Just - One - Cor-net-to!!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I'm going to be pootling the length of Italy this September, and I'm wondering if any members have any experience (or advice) of what is possible to find to fuel long days of sight-seeing. I understand that "normal" breakfast is a coffee with a dunked cornetto - not that ice-cream, but rather a crescent-shaped roll, like a croissant. I could tolerate the milky coffee, but not the bread or pastry. I might struggle to find a plate of bacon in Rome or Naples.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@nomoredonuts
How will you resist all the pizza...??? I couldn't do it! I'm hoping to visit some Italian friends again over Easter next year and pizza and ice cream are going to be terrible temptations :(

Reactions: nomoredonuts

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reasonably sized hotels usually include ham, cheese and hard boiled eggs in the breakfast buffet although most of it is breads, pastries and cakes, never any chance of bacon unless you stay at a Hilton or similar. I recently spent 2 weeks in Apulia, pizza and pasta were everywhere and I am told were excellent, but unless you want fish or seafood every night it is difficult to find other dishes, even salads were pathetic compared with the UK? Incidentally if you are in Rome I can thoroughly recommend eating at the Roma Termini Station, there is an excellent "hawkers market" type food hall called Mercato Centrale.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to be pootling the length of Italy this September, and I'm wondering if any members have any experience (or advice) of what is possible to find to fuel long days of sight-seeing. I understand that "normal" breakfast is a coffee with a dunked cornetto - not that ice-cream, but rather a crescent-shaped roll, like a croissant. I could tolerate the milky coffee, but not the bread or pastry. I might struggle to find a plate of bacon in Rome or Naples.
Salami, salami and more salami? Bit of cheese on the side? I'm sure there will be loads of amazing delicatessens everywhere..

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As above hotels do meat and cheese.
Lunch can be hit and miss.
Dinner good restaurants do meat and fish with veg or antipasti (veg, salami, ham)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@nomoredonuts
How will you resist all the pizza...??? I couldn't do it! I'm hoping to visit some Italian friends again over Easter next year and pizza and ice cream are going to be terrible temptations :(
I have completely given up my beloved pasta (I'm an ex-chef so it was hard) and avoid pastry. However there is absolutely NO WAY I'm going to Napoli without having at least one pizza. And I fully intend to have a bowl of linguine carbonara, with rich cream and egg. I will attempt to walk or swim off the excess sugar, since as my DN says "you're doing very well but you need a life as well".

Reactions: Energize

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reasonably sized hotels usually include ham, cheese and hard boiled eggs in the breakfast buffet although most of it is breads, pastries and cakes, never any chance of bacon unless you stay at a Hilton or similar. I recently spent 2 weeks in Apulia, pizza and pasta were everywhere and I am told were excellent, but unless you want fish or seafood every night it is difficult to find other dishes, even salads were pathetic compared with the UK? Incidentally if you are in Rome I can thoroughly recommend eating at the Roma Termini Station, there is an excellent "hawkers market" type food hall called Mercato Centrale.
What a great tip! We're going to be coming into Rome every day on a little narrow-gauge train right there. And I have been known to eat seafood three meals a day on holiday - so bring it on Italy!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salami, salami and more salami? Bit of cheese on the side? I'm sure there will be loads of amazing delicatessens everywhere..
Thanks Mark. It's a bit obvious now I think about it. We are in our own apartments in both centres so I could just buy tons of meat and cheese, wrap it up and snack on it while I'm queuing for everything. Or better still, have two coffees and cream for breakfast, then last until I find a deli, then try out my newly acquired words of Italian. Grazie.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As above hotels do meat and cheese.
Lunch can be hit and miss.
Dinner good restaurants do meat and fish with veg or antipasti (veg, salami, ham)
Thanks @Diakat My worry was starting a long day with only coffee in me but I was forgetting that we have apartments. So I could even fill a suitcase at the Kwik-E-Mart with some of Apu's excellent bacon and eat before I go sight-seeing. Evenings - I'm sure I can find something. I've learned to say "I don't eat carbs" in French and Portuguese on the last two holidays!

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Diakat My worry was starting a long day with only coffee in me but I was forgetting that we have apartments. So I could even fill a suitcase at the Kwik-E-Mart with some of Apu's excellent bacon and eat before I go sight-seeing. Evenings - I'm sure I can find something. I've learned to say "I don't eat carbs" in French and Portuguese on the last two holidays!
Just come back from a week cycling in northern Italy, breakfast was coffee cheese and sliced meats. I skipped lunch just drank lots of water. Evening meals not a problem, some delicious food there. Managed to avoid pizza but not pasta, didn't have too much effect on my bsl. Enjoy yourself!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's very encouraging! I'm promising myself to not waste the occasion. A little of what you fancy etc..

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just bumping this thread as I’m now on the final few days of this cultural trip. Pisa-Florence-Tuscany-Rome-Naples-Amalfi. I’ve behaved a little too well so far. Time to let my remaining hair down. Thanks to all for your advice and good wishes. xx

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Incidentally if you are in Rome I can thoroughly recommend eating at the Roma Termini Station, there is an excellent "hawkers market" type food hall called Mercato Centrale.
We found this. It was very popular. I had an excellent raspberry panacotta gelato there, topped with double cream.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in Italy a few months ago and didn’t find it a problem. Eggs for breakfast and steak/chicken and salad with a glass of wine for other meals. Veggies also an option. My BG was very low all week with the help of lots of walking. Enjoy your holiday.