Kayaking in Greenland

cuanard

Was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 16years ago when working in a stressful job. Was able to control this by diet, exercise and stress reduction and now that I have been retired for 10 years it stays in the 5.6 to 6.5 glucose intolerance range on annual blood tests and I don't have any problems other than being careful to stay warm at the extremities. My main exercise is sea kayaking and I have been away on expeditions for up to 10 days. I also mountain bike once per week and swim twice per week and am pretty fit and not overweight.
Reason for this post is that at the age of 65 I am intending to go to Greenland kayaking for 14 days next July. This introduces potential problems from the colder climate leading to burning up more calories and a drier climate leading to water loss. This is compounded by medium intensity work rate kayaking for 4 to 5 hours per day and trying to judge the best expedition rations to eat on a wilderness camping trip, as a lot of these are manufactured with a higher sugar content than I normally eat.
My approach would be to ensure I stay warm and dry, well hydrated and eat my normal breakfast, lunch, & dinner (with some ration packs) and to supplement this with Jordans Frusli (cereal, raisin and hazelnut) bars (10.4gm sugar per 30 gm bar) on a hourly basis. ie slightly more carb/sugar intake than normal to maintain energy levels. Any advice welcome.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The Inuit diet should be helpful & low carb. I presume you will be training before you go, so get your system used to raw seal blubber & dried fish, etc. :mrgreen: :shock: :idea: :!: