Just diagnosed and feeling depressed

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jgmun,

Cheese is fine, sauces (if not used in excess) shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, the bun would have to go.

Lidl sells a protein roll, which isn't too bad, that you could use instead of a bun. It has about 10g of carbs per 100g. It contains a lot of seeds, so it might or might not work for you as a hamburger bun.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
granola has 64carbs per 100g. beans 1/2 tin is 23. just google carbs in and it will normally tell you, im on around 40 carbs a day so not for me. but its your body and if thats what you like eat it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that granola, the low sugar beans, the peanut butter, the almonds - possibly the quorn sausage - all will have carbs.
It will be shown on the packaging - no need to deduct the fibre as in the US, we do net carbs here.
Try out some tasty foods the low carb way and it should get a lot easier to cope with fewer carbs and your blood glucose should drop too.

Yes, I overlooked this -- peanut butter is also not a good idea especially if it has added sugars as most commercial products do. I have ordered a special peanut butter (for body builders), which only has 7g of carbs per 100g, but I don't have large portions of it.

Personally for me, almonds are fine, as they only have 5g of carbs per 100g. They don't really seem to affect my blood sugar levels.

jgmun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I overlooked this -- peanut butter is also not a good idea especially if it has added sugars as most commercial products do. I have ordered a special peanut butter (for body builders), which only has 7g of carbs per 100g, but I don't have large portions of it.

Personally for me, almonds are fine, as they only have 5g of carbs per 100g. They don't really seem to affect my blood sugar levels.
gosh - so much too learn

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
quorn sausages are 12carbs for 2. maybe better to eat some good quality normal ones unless your a vegetarian then its manageable.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh i didn't realise r granola - will bin it - and yes am avoiding burgers etc at moment - Its the bun and sauces and cheese i like with them !

I just thought of something -- if you really like granola, you could make your own using crushed nuts (almonds, pecans, brazils, walnuts, hazelnuts) and some seeds (chia, sesame, pumpkin) and mix them with unsweetened cococut flakes and use unsweetened almond milk instead of real milk.

Edited to add: I use xylitol as sweetener (which I think tastes almost like real sugar, but can cause gastrointestinal problems in large doses. It is dangerous to dogs as their system treats it as real sugar, subsequently producing too much insulin and dropping their sugar levels too low.) So, if you have a dog, I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
eanut butter is 20-22 per 100 depending on type.

jgmun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just thought of something -- if you really like granola, you could make your own using crushed nuts (almonds, pecans, brazils, walnuts, hazelnuts) and some seeds (chia, sesame, pumpkin) and mix them with unsweetened cococut flakes and use unsweetened almond milk instead of real milk.
Thank you

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gosh - so much too learn

Sorry @jgmun for overwhelming you with advice. Take your time to absorb everything, take a look around when you are ready for it.

Rome wasn't build in a day. We all have spent so much time with high blood sugar levels -- we surely can take a little bit of more time to try to figure out what works for us.

Edited for spelling and clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg1957

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As @ziggy_w says, take your time @jgmun, step by step if that helps you. Lots and lots of really helpful advice throughout the forum and website - the members here are so encouraging and it's certainly helped me (diagnosed 3 months ago). One of the best sites for recipes and info is www.dietdoctor.com - try not to take it all in at once, just have a browse. Oh, and if you like coffee, you can have cream instead of milk. Luxury! Wishing you all the best.

jgmun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As @ziggy_w says, take your time @jgmun, step by step if that helps you. Lots and lots of really helpful advice throughout the forum and website - the members here are so encouraging and it's certainly helped me (diagnosed 3 months ago). One of the best sites for recipes and info is www.dietdoctor.com - try not to take it all in at once, just have a browse. Oh, and if you like coffee, you can have cream instead of milk. Luxury! Wishing you all the best.
Oh cheers Sue, i'm finding this support great. I do love coffee and fortunately take it black :) thanks for your kind words. James

Reactions: ziggy_w

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Oh cheers Sue, i'm finding this support great. I do love coffee and fortunately take it black :) thanks for your kind words. James

Make going low carb fun and not a chore, use butter and double cream to make it more appetising and filling, I am currently sweating romaine lettuce, peeled courgettes, sliced red pepper and asparagus in butter and a Little cider vinegar with cracked black pepper and a small pinch of salt, five minutes from the end I will add a little double cream, having this with chicken thighs baked in an air oven with garlic and paprika mixed in some olive oil and basted over the top, looks great, tastes great and will fill me up until morning.

Eating good food will certainly help depression. And is full of essential minerals vitamins and enzymes. Win win lol
2eecee6a51d41cbdc2fdd641eaa3ac7f.jpg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh i didn't realise r granola - will bin it - and yes am avoiding burgers etc at moment - Its the bun and sauces and cheese i like with them !
You mention binning your granola. I found out I have a problem with diabetes in August and you should just see the number of cartons and boxes of X-rated high carb food still cluttering my house. All to be sorted - to bin, food bank, friends, compost heap ... Sadly, I am the kind of thrifty person who knows what they like and buys stocks in whenever they are on offer. Big mistake! And of course it's always our favourite foods that are off the menu - in my case fruit. However, to my great surprise, having been reduced to eating those despised vegetables, now there's not much else I have somehow found a taste for them and I'm really enjoying these very different meals. I do think reducing carbs has improved my sense of taste. Plus, it's not hard to enjoy tea and coffee with double cream, omelettes cooked with butter, butter on my fish, mayonnaise on my lettuce - all off the menu in my previous low fat high carb life. You will find lots of recipe suggestions if you dig around a bit on this forum. Indeed you hardly have to dig, perhaps we are even a little obsessed with food, we talk about it all the time!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gosh - so much too learn

Welcome! When I was diagnosed I found this to be the best source for information on low-carb food: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb.

It was very confusing for me at first. In particular, I did not know that certain really common foods are high in carbohydrates (anything grain-based including bread, cereal and beer; fruit; pasta; rice; milk; potatos; the list is long).

It does get easier over time.

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess this is common, I am prone to depression and this type 2 diagnosis has hit me quite hard - Any others have the same experience ?
I'm prone to depression and anxiety too. I presume anxiety may come into play for you as they often go hand in hand.
I reframed my thinking re diabetes when diagnosed. Looked at the positives. I know now. I have the opportunity to control it. Rather than it control me which in turn means I may avoid the long term health complications.
I also thought right....... Time for lifestyle changes and push my exercise harder and make those changes I always wanted to my diet.

I know all of that's harder to do than say. I just wanted to offer you my experience of it.
I hope it helps.

Keep fighting the fight!!!!!!!!!

Sminkypinky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the group! I too suffer from depression and am newly diagnosed T2D and now on meds for both. I started going to the gym a few months back before my T2D diagnosis as a way of improving my mental health. It is helping and will now also be good for my diabetes. I view my gym fee as my prescription charge. I've also invested in a SAD light which I am finding beneficial. I'm focusing on my depression right now as it seems that will support my diabetes - carb cravings and days in bed are not good for blood sugars! Take it a day at a time - this is a journey, not a race and there is so much to learn. Take care.

john1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i was first dianosed with type 2 i got depressed at first but no more once i got used to it. Good luck