karela bitter melon tablets

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have taken Swanson , Bitter Melon , 500mg , for a month and it has helped , (I think) as I have also lost weight. (approx 7 lbs ) . I got a bit dizzy / light headed / headache recently so cut down the Bitter Melon ( Before which I cut down my 1 caffeine coffee a day etc to rule out which) . I am Pre diabetic but sometimes my BG goes up in the high 7's .
The first thing my blood did was to go up again (liver dump came back) . Today 6.0 2hrs after Brekkie .

I have seemed to have reacted to the Bitter Melon Capsules (I am on a lot of Blood Pressure Meds) .

My BP has been OK sometimes lower during this , so watch out when you take the capsules . I wonder if the capsules also have caffeine in them / guarana? or maybe I got them from a bad source?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Cinnamon with soya based plain unsweetened yogurt for breakfast and it DOES lower my blood glucose levels.

It's available from Holland & Barrett.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am really interested in taking karela (bitter melon) tablets to help lower my bg. I looked on line to see if I could find the dose of karela supplement that would be safe to take with Metformin, but could not find it. Please can anyone who is using/has used karela tablets share their experience or any recent research links. Thanks in advance.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had bitter melon for dinner last week. My wife cooks it with egg. We ate it as a side dish to some fried chicken strips. It was / is quite palatable.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really interested in taking karela (bitter melon) tablets to help lower my bg. I looked on line to see if I could find the dose of karela supplement that would be safe to take with Metformin, but could not find it. Please can anyone who is using/has used karela tablets share their experience or any recent research links. Thanks in advance.

Guna - I think you'd probably get more responses, if you started a new thread for your question. This one has been dormant a while.

If you'd like your post moved, to create a new thread, just tag a Mod, andlet them know, including which sub-forum you would like the new thread to sit in.

ShortStuff

It would be interesting to get updates from the early posters

I don’t take any supplements for my BG but would if people felt sure they were helping

I must delve into my books to remind myself what Briffa/Bernstein/Fung etc say I have a feeling Fung is anti but I can’t temember

Reactions: Guna108

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I do use Cinnamon, however I'm not sure about it reducing BG - more likely it just slows down the breakdown of Carbs into Sugars,

I strongly suggest that rather than put your faith in supplements you follow a LCHF lifestyle (doesn't need calorie restriction) instead - since it has been proven to work by hundreds (if not thousands) of members of this forum.

Reactions: Guna108