Ketostix/hypostop/glucagon - do you get on prescription?

goji

Hi

I'm just wondering whether you get any of these things on prescription: Ketostix, Hypostop and Glucagon?

I had all of this stuff given to me when I first got diagnosed but I never had any on prescription again. I was thinking of asking my GP for some Ketostix but didn't know if they get prescribed or if you have to buy them yourself?

Thanks
Goji

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Goji.

They are all available on prescription, however you do have to ASK for them. You do not get them automatically. You also have to show a genuine need for them as well.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i have ketostix and hypostop on repeat prescription :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My "not so nice PCT" doesn't like to giv out anything. However. Neither Ketostix not glucotabs are very expensive.
Hana

keeer

I have ketostix and hypostop on prescription, I also have E45 which is rather good (took a lot of asking). My dad's doing the atkins diet and uses the ketostix to check how well he's doing. Also get statins on my prescription (this was a medical paper suggesting all people with diabetics take them).

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
as far as I know, all of the 'above' are available on prescription for type 1's, but as some have already said, you have to ask for them. Glugogen doesn't have a very long life span and needs to be replaced if it's not used so GP's may moan about prescribing if you don't suffer from debilitating hypo's :) I find a quick visit or call to my friendly neighbourhood diabetes clinic at my local hospital means I can get a letter which tells my GP to prescribe whatever they ask him to! :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My pharmacist asked me to tell him in advance when my glucagon was about to run out of date, then he gets a new one with the longest shelf life (2 years)... makes sense to me.