Just diagnosed with diabetes

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks a lot hopefully in a few months time I will atleast be at normal levels, will go next week for a1c and see what happens, need to see the doc to get more meds prescribed as then travelling after that.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
When I was diagnosed a week ago I was 16.2 on fasting
I did it today first thing in morning it was 9.2
After breakfast which was 2 slices of bread and an egg its 9.5
this is after two hours of breakfast

Well done - you might want to check what egg and bread is after one hour though. I thought I could tolerate a slice of toast with egg and the 2 hour result seemed to agree, but the 1 hour was a bit high for my liking so I've stopped. Everyone reacts differently though, you could be one who can tolerate it.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Sanguine I will check it once again an hour after I eat next time
Just did two hours after lunch (Spinach cheese peas mushroom 2 breads cucumber tomatoes chick peas) and it is 9.2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Sanguine I will check it once again an hour after I eat next time
Just did two hours after lunch (Spinach cheese peas mushroom 2 breads cucumber tomatoes chick peas) and it is 9.2

Again, what was it immediately before you ate?

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit
I did not check just before the lunch, I only did it two hours after I had my lunch.
I will check it tonight again twice once just before dinner and once two hours after
I dint know i need to do it twice sorry
Definitely do it for the dinner time
I think I get it now why I need to do, it is to see the if it has gone up by much is it?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that's right. The higher you start the higher you will finish, so you need to know what the "spike" was in order to work out if that was a good meal or a not so good one. Some foods like bread will spike earlier than slower releasing low GI carbs like tomatoes, so some of your spikes will be at 1 hour and some at 2 hours depending what you ate. The more fat with the meal, the flatter the rise will be. (Think hump back bridge rather than mountain peak).
If you spike at 1 hour, it isn't such a bad thing provided you are back to almost at base at 2 hours, as that is what can happen to anyone who isn't a diabetic. Its a steep learning curve! Just keep doing it and spot your trends.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 before meal
Hows that possible?
I will update after dinner
I really hope there is no massive spike

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had 9 2 hours after breakfast same slice of bread and eggs and 7 2 hours after lunch which was brown rice and vegetables with salad

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to check one thing with members
I went for my blood test yesterday and today I got a call from GP to say I need to book an appointment for a routine checkup nothing urgent
I asked the lady on the reception to tell me my report as I had blood test for a1c and she said its slightly abnormal but nothing major in there
thats all she said, did not give me any number
but she said your glucose is 6 which is just on borderline
I asked her if she can book me an appointment today or tomorrow as I am travelling after that for 3 weeks and she said no she cant as next appointment available is in september but i am not back till then so asked me to call again and book it when I am back but if i have to wait for two weeks for the appointment I would basically end up waiting about 6 weeks from now.
has anyone been told like this that you a1c is slightly abnormal not nothing major? or are they not allowed to give the numbers?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would ring back and ask for the numbers of your A1c again. The receptionists at my Practice always give them over the phone. If she refuses, ask to speak to your doctor.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Same happened to me...i ended up being borderline ie prediabetes. My FBG was 6.5 though. Straight away i upped the exercise and watched how much carb i ate. Time will tell what difference its making though. If you are prediabetic or diabetic it's time to look after your weight too...if that's a problem...i know mine is.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Our receptionist could only say it was borderline...couldn't give numbers she said

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will ask my partner to go and get the result printed out or ask her to send email, i dont know if they will do either though.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't think they will tobe honest. Could you schedule a phone call with your doc?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will ask my partner to go and get the result printed out or ask her to send email, i dont know if they will do either though.

They won't give it to your partner without a written letter from you, and maybe not even then. You can ask for a telephone conversation with your doc. It is unreasonable to leave you with an "abnormal" comment and no explanation.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same happened to me...i ended up being borderline ie prediabetes. My FBG was 6.5 though. Straight away i upped the exercise and watched how much carb i ate. Time will tell what difference its making though. If you are prediabetic or diabetic it's time to look after your weight too...if that's a problem...i know mine is.

Weight is not a problem for me i wear trouser of 30 i am about 5.10 weight is 72 and its staying there even with reduced diet now

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem is i cant see a doc before 4th of september which sounds quite ridiculous thats like 15 days from now