Just wanted to share nice HbA1c result

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. I thought I'd post my latest HbA1c result as I was anticipating a bit of a hike having snuck back into the habit of croissant munching in the morning and having a few chips with my dinner (not to mention the odd pizza) over the past 6 months or so. I was dreading it, having fought quite hard to get my numbers down to 41 despite having to take all kinds of drugs including steroids to help fight rejection of a transplanted kidney. To say I am happy to see it is now 37 would be an understatement. I am not just posting to gloat; I am thinking that this indicates that you can ease up a wee bit (only a wee bit mind you) if you have managed your levels well for a couple of years. Still, I shall continue to monitor my levels and try to resist further sloppiness. Chuffed !:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!
I am now experiencing croissant envy.

I have found that I can ease up on carbs a bit too - although in somewhat different circumstances.

However, I am also finding that any sort of regular carb consumption (say 5-6x a week rather than 1-2x a week) seems to result in a general rise in blood glucose across the board. Not much, just a 0.5mmol/l increase on nearly every reading. But it suggests to me that it reflects an equivalent rise in insulin resistance. So I seem to do better with irregular carbisms, rather than consistent ones. Hope that makes sense.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!!!!!

Last night I dreamed I was sitting at a long lunch counter. The server was very slowly proceeding towards me, giving bread rolls to each of the other diners. He got to me, I grabbed the roll, had one bite, then remembered "whoops, I'm a Type 2 diabetic." Then the alarm rang (a few minutes ago; I am in America).

I didn't know I had bread envy, let alone croissant envy!

Well done!!!!!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats, @pleinster. This is wonderful news, especially given the challenge (e.g. steroids) you have to face. I am really happy for you.

Reactions: pleinster

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will now sometime have bread if it comes as part of a meal, but NEVER at home. We also don't eat out more than once a week, and most of the time the meal does not come with bread. Given that most of us were addicted to carbs, how do we "ease up on carbs" while controlling our addiction?

Clearly no one will tell a former alcoholic that it is OK to have “just one drink”, therefore what should we do as former carbholics?

@pleinster is different as his diabetes was clearly not due to being a carbholics, unlike most of us.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! You have it tougher than many of us so well done and enjoy the croissants. Long may it last. Thank you for returning to the fold!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That is such great news! The hard work certainly paid off and you can congratulate yourself on a job very well done.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
May I add my congratulations, I have also found I am now a bit more carb tolerant these days.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that is a good day News day. Well done and glad we could read about it.
Chuffed is right indeed.
:)

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to see you posting.After just a year of low carbing,I'm finding that I can also have small amounts of carbs with little effect(so it seems).For me crunch time will be in two weeks when I get my blood results!Back to more celery then!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations!
I am now experiencing croissant envy.

I have found that I can ease up on carbs a bit too - although in somewhat different circumstances.

However, I am also finding that any sort of regular carb consumption (say 5-6x a week rather than 1-2x a week) seems to result in a general rise in blood glucose across the board. Not much, just a 0.5mmol/l increase on nearly every reading. But it suggests to me that it reflects an equivalent rise in insulin resistance. So I seem to do better with irregular carbisms, rather than consistent ones. Hope that makes sense.
Makes me think about food intolerances and rheir management in the context of T2 diabetes being sometimes described as an intolerance to carbs
Many years ago I was diagnosed with a range of food ontolerances, and was advised by the allergy clinic I was under that once my system had been desnsitized by an extended period of esclusion and testing then I would be ok with most of the foods that created a reacion as long as my system wasnt challenged by foods from the same food family ( eg I reacted to most foods from the nightshade family which includes tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and various others) more often than every 3-4 days

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I thought I'd post my latest HbA1c result as I was anticipating a bit of a hike having snuck back into the habit of croissant munching in the morning and having a few chips with my dinner (not to mention the odd pizza) over the past 6 months or so. I was dreading it, having fought quite hard to get my numbers down to 41 despite having to take all kinds of drugs including steroids to help fight rejection of a transplanted kidney. To say I am happy to see it is now 37 would be an understatement. I am not just posting to gloat; I am thinking that this indicates that you can ease up a wee bit (only a wee bit mind you) if you have managed your levels well for a couple of years. Still, I shall continue to monitor my levels and try to resist further sloppiness. Chuffed !:)
Nice one

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Thanks so much for all the nice replies. I do realise that without some very valuable input from people on this site, I would be less aware of what needs to be done to keep things under control.

Reactions: Prem51