Keto diet = no/few hypos?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Troy Stapleton is a T1 radiologist and cyclist. In this lecture he describes how much he hated having hypos, and how his bg levels have flattened since he started eating a keto diet, with hypos rare and no need to consume carbs on long bike rides. He also recounts similar stories from other sports people. Watching this video I wondered how many of the T1s here are also eating a keto diet, and whether they are also comparatively hypo free.
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...abetes-shares-what-diet-works-for-him-511177/

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am keto and because it require much less insulin I rarely have hypos and if I do they are never serious. Just eat a carb or two.
When I ate carbs I was all over the place. My body prefers keto 100%

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In this lecture he describes how much he hated having hypos

We all hate having hypos, they aren't pleasant, but I do worry that newly dx'd reading up about stuff on this site and elsewhere think, ooh, keto, no hypos, sorted.

It's completely possible to live a non-keto T1 life without serious hypos. I suspect the fans of keto just haven't figured out how to use insulin properly.

Keto certainly works for some people, each to their own, I'm not going to criticise that if someone wants to do it, but the whole idea of "going into ketosis" , taking steps to stay there, doesn't chime that well with the way I want to live my life.

I'm not a lab rat and I like having scope to eat a broad range of food which keto woyld deny me. I quite like wandering down to Taste of Italy after getting off the tram from work to have a panini.

Keto/Bernstein would say no, but I know that I can do that perfectly safely without any hypo or rollercoaster risks at all.

Here's a way of testing whether keto would work for you. You've gone out for brunch: it's a full English breakfast. Are you just going to eat the bacon and eggs, or will you eat the toast and hash browns as well?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lchf does the same flattens the ups and downs and reduces the amount of insulin. im down 2/3rds . no restrictive diet should be started until your insulin dosing is sorted and the medics are happy. and then slowly. you must constantly adjust the number of clicks you need. to not do so could be very risky. as we lost a good member today from a hypo we need to do things carefully.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am keto and because it require much less insulin I rarely have hypos and if I do they are never serious. Just eat a carb or two.
When I ate carbs I was all over the place. My body prefers keto 100%

I would like to know your suggestions for breakfast,lunch, dinner including snacks please?

I would love to try lchf.

Thank you!