Just started on insulin and informed DVLA.....how long does decision take..

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do you return licence when returning the notification form or do they issue a new licence and ask for the old one. ? Three months without a physical licence seems a bit harsh.
If less than a couple of months to run on it I think you can keep it. But if it a normal length licence then yes you must return it.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you return licence when returning the notification form or do they issue a new licence and ask for the old one. ? Three months without a physical licence seems a bit harsh.

If the licence has less than three months to run to expiry there is no need to return the licence to DVLA.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Theres a tick box stating that it has less than 3 minths to run so you are keeping it.

Hoever don't forget you canalso get ahefty fine for not updating your photos every 10 years.....so always worth checking that and doing at the same time.

Reactions: 2 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will.be my first time to send the licence,but also need it as I car hire often. Wondering how long I would be without licence.

iHs

The DVLA can if they want to that is, ask for a report to be done by a GP or hospital consultant regarding a diabetic's ability to be able to drive safely. This is random though so wont affect everyone. Some people will need to see their GP probably with readings from a bg meter and some won't need to see their GP as the GP will just use a consultant's report and use that instead.

Edited to remove offensive post from another member. CC

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Checked your BS this morning?

Edited to remove offensive post from another member. CC

SeanThorne

My licence has no restrictions on my diabetes... Type 1 insulin dependent. My logic with the DVLA is to be honest regardless. It's ways the best policy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My licence has no restrictions on my diabetes... Type 1 insulin dependent. My logic with the DVLA is to be honest regardless. It's ways the best policy

What do you mean no restrictions on your diabetes?? Surely its a 3 year licence?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As a type 1 you would have a restricted licence 1,2,3 years plus the size and type of vehicles you can drive, unless you have a medical for the extra towing and weight.