ketones??

bonkers82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is a really silly question, and I'm not sure how to word it. Have been Type 2 diagnosed from April 2011. Sometimes my poo smells like perming lotion????? I have googles this and found reference to this being a sign of ketones????? Can anybody clarify this for me please? I found out I was Diabetic on 4th April 2011 and on &th was rushed into hospital. On the 4th I had ketones ++ in my urine. The doctors dont know whether I was rushed in due to my sugar level being 25 or a reaction to being put on Metformin. I personally think it was the ketones as my sypmtoms from that night are more like ketoacidosis than a hyper. Somewhat confused by this all and am worried that the ketones are back and obviously dont want to be a plank by asking the doctors this daft question. Sorry for the long winded nature :?

Grazer

Hi! Don't think the doctor will think you're a plank. If you have concerns, you should see him I think.

bonkers82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
lol awe I know that but have you ever heard of this connection?? At the minute I know I have been managing my diabetes badly :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
bonkers82 said:
lol awe I know that but have you ever heard of this connection?? At the minute I know I have been managing my diabetes badly :(

When you say you have been managing your diabetes badly, how badly?
I ask because you say you have type 2 diabetes. Were you not tested for type 1? Alarm bells normaly ring when someone has ketones as it's not often a type 2 has them at diagnoses.

bonkers82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had been doing really well, my last big blood test was 6% I think? Was found to be Diabetic last April purely by accident. TBH I went to docs with a gynae problem and it was necessary for a urine sample to be taken and it was here the initial ketones were found, blood sugar test was 15 I think and the proper blood test came back the next day at 19 with a Hab1? of 10.8. By the fourth day later my glucose level had rose to 25 and I became very sick VERY quick. I just phoned 999, mad sweats laboured breathing stomach cramps etc. Hospital took bloods and put me on saline drip. I really knuckled down and got everything under control. However from Xmas my blood shave been quite high. Over indulgence was main problem plus I stopped smoking in October. Weight has quickly crept on. I have however lost around 7.9lb since last MOnday?? I really dont know what to think and it is SO hard to get appointment at docs. Not sure if Im over reacting being a drama queen that I am.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No you are not over reacting,
You need to be seen ASP as you could be type 1.5 so now need insulin. Please before you get any worse either ring NHS direct or get down to A&E and say you suspect you have ketones and is there a pos you are 1.5 and not 2 so need insulin.
You do not want to go into DKA

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bonkers! (Love your username :lol: )!

Please go back to your doctor asap (tomorrow as an emergency!!!). Tell him you need to be tested for LADA, other forms of Type 1.5 and Type 1. Seriously, it sounds like you might have been misdiagnosed as Type 2 and really have a slow onset form of type 1 and need insulin.

This happened to me. You must get tested for insulin deficiency. You need GAD antibody test and C-Peptide test and, preferably, fasting insulin test.

You are not over-reacting - it is serious if you have been misdiagnosed. Best to get it ruled out.

Take care

Smidge

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi - I was diagnosed as type two a few years ago.

A few months ago I felt really rough and thought I might have a throat infection brewing. Went to the doctors and discovered my bg was over 25 and my ketones were off the chart!!

Doctor wanted me to go to hospital as he thought i was going into dka, but agreed to let me go home and test by bg's regularly - he insisted that for the first day i stay at home and not move much - not really sure why... after that he let me go back to work, but i had to take it easy and go to the surgery twice a day for a check up - had to check both bg and urine for ketones about every hour...once the ketones were back down to normal, i just went to the surgery one a week, and now the doctor just rings every couple of weeks to check my bgs.

Doctor has now decided I am type 1.5 - i haven't had a test to confirm this - should i insist?

I am not on insulin, but the doctor has said it is just a matter of time... He increased my medication and added gliclazide, but as I am currently trying the newcastle diet i am on half my normal meds. I am allowed some testing strips now on prescription (bit of a bonus) as the doctor wants to keep a close eye on my bg's.

Bonkers - i think you should go to the doctors. even if like me you are just closely monitored for a while, it will put your mind at rest x you do not want to go into dka xx

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you go see your doctor and request Keytone Testing strips that you keep at home. They are basic urine strips that will let you know what level of keytones you have, i have suffered several times ending up in hospital due to keytones and know not to take them lightly. Even if its not related to your keytones its still worth getting the strips for the future.

For me sure signs of Keytones are nausea extra thirsty and constant need to go to the loo, i havent heard of poo having a smell but then never checked. I would strongly suggest a visit to the doc's just to put your mind at rest and to get the strips.

Hope you feel better
Shari

bonkers82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you to everyone who responded to my query. I have since got Ketone testing strips and so far they have been negative. I will continue to keep a check though.
I suspect my slacking on foods has caused the Diabetes to "misbehave"! lol.

I did however read somewhere on the internet about the "perm lotion" smell?? Remains to be seen.

Again thanks to all.

Continue to look after yourselves.

Bonkers :p

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
bonkers82 said:
I did however read somewhere on the internet about the "perm lotion" smell?? Remains to be seen.

You could try rubbing some in your hair to see if it makes it curly...