Just diagnosed type 1 at 41!!

Nico76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. After being told in a Feb I was type 2 I have just been informed I am actually type 1 after just getting my head around being type 2 and how to manage it I am now having to deal with things a bit differently. At the diabetic clinic on Monday to find out what's what but any information would be helpful.
Just a bit of background....had bad thirst...toilet all the time and losing 2 stone since Dec I figured something was wrong and had blood tests early Feb. Levels were off the scale Hba1c of 133 and Bg of 31. Prescribed metformin immediately but couldn't get in to see my GP until nearly 3 weeks after diagnosis (it was the hospital that diagnosed with a telephone call at 1am telling me to get down there sharpish after my blood results! )..anyway GP thought it was type 1 and had more tests done. So here I am 41 and type 1. My head is puddled any help would be appreciated

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone. After being told in a Feb I was type 2 I have just been informed I am actually type 1 after just getting my head around being type 2 and how to manage it I am now having to deal with things a bit differently. At the diabetic clinic on Monday to find out what's what but any information would be helpful.
Just a bit of background....had bad thirst...toilet all the time and losing 2 stone since Dec I figured something was wrong and had blood tests early Feb. Levels were off the scale Hba1c of 133 and Bg of 31. Prescribed metformin immediately but couldn't get in to see my GP until nearly 3 weeks after diagnosis (it was the hospital that diagnosed with a telephone call at 1am telling me to get down there sharpish after my blood results! )..anyway GP thought it was type 1 and had more tests done. So here I am 41 and type 1. My head is puddled any help would be appreciated

Welcome @Nico76 :)

I'm glad you've now got the right diagnosis :) Let me tag @Juicyj and @urbanracer who got diagnosed as adults like yourself. There are lots of other people too.

My advice is to get the book Think Like A Pancreas (because that's what you have to do) and to push hard to be shown how to carb count and adjust your meal time insulin. That's cruucial for control.

Test lots, keep hypo treatments near, and know that it does get easier :) A Type 1 diagnosis is a massive shock at any age, so be kind to yourself, take it slowly, and learn as much as you can. Knowledge is power :)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi Nico
It may seem a huge shock but please take splice in you are not alone on this. Lots to learn but you will get there. I was diagnosed at the age of 34, it was a big shock but it's all do-able don't worry
Www.type1bri.com

Reactions: Leannie and Nico76

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Nico76 your story is scarily similar to mine except I broke the meter at over 33.3 :-( and the consultant bypassed metformin....You are in the right place for advice and support. I was diagnosed last year (27th October, that date sticks in my head for some reason) and I know I have put my emotions on my sleeve on here. It's something I'm sure you will go through too, it's perfectly normal (why me ? Etc.)...All I can add is you can ask anything here no matter how stupid you think it is and the guys here are more than happy to assist. It's a long journey ahead, the more you know the easier it will be...

Reactions: Nico76 and azure

Nico76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. This forum is great for info and advice but I feel like my head is going to explode with information overload!!! this whole thing is quite overwhelming to be honest. I'll be honest..I've cried but hopefully I will feel much better after my appointment and being more informed. Thanks again. It's good to know support is out there

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nico and welcome. I was diagnosed at 50. Like you shock but figured I was LADA with all my weight loss. Took docs forever to figure it out and start me on insulin.
After my levels stabilized ( I was 550 US at DX) I felt so much better. Initially I hated the thought of insulin but now I'd fight anyone who tried to take it away.

I'm not going to lie, there is trial and error but you will figure it out. Be patient with yourself and cry and rant away. Nothing any of us haven't done. I still do. I just blame hormones. Then I'm free to do whatever I want. Lol.
Or on the flip side if I buy something frivolously expensive I tell my hubby insulin made me do it. Hadn't ever told me to take it back!!! There are bonuses, you just have to find them!!

Nico76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nico and welcome. I was diagnosed at 50. Like you shock but figured I was LADA with all my weight loss. Took docs forever to figure it out and start me on insulin.
After my levels stabilized ( I was 550 US at DX) I felt so much better. Initially I hated the thought of insulin but now I'd fight anyone who tried to take it away.

I'm not going to lie, there is trial and error but you will figure it out. Be patient with yourself and cry and rant away. Nothing any of us haven't done. I still do. I just blame hormones. Then I'm free to do whatever I want. Lol.
Or on the flip side if I buy something frivolously expensive I tell my hubby insulin made me do it. Hadn't ever told me to take it back!!! There are bonuses, you just have to find them!!
I have had my eye on a new handbag thanks for the advice.

Nico76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Nico76 your story is scarily similar to mine except I broke the meter at over 33.3 :-( and the consultant bypassed metformin....You are in the right place for advice and support. I was diagnosed last year (27th October, that date sticks in my head for some reason) and I know I have put my emotions on my sleeve on here. It's something I'm sure you will go through too, it's perfectly normal (why me ? Etc.)...All I can add is you can ask anything here no matter how stupid you think it is and the guys here are more than happy to assist. It's a long journey ahead, the more you know the easier it will be...
Thank you

Nico76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Nico76 :)

I'm glad you've now got the right diagnosis :) Let me tag @Juicyj and @urbanracer who got diagnosed as adults like yourself. There are lots of other people too.

My advice is to get the book Think Like A Pancreas (because that's what you have to do) and to push hard to be shown how to carb count and adjust your meal time insulin. That's cruucial for control.

Test lots, keep hypo treatments near, and know that it does get easier :) A Type 1 diagnosis is a massive shock at any age, so be kind to yourself, take it slowly, and learn as much as you can. Knowledge is power :)
Thank you

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. This forum is great for info and advice but I feel like my head is going to explode with information overload!!! this whole thing is quite overwhelming to be honest. I'll be honest..I've cried but hopefully I will feel much better after my appointment and being more informed. Thanks again. It's good to know support is out there

It gets easier...but it's tough, no point denying it....

Ha...again uncanny.......I did exactly that....I bought a new car...Other half wasn't too impressed though ....so it works for blokes too....

Last edited:
Reactions: Energize

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha...again uncanny.......I did exactly that....I bought a new car...Other half wasn't too impressed though
Haha !!! And I just realized it's my 3 year diversity!!! Handbag it is !!

As far as a car, 3 years ago I drove a convertible and I was so weak and sick I could barely get in and out. Then diagnosed and put on insulin. As a treat for being alive and healthy 3 months later I traded my convertible for a Lexus SUV. Coincidently my lease was running out right before I received a monetary settlement for malpractice 1 month ago. Guess what I'm driving now? A new Lexus suv!!! My hubby encouraged me!!!

No amount of money makes up for their negligence and almost letting me die but it sure was nice to win. No attorney either! No idea how I did that. They need to be held responsible.

Well first year diaversary I didn't know if I should cry or celebrate. A nice pair of strappy sandals helped that. Second year a beautiful handbag. This year? Not sure. Gotta get my shop on!!!

Nico76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha !!! And I just realized it's my 3 year diversity!!! Handbag it is !!

As far as a car, 3 years ago I drove a convertible and I was so weak and sick I could barely get in and out. Then diagnosed and put on insulin. As a treat for being alive and healthy 3 months later I traded my convertible for a Lexus SUV. Coincidently my lease was running out right before I received a monetary settlement for malpractice 1 month ago. Guess what I'm driving now? A new Lexus suv!!! My hubby encouraged me!!!

No amount of money makes up for their negligence and almost letting me die but it sure was nice to win. No attorney either! No idea how I did that. They need to be held responsible.

Well first year diaversary I didn't know if I should cry or celebrate. A nice pair of strappy sandals helped that. Second year a beautiful handbag. This year? Not sure. Gotta get my shop on!!!
Yes!! You go girl!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My head is puddled

That's a wonderful phrase! I can see medical papers in a few years time saying, "On presentation, the patient displayed classic signs of puddled head."

Let me tell you about my experience of it to see if it helps "unpuddle" you.

You'll go through a riot of emotions over the next few months. That's natural, but you eventually unwind it, and it just becomes a practical, pragmatic case of realising you need to figure out this much insulin for this meal, and carrying sweets around with you.

You're going to resent it, thinking why me, my life's over, but I've come to terms with the fact that a bit of my body isn't working, so I need to help it out. I don't hate it: I co-operate with it. Think of it like a small child. Sure, they can be unpredictable, react differently on different occasions to the same thing, throw hissy fits for no apparent reason, but it's your child, so look after it. I take pleasure in a small way out of looking at my cgm traces running smooth for three or four days in a row, before the occasional tantrum where it's all over the place.

I turned up at hospital very ill, only to be sent home, being told I just had a touch of "exam stress" by a spotty kid straight out of med school, and was then taken back next day unconscious, full-on DKA, with my folks being told it's 50/50. The spotty kid was man enough to come up and apologise, although it was maybe something to do with the senior consultant having, apparently, barked him out to an inch of his life for turning away the most obvious ever case of T1. One of the doctors thanked me later for displaying some Kussmaul breathing, because she'd only ever read about it in books!

In some ways, after being so hellishly ill, it was actually a relief to be told it was just treatable T1 and I wasn't going to die.

And then, sure, the shock kicks in - life long injections! But it turned out the needles weren't that big.

I lived in a small village at the time. I still remember the sheer number of people who came up to ask how I was doing, and cared.

There was a lot of messy, unexpected hypos. You'll have those to look forward to, there ain't no way of getting round that. Bad hypos are like drowning, but you'll always surface. Keep lots of sugar very nearby, in pockets, beside your bed. Going to the kitchen when you're under isn't viable: keep the lucozade etc. very close. Docs understate the severity of hypos, mainly because they've only read about them in books. They're not painful, it's more the confusion of thought. If you can afford a cgm, go for that: they are a god-send in seeing hypos coming and stopping them before they happen. Priceless.

That last paragraph makes it sound bleak. But, while you'll definitely have a few bad hypos, it's really not that bad. Before dx, I went ski-ing, cycling, sailing, running a lot. I thought for a short time I was disabled in some way. Guess what? After a short time getting used to the rules, I just carried on ski-ing etc. Hasn't held me back in any way at all. I've had a moderately successful career in a stressful line of business. I've been away backpacking for 4 and 6 months. I go to the pub and have a few beers. Hell, I even have a sweet dessert after a meal! All I need to do is plan ahead a bit and carry sweeties around with me!

You've joined the club at an exciting time (although I know you weren't really consulted about membership!). There's lots happening on the cgm front, docs are figuring out how to wrap islets in seaweed alginates, there's HDV which taxis insulin direct to the liver, and someone has had a go at smart insulin which switches on and off in response to glucose.

If you want some inspiration, google Eva Saxl. She and her husband made her own insulin from water buffalo pancreases during a war and saved several hundred other people to boot. Sure, it's a frustrating condition, but none of us can complain when Eva was as gutsy as that.

Honestly, it's a hassle, but you'll be fine.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I was diagnosed at age 60. I assume you will be started on what's called the Basal/Bolus insulin regime with two insulins. Don't worry about the insulin. It sounds scary but you soon get used to it and the routine of injecting. You do need to take care when driving. It's essential to tell the DVLA and your insurer. You need to test shortly before driving and every two hours during a drive. I have a test meter in the house and one in the car with glucose tablets etc

Reactions: Nico76 and minx27

Nico76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a wonderful phrase! I can see medical papers in a few years time saying, "On presentation, the patient displayed classic signs of puddled head."

Let me tell you about my experience of it to see if it helps "unpuddle" you.

You'll go through a riot of emotions over the next few months. That's natural, but you eventually unwind it, and it just becomes a practical, pragmatic case of realising you need to figure out this much insulin for this meal, and carrying sweets around with you.

You're going to resent it, thinking why me, my life's over, but I've come to terms with the fact that a bit of my body isn't working, so I need to help it out. I don't hate it: I co-operate with it. Think of it like a small child. Sure, they can be unpredictable, react differently on different occasions to the same thing, throw hissy fits for no apparent reason, but it's your child, so look after it. I take pleasure in a small way out of looking at my cgm traces running smooth for three or four days in a row, before the occasional tantrum where it's all over the place.

I turned up at hospital very ill, only to be sent home, being told I just had a touch of "exam stress" by a spotty kid straight out of med school, and was then taken back next day unconscious, full-on DKA, with my folks being told it's 50/50. The spotty kid was man enough to come up and apologise, although it was maybe something to do with the senior consultant having, apparently, barked him out to an inch of his life for turning away the most obvious ever case of T1. One of the doctors thanked me later for displaying some Kussmaul breathing, because she'd only ever read about it in books!

In some ways, after being so hellishly ill, it was actually a relief to be told it was just treatable T1 and I wasn't going to die.

And then, sure, the shock kicks in - life long injections! But it turned out the needles weren't that big.

I lived in a small village at the time. I still remember the sheer number of people who came up to ask how I was doing, and cared.

There was a lot of messy, unexpected hypos. You'll have those to look forward to, there ain't no way of getting round that. Bad hypos are like drowning, but you'll always surface. Keep lots of sugar very nearby, in pockets, beside your bed. Going to the kitchen when you're under isn't viable: keep the lucozade etc. very close. Docs understate the severity of hypos, mainly because they've only read about them in books. They're not painful, it's more the confusion of thought. If you can afford a cgm, go for that: they are a god-send in seeing hypos coming and stopping them before they happen. Priceless.

That last paragraph makes it sound bleak. But, while you'll definitely have a few bad hypos, it's really not that bad. Before dx, I went ski-ing, cycling, sailing, running a lot. I thought for a short time I was disabled in some way. Guess what? After a short time getting used to the rules, I just carried on ski-ing etc. Hasn't held me back in any way at all. I've had a moderately successful career in a stressful line of business. I've been away backpacking for 4 and 6 months. I go to the pub and have a few beers. Hell, I even have a sweet dessert after a meal! All I need to do is plan ahead a bit and carry sweeties around with me!

You've joined the club at an exciting time (although I know you weren't really consulted about membership!). There's lots happening on the cgm front, docs are figuring out how to wrap islets in seaweed alginates, there's HDV which taxis insulin direct to the liver, and someone has had a go at smart insulin which switches on and off in response to glucose.

If you want some inspiration, google Eva Saxl. She and her husband made her own insulin from water buffalo pancreases during a war and saved several hundred other people to boot. Sure, it's a frustrating condition, but none of us can complain when Eva was as gutsy as that.

Honestly, it's a hassle, but you'll be fine.
Thank you. This forum is brilliant for advice!