Just joined the T1 club!

jmutton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I've just recently been diagnosed as a type 1 (I'm 31) on the 16th June 2017. All came a bit of a shock after having some blood tests for something else and then got called back to the doctors to discuss the results.

My HbA1c was 163 mmol/mol and ketones in my urine. An hour later from the doctors I was up the hospital with the possibility of going onto an insulin drip. Thankfully that didn't happen! I have to say a big thank-you to my local NHS as everyone has been great.

Everything has been a bit of a roller coaster to say the least.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jmutton . Welcome to the forum. We're a friendly lot and I'm sure you'll find one or two of us useful should you have any questions. You'll have a lot to learn and a bit of advice I'll give is , try to learn a little and often, I'm 27 yrs into being T1 and still occasionally learn new stuff.
Nice you praised the NHS, they can a bit of bad press.

Reactions: noblehead
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi and welcome to the forum, I was 31 as well when diagnosed. Take care :)

Reactions: therower

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the club @jmutton :)

Be kind to yourself and give yourself lots of time to get used to things. There are plenty of friendly Type 1s here for,support and advice :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @jmutton , look forward to your contribution :)

Best wishes and take care.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Welcome to the forum I was 7yrs old when diagnosed now 18yrs old

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, it might be roller coaster-ish for a while but it'll smooth out eventually.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @jmutton Well done that's going in the right direction. Just remember it's a marathon not a sprint here in the T1 club, so getting clued up and learning as much as you can will help you manage your status for the long term, I am 5 years in myself, I certainly believe that knowledge is power :- please shout if we can help :)

Hi, I was 39 when I was diagonosed two years ago and it came a a bit of a shock to say the least. I was admitted to hospital the day after I came home from holiday with blood sugars of 169 put on an insulin drip and kept in over night then sent home with a bag of insulin injections! It has been a huge learning curve which I'm still on! Everyone at the NHS has given me fantastic support which I have been very thankful for. It does get easier in time .

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @jmutton !!!
welcome to the forum !

best advice I can give is try to remember to be kind to yourself.
it is a long long race so stumbles will happen.

all the best !

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @jmutton

Sorry you need to be here but you're certainly not alone. Type 1 at 50 years old and 3 years now. The best advice I can give you is to read around this forum as much as you can. Fabulous knowledgeable people here.

Ask anything you want whenever you want. Even if it seems silly to you, it's not.

It is a rollercoaster in the beginning but as said, it does smooth out. And also, there is always something new to learn. Knowledge is power.

Missbee100

Hi, welcome to the forum!

My son is newly diagnosed so I am on this forum for help, advice & support (he's only 9)

One thing people on here are teaching me is to be kind to yourself
You like my son are going through a time of readjustment but you will come out the other side I am sure.

Everyone on this forum is so friendly
Always ready to help
I hope things settle down for you now :)

DJNick1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I've just recently been diagnosed as a type 1 (I'm 31) on the 16th June 2017. All came a bit of a shock after having some blood tests for something else and then got called back to the doctors to discuss the results.

My HbA1c was 163 mmol/mol and ketones in my urine. An hour later from the doctors I was up the hospital with the possibility of going onto an insulin drip. Thankfully that didn't happen! I have to say a big thank-you to my local NHS as everyone has been great.

Everything has been a bit of a roller coaster to say the least.

Hi there,
that's similar to me. I had an annual blood test as part of a health check on the Monday, was called to the doctors the next day and was at the hospital on the Wednesday being introduced to insulin and injecting myself etc then flew out to Bulgaria on the Thursday. It was a real roller coaster too and trying to be a new diabetic in an all inclusive hotel was a challenge too. I'm 8 weeks in now and coping well so stick with it.