Just been started on Metformin

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5:2 = 5 days eating normally, 2 days of 500 cals women, 600 men - see even diets are sexist! (per week)
16:8= 16 hours a day not eating, 8 hour eating window (per day)

Sounds drastic if not eating for 16 hrs!

How would you deal with hypoglycaemia?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I found helpful in the meantime was to avoid all scented soap, shower gels etc and switch to Aqueous Cream. It is an emolient that you can get over the counter at the chemist.
I used Aqueous cream as a moisturiser for years, until I heard that it can cause thinning of the skin! Here is an extract from the Gov.UK report:
"An audit of 100 children attending a paediatric dermatology clinic reported that aqueous cream emollient was associated with an immediate skin reaction (stinging, burning, itching, and redness) within 20 minutes in 56% of exposures, compared with 18% with other emollients used1. Furthermore, several studies reported alterations in skin physiology (thinning of the outermost layer of the skin and increased skin water loss) following application of aqueous cream as an emollient in adults, both with and without eczema 23. A summary of all the evidence reviewed is available in our public assessment report."
The following article from the Daily Mail points out that Aqueous cream actually contains detergent because it is intended to be used for washing rather than left on the skin as a moisturiser.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1254715/Eczema-cream-making-skin-worse.html
My GP gave me ZeroAqs cream as a replacement. I also use E45. Perhaps my favourite is Aveeno, but that is more expensive.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I used Aqueous cream as a moisturiser for years, until I heard that it can cause thinning of the skin! Here is an extract from the Gov.UK report:
"An audit of 100 children attending a paediatric dermatology clinic reported that aqueous cream emollient was associated with an immediate skin reaction (stinging, burning, itching, and redness) within 20 minutes in 56% of exposures, compared with 18% with other emollients used1. Furthermore, several studies reported alterations in skin physiology (thinning of the outermost layer of the skin and increased skin water loss) following application of aqueous cream as an emollient in adults, both with and without eczema 23. A summary of all the evidence reviewed is available in our public assessment report."
The following article from the Daily Mail points out that Aqueous cream actually contains detergent because it is intended to be used for washing rather than left on the skin as a moisturiser.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1254715/Eczema-cream-making-skin-worse.html
My GP gave me ZeroAqs cream as a replacement. I also use E45. Perhaps my favourite is Aveeno, but that is more expensive.

Interesting stuff. I have not suffered such effects but then I have never used Aqueous Cream long term because I prefer a mildly scented moisturiser. I have used it and will continue to use it as a barrier against fungal infections and occasionally as an emolient to clear my skin of the highly scented chemicals in most shampoos. I was aware of one chemical (cannot remember the name) in Aqueous that some people report has a detrimental effect but like I say, I have had no problems.

As to my moisturiser of choice, I agree Aveeno suits me though I buy it and stock up only when it is on offer, however, being scented, I have found that long term (and this long term can be as little as one month of daily use) does have a detrimental effect on my skin. I suppose it comes down to personal use and experience.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting stuff. I have not suffered such effects but then I have never used Aqueous Cream long term because I prefer a mildly scented moisturiser. I have used it and will continue to use it as a barrier against fungal infections and occasionally as an emolient to clear my skin of the highly scented chemicals in most shampoos. I was aware of one chemical (cannot remember the name) in Aqueous that some people report has a detrimental effect but like I say, I have had no problems.

As to my moisturiser of choice, I agree Aveeno suits me though I buy it and stock up only when it is on offer, however, being scented, I have found that long term (and this long term can be as little as one month of daily use) does have a detrimental effect on my skin. I suppose it comes down to personal use and experience.
I am actually not personally aware of any bad effect /skin thinning due to years of daily Aqueous cream use, but a doctor did once comment that my skin was very thin, so when I heard about the problems with Aqueous cream it really freaked me out. It's always horrid to find that making an effort to do the best for one's body was in fact doing harm - as with eating all that healthy fruit and grains!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds drastic if not eating for 16 hrs!

How would you deal with hypoglycaemia?
Not too drastic - most people doing 16:8 would fast from dinner one day to lunch the next day so quite a lot of the fasting period would be as normal when asleep with only 1 meal skipped.
Hypos would definately be a consideration for anyone on insulin or sulfonylureas such as Gliclizide which can also induce hypos - fasting for people taking either type of medication may not be advisable and would need close monitoring of blood sugars if attempted

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am actually not personally aware of any bad effect /skin thinning due to years of daily Aqueous cream use, but a doctor did once comment that my skin was very thin, so when I heard about the problems with Aqueous cream it really freaked me out. It's always horrid to find that making an effort to do the best for one's body was in fact doing harm - as with eating all that healthy fruit and grains!

Re creams, shampoos, detergents etc my take on it now (and I have absolutely no proof of this) is that apart from topical medicine prescribed for the short term e.g corticosteroid applications, I have learned to switch anything I deliberately put on my skin regularly. I switch between Aqueous, Nivea and Aveeno at intervals and the same goes for detergents. My 'logic' in this is that these things have all got chemicals in them that build up on the skin and this build up can lead to problems, by switching it means a lessening of a particular chemical build up. I know, not very scientifically sound but it works for me.

Totally agree on dietary advice from HCPs/Food manufacturers etc btw.