Just feel like giving up

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sisters, eh? I'm in my 50s and my two still have the ability to say the same sort of things to me.
Your weight loss is brilliant. Every time she has a go at you, pat yourself on the back in front of her and say "Way to go me for this superb weight loss. Next step blood sugar controlled!"

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do have bariatric surgery you will be put on a low carb diet - so to me it hardly seems sensible to have major surgery and then be given a diet sheet you're very familiar with.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What's your BMI now? I wouldn't have thought surgery would be a sensible option for someone who has managed to lose so much weight already. I'm surprised they mentioned it at clinic at all. How much more weight do you have to lose?

Edit: Keep on with what you've been doing and you'll soon be on the next step - trying to maintain your weight. :) You've done so well already. :)

My BMI is 41.3, it was 49.2. I've still got 8 more stone to lose.

You've really, really done well, and you must feel more comfortable on your path now your parents and medical team are more supportive of your way og going about things. Ignoring your sister for a minute, you must feel much happier with life, I hope.

Whilst the link I'm posting is a T1 course, it talks about carb counting and insulin dose adjustments; which I would imagine would include corrections, but please don't do anything you're not comfortable with. Are you able to be in contact with your diabetes team by phone, between appointments?

Are you working these days?

I do feel more comfortable and happier in myself, my parents are on board with me and low carbing is going ok. Sticking to 150 grams each day or less, I eat minimal carbs for breakfast and lunch, no more than 10 grams and for my evening meal it's a mix of eating what I want (low carb) when my parents work late and eating with them when they finish work early and have a good family meal (med to high carb), like tonight my mum cooked steak, chips, peas, butter dried mushrooms and onions with cheesy ciabatta bread. I had the steak, peas, mushrooms, onions and 2 avocados sliced.

I'm not working, but I do have a job offer as a care assistant. Just waiting for my DBS check.

@akindrat18 , Is your sister not old enough to know better?

Yes she is, she is 18 months younger than me and does not eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes except for sweet potatoes. All she eats repeatedly is chicken, sweet potatoes, mixed frozen veg and then snacks on chocolates, biscuits and sweets in between.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BMI is 41.3, it was 49.2. I've still got 8 more stone to lose.

I do feel more comfortable and happier in myself, my parents are on board with me and low carbing is going ok. Sticking to 150 grams each day or less, I eat minimal carbs for breakfast and lunch, no more than 10 grams and for my evening meal it's a mix of eating what I want (low carb) when my parents work late and eating with them when they finish work early and have a good family meal (med to high carb), like tonight my mum cooked steak, chips, peas, butter dried mushrooms and onions with cheesy ciabatta bread. I had the steak, peas, mushrooms, onions and 2 avocados sliced.

I'm not working, but I do have a job offer as a care assistant. Just waiting for my DBS check.

Yes she is, she is 18 months younger than me and does not eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes except for sweet potatoes. All she eats repeatedly is chicken, sweet potatoes, mixed frozen veg and then snacks on chocolates, biscuits and sweets in between.

I have to say, it's great to hear you so much more positive about yourself, and of your job news. You'll make a great care assistant, I'm sure. Are you going to be based in one place or going from client to client?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to say, it's great to hear you so much more positive about yourself, and of your job news. You'll make a great care assistant, I'm sure. Are you going to be based in one place or going from client to client?

I'm going to be in one care home with several units. I don't know which unit I will be based in, but I've got a good feeling that I will be taking blood sugar levels for diabetics staying their as they asked if anyone has taken blood sugar levels before at the induction day.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to be in one care home with several units. I don't know which unit I will be based in, but I've got a good feeling that I will be taking blood sugar levels for diabetics staying their as they asked if anyone has taken blood sugar levels before at the induction day.

Sounds good to me. :)

I really hope your start date comes through quickly, and you can get on with the next phase of your life.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on the Job offer, and the weight drop. Yer Sisters food isn't a glowing endorsement of the eatwell guide is it?:D

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on the Job offer, and the weight drop. Yer Sisters food isn't a glowing endorsement of the eatwell guide is it?:D

I know it's not, she's gone from being a meat lover to a veggie, then a vegan and then back to eating chicken all day everyday