Kebab

Marzeater

How carb heavy is a kebab?
I had a mixed kebab with salad last night and 5 hours later, feeling really **** I tested for a hypo and was shocked to see a reading of 8.6.
This was after my usual after dinner walk with the dog.
I was surprised to see such a high reading - the highest I've seen for a long time.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
What exactly does a kebab mean for you? To me it is skewered cubes of meat, grilled. Then there can be sauces or marinades or none. I also do not know what you mean by a mixed kebab. Does this mean meat and vegetables?

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
Kebabs from my local takeaway are a large open pitta bread containing assorted meats in garlic and/or chilli sauce, topped with a huge pile of salad and coleslaw. This lot fills a large dinner plate, and you can have doner meat, steak, chicken or mixed.

So I'd calculate for the pitta, the sauces and the salad....

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Pitta bread - about 60g carb.
Coleslaw - often made with sugar.
Salad dressing and/or sauces - often made with sugar.

The meat ought to be carb free - but what is that stuff that turns on an upright spit?

So - eat your next one unsauced, no coleslaw and no pitta bread!

Sorry!

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
The meat ought to be carb free - but what is that stuff that turns on an upright spit?

It's called Doner meat, traditionally its made from lamb and spices which flavour the meat, its extremely fatty and high in calories but that aside I don't like the fact that the meat is heated up time and time again, had one or two doner kebabs in my younger days but don't much care for one now.

Nigel

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
There's a good reason that most of the kebab shops are busiest after the pubs close!

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Some Doner makers mix breadcrumbs in to the meat so that it doesn't fall apart while cooking. Some put in more than the others to save a few kilos of meat but some less because they want to sell a good Kebab so that their customers return and they make more money. The breadcrumbs also soak in the fat and makes the Doner look as if it has less fat in it. So the breadcrumbs obviously adds carbs to the Pitta bread but how much I have no idea.

I only eat the meat, salad and half of the pitta bread and stay between 6-7 2 hours after eating. If you ate the whole bread that could explain the high reading.

I always have a look at the color of the Doner before I order it, if it's golden brown(ish) I'll buy it but if it's a dark color then I will either buy something else or just walk out of the shop. Golden browm means that it's pure lamb meat but if it's dark then it's either mutton or a mixture of lamb and mutton or something else.

The wife and I share one about every couple of months. Had one tonight (half the bread though) and my BG 2 hours later was 6.8, maybe not so much bread crumbs in this one.

I have mine cooked well done so that most of the fat has run out, don't like it soaked in fat.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kebab? My takeaway of choice.

A large chicken shish (dry griddled chicken breast) with peppers and onions, a large serving of the raw veg with a little lemon juice and a hefty dollop of home made garlic mayo when I get in.

My other half gets the pitta/naan and my tomatoes along with the chillies that I hate. My local always gives him extra portions and I get more red cabbage.

wiflib

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Ahh! A doner kebab. This is what I order to come in a box, no bread. All the salad though easy on the tabouli if it has a lot of cracked wheat (bulgur) in it and I just love the sumac.. Garlic sauce for me too.

viv1969

Makes me chuckle how people draw such a line between lamb and mutton. Meat classed as mutton can differ in age from that sold as lamb by as little as a single day.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my kinda thread! I'm a kebab FIEND!!! Shame that the actual Doner has got so much extra **** in it (Chicken Doner also looks a btit iffy to me!) - but Lamb Shish is great, too. Lamb Kofte - also great. Never touch a pitta bread, and make sure I get plenty o' salad.

W/Chilli & garlic sauce.

<<slobber>>

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
viv1969 said:
Makes me chuckle how people draw such a line between lamb and mutton. Meat classed as mutton can differ in age from that sold as lamb by as little as a single day.

True but you still can taste the difference and see the difference in the color when cooked, especially in Doner. The thing is that when you but mutton you'll probably never know exactly how many days older then being a lamb it was when they slaughtered it.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Patch said:
This is my kinda thread! I'm a kebab FIEND!!! Shame that the actual Doner has got so much extra **** in it (Chicken Doner also looks a btit iffy to me!) - but Lamb Shish is great, too. Lamb Kofte - also great. Never touch a pitta bread, and make sure I get plenty o' salad.

W/Chilli & garlic sauce.

<<slobber>>

I know that most DOner makers throw in a lot of fat to save on meat but the Chicken Doner is only marinated in loads of oil, herbs and some sort of tomato sauce or something like that. They can't mix anything into it because the meat is stack up on top of each other and is not minced like Lamb Doner.

Lamb Koefte is the same as Doner, other stuff mixed into it but still tastes great.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Gappy said:
There's a good reason that most of the kebab shops are busiest after the pubs close!

10 pints of larger or beer is a prerequisite to having a doner kebab don't you think! :wink: (although it was in my younger days :lol: )

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Nige - it's becuase after 7 hrs of drinking lager, it takes a nice hot blob of chilli sauce to wake up those numb tastebuds! :lol:

Works a treat, though... 8)

ClaireG 06

I remember the days of finding a half eatern doner down the back of the sofa the morning after the night before :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a name for that...

Breakfast! :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My brother would often finish off his Indian Takeaway from the night before at breakfast, it always made my stomach turn! :(

Nigel