Just got out of hospital after diagnosis

ferret22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just been diagnosed & a lot to learn was released with bg level 14.6 now tested at 18.5 worried

A

asparagusp

Welcome! Could someone please tag Daisy1? Cheers. Daisy will give you a lot of useful information that all new members receive!

Reactions: Liam1955

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ferret22. welcome to the forum, @daisy1 will give you some useful information, Have a read in the type 2 section and ask any questions on the forum. Good luck with your journey,

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum - I've tagged @daisy1 for you she posts a welcome to our newbies with lots of great info - have a read and take your time digesting - it can be overwhelming at first but there is loads of people here to help - ask any questions there is always someone who can help

s.amjad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya guyz,ive just join dis online community for diabetes,i have been recently diagnosed of type 2 diabetes,cn u plz giv me any advice and tips on hw to control ma diabetes and bring ma numbers down plz.
Many thanks
From s.amjad

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@ferret22 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Hiya guyz,ive just join dis online community for diabetes,i have been recently diagnosed of type 2 diabetes,cn u plz giv me any advice and tips on hw to control ma diabetes and bring ma numbers down plz.
Many thanks
From s.amjad
I will tag daisy for you with new comer information @daisy1 And welcome!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome! Could someone please tag Daisy1? Cheers. Daisy will give you a lot of useful information that all new members receive!

It's easy to tag someone.. Just use the @ & type the name afterwards.. in this instance @daisy1 . As you type, a drop down menu of suggestions for members will apear click on the member & job done "tagged in". If the member don't show up? You just may not be spelling it right....

Gosh I feel so much more confident since you suggested I learned more about "IT"..
Cheers @asparagusp . See I spelt you right & tagged you too!

Reactions: callyandy

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ferret22

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help. This advice includes a link to the Low Carb Program which should help you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: SWUSA_

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been diagnosed & a lot to learn was released with bg level 14.6 now tested at 18.5 worried

Hi @ferret22 and welcome to the forum.

How are your blood glucose levels now? And how are you feeling?

Have you been put on any medication? If so, what is it? Often different advice is needed for different kinds of treatment programme. But don't worry, the advice that Daisy1 just gave you is great - good general advice that should help you get to grips with your T2.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @ferret22 and @s.amjad and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get that diagnosis and takes a bit of time to get your head round it all. A lot of us on here have found we can lower our blood sugars with a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating. Have a read round the threads and ask any questions you want. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

Reactions: SWUSA_

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @ferret22 and @s.amjad I'm a newbie too, diagnosed 30 September, so on the learning cliff!!.. jump around the forums and see where you land. There are some amazing people and stories, lots of detailed help and support. In my opinion, this place is your best bet at getting your head around what is happening to you. Research is now your best friend.
Keep reading, and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no stupid ones.

Good luck and welcome:)

Reactions: SWUSA_ and Prem51

ferret22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @ferret22 and welcome to the forum.

How are your blood glucose levels now? And how are you feeling?

Have you been put on any medication? If so, what is it? Often different advice is needed for different kinds of treatment programme. But don't worry, the advice that Daisy1 just gave you is great - good general advice that should help you get to grips with your T2.
BG last test 2 hours ago 12.7, Yes meds, Metaformin 500mg x 2 a day, Clopidogrel 75mg x 1 a day, Zicron 40mg x 2 a day & Atorvastatin 40mg x 1 a day. Very blurred vision had to get stronger reading glasses, feel a bit limp & tired all the time. I weigh just over 7st & size 8 in dress so not fat/overweight & do get loads of exercize

ferret22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diet is def causing probs, 1 slice of toast with butter puts BG up by 3 points, Pasta sends it through the roof, I do tend to eat plenty of fresh food, have always had a faily low carb diet & very little processed food as I mostly cook from scratch, no tinned food etc, Not fond of crisps sweets or cakes/biscuits etc, say before diagnosis prob a donut every week or 2, A bar of dark choc usually just a few bits (1 strip off the top) will last around a month but my food failing is Cheese, Love the stuff. Trying to work out what suits me & it's pretty hard going. I definatly don't need to diet or lose any more weight, I tend to only eat when hungry & often forget to eat when busy, food before being up & about for a couple of hours makes me feel ill but trying to eat something to take pills In the mornings

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Some of natures fruit n veg are too high in carbs really to keep levels good... root veg is the worst for veg.

Ie having blueberries or woodland fruits better than a banana for carbs.

Salad and roasts better without potatoes.

Do you know how many carbs you have for an average day.

Having less carbs and more fat as in cheese can generate weightloss...thats why so many do low carb eating and higher, healthier fats.

Know what you mean by forgetting to eat, except I never feel hubgry either.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ferret22 it sounds as if you don't have much weight to lose to the trick will be change your diet to reduce the amount of carbs you consume. A lot of folk round here have gone High Fat, which given it's history sounds a little strange but it does seem to help. For myself I no longer feel hungry before eating or full having eaten.
Read around the various forums and see what you think might work for you.
Please let us know how you are going.
Take a care of yourself.

ferret22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's the thing I don't eat many carbs as in potatoes bread pasta etc I have never really liked them & portions really small on those & most of that is usually left on the plate, I am far to carnivorous. Dinner last night was a beef stir fry, ingredients beef beansprouts, leek, peppers, cabbage bit of soy fresh ginger & toasted sesame oil & a couple of small spoons of rice with cardamom, cloves little bit of flaked sea salt & celery seed & still BG was 10.2 before breakfast which was a boiled egg & 1 slice of toast & cup of Chai tea, Lunch was tuna with salad no carbs at all, dressing a balsamic & olive oil mix. Also using lacto free milk in tea, no sweeteners etc. Dinner looking in the fridge & can't see anything I actually want to eat tho am hungry.
I run a Ferret rescue & get plenty of exercise cleaning out120-150 ferrets everyday, I am also a medieval re enactor & train with swords, axes & polearm weapons a few times a week as well as work so no couch potato person, Always busy doing something

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51
A

asparagusp

It's easy to tag someone.. Just use the @ & type the name afterwards.. in this instance @daisy1 . As you type, a drop down menu of suggestions for members will apear click on the member & job done "tagged in". If the member don't show up? You just may not be spelling it right....

Gosh I feel so much more confident since you suggested I learned more about "IT"..
Cheers @asparagusp . See I spelt you right & tagged you too!
Bah humbug! I'm just lazy!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the thing I don't eat many carbs as in potatoes bread pasta etc I have never really liked them & portions really small on those & most of that is usually left on the plate, I am far to carnivorous. Dinner last night was a beef stir fry, ingredients beef beansprouts, leek, peppers, cabbage bit of soy fresh ginger & toasted sesame oil & a couple of small spoons of rice with cardamom, cloves little bit of flaked sea salt & celery seed & still BG was 10.2 before breakfast which was a boiled egg & 1 slice of toast & cup of Chai tea, Lunch was tuna with salad no carbs at all, dressing a balsamic & olive oil mix. Also using lacto free milk in tea, no sweeteners etc. Dinner looking in the fridge & can't see anything I actually want to eat tho am hungry.
I run a Ferret rescue & get plenty of exercise cleaning out120-150 ferrets everyday, I am also a medieval re enactor & train with swords, axes & polearm weapons a few times a week as well as work so no couch potato person, Always busy doing something

Sounding pretty good on the low carb (rice and toast excepted!) and exercise fronts. How long have you been going this way and have you noticed any change in Fasting BG's? They often are the last ones to respond to low carb. Do you test before and after your meals to see how you react to what you eat? Lots of questions, hope that is okay?
He says, finishing with a question!