would have been a different budget. Trouble now is that I'm buying more cheese and dairy, which I wasn't really into before and that seems to have bumped up the price a bit. And I'm also eating more meat, which is proving to be more costly. Previously I woud have eaten much more carbs, which tend to be pretty cheap and convenient.

But what is the impact of your overall food spend , including that which might be under "Entertainment" in the ledger? Unless you take that into account, it's a bit apples and pears.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
But what is the impact of your overall food spend , including that which might be under "Entertainment" in the ledger? Unless you take that into account, it's a bit apples and pears.
Having done a quick calc, I'd say we're spending about £10 a week more than we were. Not much I suppose, but it's about £40 a month. I think in time I'll find my groove and maybe move away from the cheese a bit LOL

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having done a quick calc, I'd say we're spending about £10 a week more than we were. Not much I suppose, but it's about £40 a month. I think in time I'll find my groove and maybe move away from the cheese a bit LOL

I'm astonished by that, but have no reason to doubt what you say. Maybe I'll be a little less forthright in my budgetary statement in future.

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmm love cheese. I'm eating a lot of almonds and things like that and they ain't cheap !!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forgot about the nuts!

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
What no one and nowhere do I see about those who are struggling to actually afford food, let alone healthy food, when yr on a very limited budget.

It's an enormous constant struggle (and find it very stressful) and although I've managed to lose about 3 stone, this is only after a very long time.

And any so called help has been to say the least, thin on the ground and less then useless.

They just dont understand that my weight is a complex issue, and it's got nothing to do with me being stupid and a cuecumber never passes my lips!

It's just all so incredibly frustrating!

I can understand that as well Seaspray, I've been looking for a job for over 5 years and trying to afford decent low carb food on Jobseekers Allowance ( just over £70 a week) is a nightmare. Luckily my student son still lives at home and pays me nominal rent so I can use that to stock up on low-carb essentials (frozen cauliflower, courgettes, berries etc.) If I didn't have this, I'd be forced to exist on supermarket "economy" ranges.