Just diagnosed and feeling depressed

jgmun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm prone to depression and anxiety too. I presume anxiety may come into play for you as they often go hand in hand.
I reframed my thinking re diabetes when diagnosed. Looked at the positives. I know now. I have the opportunity to control it. Rather than it control me which in turn means I may avoid the long term health complications.
I also thought right....... Time for lifestyle changes and push my exercise harder and make those changes I always wanted to my diet.

I know all of that's harder to do than say. I just wanted to offer you my experience of it.
I hope it helps.

Keep fighting the fight!!!!!!!!!
Thank you - I am doing ok I think - Today anyhow.

Reactions: Bigbassett_

jgmun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome to the group! I too suffer from depression and am newly diagnosed T2D and now on meds for both. I started going to the gym a few months back before my T2D diagnosis as a way of improving my mental health. It is helping and will now also be good for my diabetes. I view my gym fee as my prescription charge. I've also invested in a SAD light which I am finding beneficial. I'm focusing on my depression right now as it seems that will support my diabetes - carb cravings and days in bed are not good for blood sugars! Take it a day at a time - this is a journey, not a race and there is so much to learn. Take care.
Thanks for that and the amusing fast show tag.

Reactions: Sminkypinky_

SusieWillow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ziggy, Thanks - It's been ok so far, but could murder a hamburger lol - I have been eating granola for breakfast, ham and sad at lunch and quorn sausage and low sugar beans at night, with a small amount of these and peanut butter and almonds

I don't have a monitor as my d. nurse said it might concern me while i get stable - I am however being monitored weekly for now

Hi Ziggy,

That advice sounds wrong. When I was diagnosed in Sweden they gave me a blood monitor and made me test five times a day, so I could see the changes and also so I could learn what the different foods do to my body..each having a different effect. I was diagnosed at 18 (old numbers) and watched that come down. I was very depressed and upset. But I soon realised I was very lucky because I’ve been given an opportunity to change my life and eating. I have had Diabetes about twelve years if you count from diagnosis. Like you, I recon I had it far longer. I had a lot of burning feet and stabbing in my toes etc.

The fact is..when I was diagnosed, I was told that I would be checked every three to six months completely. No one in society without an illness gets watched and looked after. They often just get sick first then go to the doctor but we get monitored. So if anything does go wrong, its found very fast.

I look after myself now better than I ever did before. I was 87 kilo’s
I am now 67. I also do low carb and do fasting...but fasting isn’t something to do right at the beginning of diagnosis. Dr Jason Fung
Is very good regarding Diabetic illness and fasting and low carb.
Look him up on internet when you get stable. He has dealt with a lot of Diabetics. To begin with it will be depressing...but he is very optimistic in the long term. His videos keep me strong.

May I be so bold as to say the things you are eating are still not right. Baked beans are carbs..granola is a definite no. Its covered in sugar. Peanut butter is ok and so is almonds but Quorn is very unhealthy ...not made of mushrooms made of mould.

Eat meat or fish or chicken lots of veg. Not potatoes...not pasta...no grains. Berries and very good if you want a dessert..fresh only with greek yoghurt.. if you are desperate for a sweetener..use Stevia. These are all the things I do. However..
Be careful. If you are vegetarian, you can eat cheeses, or soya.
Soya isnt that healthy either, but you need a substitute for Quorn and its better than Quorn.

I know this sounds weird, but I feel better and in more control now than I have in years and years. Try to go for walks every day if you can. Most of all, look on it as a new start and learn about low carb foods. Beans are protein but also carbs. Eat then in moderation and go back to the old fashioned way of eating. Make your own meal..don’t buy packets and don’t buy diabetic foods or drink diet drinks like diet cokes etc. Your pains will get worse in feet legs and everywhere...neuropathy pains get worse from the sweeteners. Thats nerve damage.

You will go from strength to strength if you follow these guidelines and this website is absolutely excellent when you need a good friend. When you need good strong information...and when you need support. So don’t be scared. What looks negative can sometimes work in the opposite direction. Get a blood monitor and test yourself or insist they give you one. They are cheap. You can buy in the chemist. Unfortunately the sticks are not cheap...thats why they don’t want to give you them. I would really insist, so you can learn what foods are bad for blood sugar spikes and what are better. Learn about GI foods but eat the lower carb version. Leave out the bread and grains.

I’m a British woman living in Sweden most of the time. Here they still believe in testing.

Don’t give up! You can be far better you if you just fight and empower yourself..it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom.

All the absolute best to you. Stay calm and learn.

XX

Last edited: