Just did my first test with a meter

dudester

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So is there some guide or advice on what i should expect? My first result showed 6.2 mmol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When did you do this test?

These are the NHS guidelines for T2s
before a meal between 4 and 7
at least 90 minutes after a meal (after first bite) under 8.5

There are no official guidelines for morning fasting levels for T2s

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sure is.. I gave him a hug at the weekend at the PHC conference in Manchester and thanked him for saving my life.

I wish I could have gone. Yes, I'd like to give him a hug and thank him, too. I absolutely know for sure that I would still be injecting insulin (and five stone fatter) if it wasn't for him and Michael Mosley.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the test must be no less then 5 minutes before my post and last time i had anything to eat half 2 ish

To be honest, it doesn't mean very much. You need to be organised.
Test immediately before you eat
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Look at the rise from before to after and keep this below 2mmol/l (preferably under 1.5 or less)
If the rise is too much, there were too many carbs in that meal.

If you also keep a food diary including portion sizes and write your levels down alongside, this will help enormously. You can see exactly what you ate and decide if there was anything there that your body reacted to, and then be able to change things, either by eliminating something or cutting the portion size.. It takes a while sometimes for patterns to emerge.

If you have enough test strips you can also test immediately you get up in the morning. This is your fasting blood glucose. It is often useful to also test before you go to bed.

Keeping records is a good plan.

Reactions: daisyduck